inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone miss the '90s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/04/09 at 11:40 am

I was born in 1990, and can trace my earliest memories back to around 1994 or so. I have tons of memories from around 1995 to 1996, and the mid 90s was for me a very peaceful, innocent time. A much better time, imo, for music, for movies and TV than today, a much more laid back time in general looking back in retrospect. Hell even the video games were better. I love 2D side scrollers, adventure games and the early shooters and RPGs--It must've been a really exciting time to be a gamer; so much was being explored, dreamed up---A golden age for the video game industry. Now, while the graphics are more realistic, different modes and genres of gameplay are largely set; there are no HUGE surprises anymore.

I miss that time and wish I had been older to enjoy it more.

Subject: Re: Does anyone miss the '90s?

Written By: paradigm on 06/04/09 at 12:55 pm

Of course we do, that's why we have this forum!  :) I was born in 1990 too, but I can actually trace my memories as far back as 1993, at least as far as I know. I had a older sister who graduated high school this year, which helps me reconstruct a lot of memories. I distinctly remember a lot of little things about this period of time... I remember her big hair drenched in spray, I remember her school binder covered in pink gel pen, I remember a lot of the songs on the radio at the time, I remember watching MTV and seeing a lot of different music videos, I remember playing Sega Genesis all the time, I remember the movies and games and roller rinks and arcades and a lot more. 1990-1995 is a pretty surreal time, marked by youthful enthusiasm and sensation. I definitely miss it, so many fleeting memories of what was going on at the time, my only real connection to this period of time is through these fuzzy floor-level childhood memories, but it was such a happy time to be a kid. If I was a teenager/adult during this period of time, I may have been a lot more cynical about things like popular culture and music (like I am now  :-X), but as a kid, things were just fun.

The late 90's are a little less happy for me. My dad's brother died in early 1997, and he had a really hard time dealing with it. I remember he drank a lot and felt pretty miserable. There was a lot confusion, a lot of moving between places. And then, at some point, my dad disappeared out of my life for reasons I didn't really know at the time (Much later, I found found out he went to jail for possessing methamphetamine. My mother lied to me and told me he got arrested for hitchhiking. In truth, she was really the one with the drug problem and my dad pretty much took the blame) I ended up moving to East Texas for about a year or so. I actually have a lot of great memories of the countryside and all the fun I had, but I hated the school I had to attend. I eventually moved back to Fort Worth and lived with both my parents, but they really didn't get along during this period of time (not that they ever really did, but it came to a head around this time), and so there was a lot of anger and frustration. It was probably around '98/'99 that I lost a lot of my confidence and happiness. I gained a lot of weight, dealt with bullies, hated alot the rap/pop music of the time, had a pretty unstable relationship with my parents, became increasingly emotional and even contemplated suicide (before I even turned 10...geez). A lot of negative emotions during this time, many of which I've repressed/forgotten. I'll never forget New Year's Eve '99, when I cried my eyes out because I thought everything about my life was wrong. So I really don't think I would want to go back to that period of time. But early to mid 90's? Man, I miss it.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/09 at 1:46 pm

Man I was born in 1988 and all these 1990ers are making me feel old, Lol.

Kids born in 1993 are old enought to drive now, that's crazy!

I remember 1990-1993 was very 80's for a kid like me.

1994 was an okay year, but it was 1995 to 1998 that was the golden age for me.

The 90's was great for me, except for 1999. I hated pop culture of that year!
When teen pop started to dominate I started to hate music! And then rap become dominant that year also.

But my personal life in the 90's, even 1999 was great!

Written By: woops on 06/04/09 at 2:31 pm

Honestly, I feel like not much have changed in pop culture for the past 12 years with a few changes and different faces  :P

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/09 at 2:31 pm

Of course, although I really prefer the earlier part since I was still a (literal) kid up to 1994. It also seemed to be more diverse and had some loose ties to the '80s (even if they clearly weren't "cool" at all). The pop culture was cooler then, but I guess I miss the whole decade now, just because it was closer to the past and I was younger.

Another reason I'm really fond of it is that there wasn't the turmoil going on these last several years, and it predated the "over modernizing" trends like renovating every shopping center, and portable tech like texting and cellphones (I do too, but I kinda miss before they were around).

