inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What stands out in your mind about the year 1990?

Written By: paradigm on 05/26/09 at 1:40 am

This particular year seems to be unique, apparently, and a lot of people consider it to still slightly reminiscent of the 80's and not exactly when the 90's truly started. I'm wondering from those who were teenagers/kids at the time how 1990 felt to you. What was going on during this year? I'm interested in any stories at all...it's the year when I was born so I don't remember a lot about it, but it holds a special place in my heart.  :)

Subject: Re: What stands out in your mind about the year 1990?

Written By: joeman on 05/26/09 at 9:37 am

This particular year seems to be unique, apparently, and a lot of people consider it to still slightly reminiscent of the 80's and not exactly when the 90's truly started. I'm wondering from those who were teenagers/kids at the time how 1990 felt to you. What was going on during this year? I'm interested in any stories at all...it's the year when I was born so I don't remember a lot about it, but it holds a special place in my heart.  :)

People sang along with Mc Hammer and Vanilla Ice, plus much of the 80's bands were still around.  Alot of shows came to an end like Family Ties, Alf, and others.  The Simpsons were really popular with the hit, "Do the Bart Man".  Also, the cold war almost came to an end.

Written By: woops on 05/26/09 at 11:02 am

Nothing since I was 6, though probably "Tiny Toons  Adventures" and "In Living Color"

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/26/09 at 3:19 pm

i was born that year.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/26/09 at 7:45 pm

I started junior high school the Fall of 1990.  :)

Written By: Frank on 05/27/09 at 3:25 pm

I met my wife that year.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/27/09 at 8:04 pm

TURTLE POWER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFsTr0kGAqU- Remember this song by Partners in Kryme? If you watched the TMNT movie that came out, I'm sure it's going to flood back in my brains! Good old school rap!

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/09 at 8:11 pm

The debut of (IMO) the greatest sitcom of the 90s ...

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3997/wingstitlescreen.jpg

Written By: 90steen on 05/28/09 at 3:22 pm

I have a lot of good childhood memories from early 1990. The summer and fall were pretty dull and boring.

My biggest memory was in July when me, my sister, and my parents were all on vacation for a whole week. Me and my sister were miserable because the weather was horrible and it almost flooded. We went to go see RoboCop 2 for my mom's birthday.

Not really the best year for music.. And it is pretty unique. I wouldn't call it "still the 80's" but I wouldn't call it "the 90's" either.

Written By: Midas on 06/02/09 at 5:06 pm

Finished high school.  DJ'd at a teen club where the kids wanted to hear hip-hop pop like MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and Bell Biv Devoe.  Would leave my gig to go across town to after hours clubs to dance to progressive and acid house trax.  Started drinking coffee and its variants.  Witnessed the hottest day ever in Phoenix, June 26, at 122F. Consumed a considerable amount of alcohol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/09 at 9:14 pm

M.C. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, TMNT the Movie, Home Alone

Written By: 80sfan on 06/03/09 at 11:48 pm

That was the year my family and I left Vietnam and went to the Phillipines for the rest of the year.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/09 at 12:59 am

Alot changed for me that year too (I was 8-9), it started out kinda depressing as one of my grandma's had passed away the previous December, and we moved from my favorite house in October. It started getting good at the end though.

I like the music of 1991/92 alot more actually. Don't get me wrong '90 had some awesome songs too, but I guess alot of the teenpop was never really my thing. Great movies though, I actually saw Ernest Goes to Jail and Home Alone in the theatres - that's right around when I first got into movies.

Written By: tv on 06/04/09 at 12:08 pm

I first got into watching Pro Football and watch the New York Giants win the Super Bowl. I remember my Dad's side of the family came up to Jersey for the thanksgiving holidays. Besides that I don;t remember anything significant.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/08/09 at 8:51 pm

In a few years, I left junior high, for high school.

::)

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/09 at 8:55 pm

1990:  the year of 'Total Recall', a blockbuster Sci-Fi action film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger that wasn't really all that good.

Written By: woops on 06/09/09 at 11:56 am

Bugs Bunny 50th...

I wonder if Warner Bros. would celebrate the 70th since the wabbit  is now virtually obscure now...  :-\\

Written By: wildcard on 06/09/09 at 1:01 pm

I was a big Simpsons fan when it first came out.  I never liked Hammer stuff, but that was everywhere.

Written By: 90steen on 06/12/09 at 10:45 pm

The debut of Beverly Hills, 90210 certainly comes to mind.

Written By: Davester on 06/14/09 at 12:12 am

Turned 21 in 1990 so I could buy my own alkeemahal.  Actually, I was already doing that... :P

The prelude to Gulf War - Season One.  I wish the networks would cancel this one...

More 1990 stuff...

Some albums I purchased were Depeche Mode Violator, Bell Biv Devoe Poison, George Michael's Listen Witout Prejudice, Faith No More Epic, and Winger In the Heart of the Young...

Pop music was entering advanced stage suck...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/19/09 at 7:57 pm

Gosh, I can't say much about 1990. I was FOUR years old. All I remember is entering pre-kindergarten and being the only child that knew how to read. (I started reading when I was 3) I don't really remember much else. I hadn't found Michael Jackson yet...and according to my mom I was head over heels for New Kids on the Block. I don't remember, but I do know I have a NKOTB blanket.

Now if only my dear mother had put that much effort into MJ for me, my collection might be even larger. LOL.

Written By: karen on 07/21/09 at 2:55 pm

One of my brothers got married (I was one of the bridesmaids), Dai graduated from uni and I turned 21.

Check for new replies or respond here...