Yeah, my memory also starts around 4, I think alot of really retro people are like that. Personally I never understood it when some people think you won't care/don't know about anything before moddle or high school. ;D

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/04/09 at 3:55 pm

Of course we do, that's why we have this forum!  :) I was born in 1990 too, but I can actually trace my memories as far back as 1993, at least as far as I know. I had a older sister who graduated high school this year, which helps me reconstruct a lot of memories. I distinctly remember a lot of little things about this period of time... I remember her big hair drenched in spray, I remember her school binder covered in pink gel pen, I remember a lot of the songs on the radio at the time, I remember watching MTV and seeing a lot of different music videos, I remember playing Sega Genesis all the time, I remember the movies and games and roller rinks and arcades and a lot more. 1990-1995 is a pretty surreal time, marked by youthful enthusiasm and sensation. I definitely miss it, so many fleeting memories of what was going on at the time, my only real connection to this period of time is through these fuzzy floor-level childhood memories, but it was such a happy time to be a kid. If I was a teenager/adult during this period of time, I may have been a lot more cynical about things like popular culture and music (like I am now  :-X), but as a kid, things were just fun.

The late 90's are a little less happy for me. My dad's brother died in early 1997, and he had a really hard time dealing with it. I remember he drank a lot and felt pretty miserable. There was a lot confusion, a lot of moving between places. And then, at some point, my dad disappeared out of my life for reasons I didn't really know at the time (Much later, I found found out he went to jail for possessing methamphetamine. My mother lied to me and told me he got arrested for hitchhiking. In truth, she was really the one with the drug problem and my dad pretty much took the blame) I ended up moving to East Texas for about a year or so. I actually have a lot of great memories of the countryside and all the fun I had, but I hated the school I had to attend. I eventually moved back to Fort Worth and lived with both my parents, but they really didn't get along during this period of time (not that they ever really did, but it came to a head around this time), and so there was a lot of anger and frustration. It was probably around '98/'99 that I lost a lot of my confidence and happiness. I gained a lot of weight, dealt with bullies, hated alot the rap/pop music of the time, had a pretty unstable relationship with my parents, became increasingly emotional and even contemplated suicide (before I even turned 10...geez). A lot of negative emotions during this time, many of which I've repressed/forgotten. I'll never forget New Year's Eve '99, when I cried my eyes out because I thought everything about my life was wrong. So I really don't think I would want to go back to that period of time. But early to mid 90's? Man, I miss it.  :\'(

I relate to you pretty well--I have two older sisters, Jan (who lived with us until '96 and had no kids, still doesn't) and Kate (who has six kids and moved out of my parents house before I was born), who graduated from High School in 1990 and 1991, so they helps me piece together the memories.-The early mid 90s are great, with very fleeting dark moments that I was too young to remember in '91 and '92 with my dad's drunkness. We lived in a large apartment in a house in New York City, no back yard but in early '94 we moved, and the best part came

We moved and rented out the first floor, backyard, garage and basement of my aunt's house in a different neighborhood in NYC. Every summer we had a pool in the yard and my other sister (who didn't live with us) would come with her son who was my age and we would play in the background and in the school yard up the block. In '95 and '96, me and my dad were buddies, going on trips, playing video games together, and whatnot throuhout the year. My mom and I were close as well and my parents were much younger, still working, full of life. Lots of happy memories from '94 to '96. I can't remember a single moment of my dad being drunk in the mid 90s, nor him being very angry. He was strict, and didn't allow me to watch shows like Ren & Stimpy or Beavis and Butthead. He called the TV the ''idiot box.'' But he worked nearly every evening to the next morning and went out a lot and my sister who lived with us watched me and she let me watch them when he wasn't home. They were very peaceful years, and years in which I came into my own: I had a very vibrant personality and loved my music, video games.

Then in mid '96 everything changed. My mother entered a depression in June because she learned my sister K was pregnant withher 3rd child in 3 years (one of my nephews was born in June 1994, my niece in August '95, and my other nephew in August '96). My mom ran away from home for a few days and me and my dad eventually found her sleeping in her car. My parents fought a lot in '96 and split up for a few months. My dad began to turn his attention on my sister Jan and yelled at her for every little thing; she met the man who would be her future husband in February '96 and moved out in the Summer, having had enough. My brother in Law John turned out to be controlling and possesive and disliked my family and tried to keep my sister from seeing us. He didn't like me and never wanted me to stay over their house.

My sister met her lame future husband and moved out, and the cushion between my dad's bad side and me was removed (my sister got pretty muh all of his abuse/bad side when she lived with us, I barely saw any of it). A time of darkness, change and confusion. My dad got drunk a lot during this period, 97-99; We moved from Brooklyn to Jersey between October '96 and January '97 and that was a lot of confusion and upheavel. My dad had wanted to move to Jersey since at least 1993 and hounded my mom about it and in '96 she finally gave in, reluctantly.

My mother got sick, fell into a coma and nearly died sometime in 1998, as did my grandfather of COPD earlier the same year. My dog got hit by a car within a few months of moving to Jersey and I wasn't a popular kid there, whereas in Brooklyn I had tons of friends and good times. So around '97 I'd say life began to go downhill. MY dad beat me up once when I was around 8 cause he was drunk; another time I was alone with him, he was drunk and I was on the phone with my sister reporting all his actions and he passed out, breaking our living room table. In '98 another change happend, my other sister by now had 4 kids and lived at my grandmother's house back in NYC and she met a man in May '98, and moved out with him and married him in August. They moved to his mother's apartment and my sister and her husband and 4 kids slept on his mother's couch for 2 years, and we visited there often, especially around birthdays, christmas and other holidays. That was a bright point,as I learned about playstation from my brother in law. I can recall watching and playing Soul Reaver and Die Hard with him and my nephews, this is a memory definately in 1998 because I got my own playstation for Christmas 1998.

In August '99 my dad, mom, sister K,her husband and kids went on a trip to Six Flags, and then rented a place in Lancaster together for a week, wherein my dad got drunk and screamed at my mom nearly all night. The next day, I asked my mom and she told me she'd ''fix him''....She never did and I still live with my parents and starting in 2002 (when we moved back to NYC), my dad got drunk/stoned on pills on a monthly basis; it's been like this for 7 years.

Written By: joeman on 06/04/09 at 5:55 pm

Honestly, I feel like not much have changed in pop culture for the past 12 years with a few changes and different faces  :P

I kind of feel the same.  All the shows and music has the same basic formula that they have since the late 90's.

I agree with Marty here.  I followed pop culture since I was 4 in 1989 because my parents would drive around all the time in garage sales and would have popular music on.  I miss the 90's since a lot of changes happened in it.  We entered the decade when communism is found dead, and we end the decade with computer and cell phone technology.  People were in on beepers until cell phones replaced it and the whole Y2K thing was nuts.  I think the 90's weren't a safe time like few would believe, because there was the Waco Riots, Timothy Mcveigh, Columbine, 13 year old kid having baby with teacher, etc.. 

My brother and I would remember all the new ads for Super Nintendo, Sega, and finding out that each game cost about 70 dollars.  We were complaining about how it was back then, now with consoles being up to 300+ dollars, it's insane.  Still, there were some fun games, anyone remember the Atari Jaguar?

I think 1991 and 1998 were my best years. 

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/09 at 6:59 pm

People born after December 31, 1999 miss the 90s :D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/04/09 at 7:43 pm

I attended junior high (1990-1993) and high school (1993-1996), and I've experienced both good and bad times during that period. 

For the most part I thought the music was great (I'll always prefer the 80s  ;)), but lost interest towards the end of the decade.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/09 at 8:48 pm

I can definitely see someone born around 1990 missing the nineties, since I feel the same about the '80s (and I'm 1981 born). Like Ryan was saying, I think having an older sibling or cousin oftentimes really helps get people into things at a young age (and more attached to their childhood). I've noticed that with alot of people, I guess because it puts you ahead of the curve, if you hear the music they're listening to, for instance. That or youngish parents who maybe are still into pop culture to an extent.

Written By: paradigm on 06/05/09 at 4:23 am

I relate to you pretty well--I have two older sisters, Jan (who lived with us until '96 and had no kids, still doesn't) and Kate (who has six kids and moved out of my parents house before I was born), who graduated from High School in 1990 and 1991, so they helps me piece together the memories.-The early mid 90s are great, with very fleeting dark moments that I was too young to remember in '91 and '92 with my dad's drunkness. We lived in a large apartment in a house in New York City, no back yard but in early '94 we moved, and the best part came

We moved and rented out the first floor, backyard, garage and basement of my aunt's house in a different neighborhood in NYC. Every summer we had a pool in the yard and my other sister (who didn't live with us) would come with her son who was my age and we would play in the background and in the school yard up the block. In '95 and '96, me and my dad were buddies, going on trips, playing video games together, and whatnot throuhout the year. My mom and I were close as well and my parents were much younger, still working, full of life. Lots of happy memories from '94 to '96. I can't remember a single moment of my dad being drunk in the mid 90s, nor him being very angry. He was strict, and didn't allow me to watch shows like Ren & Stimpy or Beavis and Butthead. He called the TV the ''idiot box.'' But he worked nearly every evening to the next morning and went out a lot and my sister who lived with us watched me and she let me watch them when he wasn't home. They were very peaceful years, and years in which I came into my own: I had a very vibrant personality and loved my music, video games.

Then in mid '96 everything changed. My mother entered a depression in June because she learned my sister K was pregnant withher 3rd child in 3 years (one of my nephews was born in June 1994, my niece in August '95, and my other nephew in August '96). My mom ran away from home for a few days and me and my dad eventually found her sleeping in her car. My parents fought a lot in '96 and split up for a few months. My dad began to turn his attention on my sister Jan and yelled at her for every little thing; she met the man who would be her future husband in February '96 and moved out in the Summer, having had enough. My brother in Law John turned out to be controlling and possesive and disliked my family and tried to keep my sister from seeing us. He didn't like me and never wanted me to stay over their house.

My sister met her lame future husband and moved out, and the cushion between my dad's bad side and me was removed (my sister got pretty muh all of his abuse/bad side when she lived with us, I barely saw any of it). A time of darkness, change and confusion. My dad got drunk a lot during this period, 97-99; We moved from Brooklyn to Jersey between October '96 and January '97 and that was a lot of confusion and upheavel. My dad had wanted to move to Jersey since at least 1993 and hounded my mom about it and in '96 she finally gave in, reluctantly.

My mother got sick, fell into a coma and nearly died sometime in 1998, as did my grandfather of COPD earlier the same year. My dog got hit by a car within a few months of moving to Jersey and I wasn't a popular kid there, whereas in Brooklyn I had tons of friends and good times. So around '97 I'd say life began to go downhill. MY dad beat me up once when I was around 8 cause he was drunk; another time I was alone with him, he was drunk and I was on the phone with my sister reporting all his actions and he passed out, breaking our living room table. In '98 another change happend, my other sister by now had 4 kids and lived at my grandmother's house back in NYC and she met a man in May '98, and moved out with him and married him in August. They moved to his mother's apartment and my sister and her husband and 4 kids slept on his mother's couch for 2 years, and we visited there often, especially around birthdays, christmas and other holidays. That was a bright point,as I learned about playstation from my brother in law. I can recall watching and playing Soul Reaver and Die Hard with him and my nephews, this is a memory definately in 1998 because I got my own playstation for Christmas 1998.

In August '99 my dad, mom, sister K,her husband and kids went on a trip to Six Flags, and then rented a place in Lancaster together for a week, wherein my dad got drunk and screamed at my mom nearly all night. The next day, I asked my mom and she told me she'd ''fix him''....She never did and I still live with my parents and starting in 2002 (when we moved back to NYC), my dad got drunk/stoned on pills on a monthly basis; it's been like this for 7 years.

A lot of your family situations are similar to mine. A young, optimistic family turns mad over the course of the decade.  ;D And you seem to have done a lot of moving, which I did as well. I moved at least a dozen times in the 90's. All around the same area, but different places.

I watched Beavis and Butthead at a young age though, my dad thought it was pretty hysterical and he even bought me the Sega Genesis game one year for Christmas. 8)

I can definitely see someone born around 1990 missing the nineties, since I feel the same about the '80s (and I'm 1981 born). Like Ryan was saying, I think having an older sibling or cousin oftentimes really helps get people into things at a young age (and more attached to their childhood). I've noticed that with alot of people, I guess because it puts you ahead of the curve, if you hear the music they're listening to, for instance. That or youngish parents who maybe are still into pop culture to an extent.

I really think it does, especially considering my sister was basically the embodiment of popular culture at the time. As far as fashion goes, she was about as early 90's as you get. She had a boyfriend who was very grungy; he played the drums, wore baggy plaid shirts and used dip sometimes. My parents were pretty cool, I guess you could consider them pretty liberal in their child-raising of me. Since there was a teenage girl in the house, TV was unavoidable. I hate to admit that a lot of early childhood memories come from MTV, but it's true. Seeing the music video for "Black Hole Sun" at the age of 3 has...well, let's just say I've never forgotten it. My sister said that before I could even speak, I would just stare at the screen and make strange noises. Maybe that's true, but in those early years I was really understanding and interpreting things, so the music I heard then was the first music I was ever hearing. A lot of still makes me feel so good to listen to it because such distant memories are connected to it.

I admit that I am a very nostalgic person when it comes to childhood. Most everything that made me who I am today happened in the 1990's, no doubt. The fact that I'm realizing exactly how old it is just a complete shock. There was a completely different "vibe" back then. I really wish I could explain it, but things just aren't the same.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/05/09 at 12:52 pm

A lot of your family situations are similar to mine. A young, optimistic family turns mad over the course of the decade.  ;D And you seem to have done a lot of moving, which I did as well. I moved at least a dozen times in the 90's. All around the same area, but different places.

I watched Beavis and Butthead at a young age though, my dad thought it was pretty hysterical and he even bought me the Sega Genesis game one year for Christmas. 8)

I really think it does, especially considering my sister was basically the embodiment of popular culture at the time. As far as fashion goes, she was about as early 90's as you get. She had a boyfriend who was very grungy; he played the drums, wore baggy plaid shirts and used dip sometimes. My parents were pretty cool, I guess you could consider them pretty liberal in their child-raising of me. Since there was a teenage girl in the house, TV was unavoidable. I hate to admit that a lot of early childhood memories come from MTV, but it's true. Seeing the music video for "Black Hole Sun" at the age of 3 has...well, let's just say I've never forgotten it. My sister said that before I could even speak, I would just stare at the screen and make strange noises. Maybe that's true, but in those early years I was really understanding and interpreting things, so the music I heard then was the first music I was ever hearing. A lot of still makes me feel so good to listen to it because such distant memories are connected to it.

I admit that I am a very nostalgic person when it comes to childhood. Most everything that made me who I am today happened in the 1990's, no doubt. The fact that I'm realizing exactly how old it is just a complete shock. There was a completely different "vibe" back then. I really wish I could explain it, but things just aren't the same.

My sisters were huge early 90s people. My sister Jan who lived with us was into Heavy Metal and Rock (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, etc) and Grunge (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc but not Nirvana). She also loved MTV and watched Head Banger's Ball, Beavis and Butthead etc. She wore black, she wore ripped jeans, flannel etc. My other sister Kate was a HUGE rap fan--Rob Base, all of the late 80s early 90s rap and so I was exposed to that as well. They were big 90s consumers, and so my nephews and I got in on almost every 90s kids craze (Power Rangers, Pokemon, Furby, Jurassic Park etc).
Add to this fact that my parents were in their late 30s when I was born and by the time I was 6 were only around 42 and so I even got that angle--the aging baby boomer angle, and I grew up with a lot of classic rock as well--Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc. From as long as I can remember my dad's had long hair and a ponytail.

I think a lot of that missing vibe has to do with our parents generation. The baby boomers/generation Jones (born between 1946 and 1953, 1954 and 1964) was unlike any other before it, much different than their parents, and these wild ex-hippies etc were coming into maturity and power in the early 90s. People of that age were the ones who dominated what was and what wasn't big in pop culture, what tv shows we watched etc. I think it's no coincidence that a lot of people say 1993 is the year the 90s really began, and I can agree with that. Bill Clinton, a young man of only 46, was voted President; it was the beginning of a new era. I think with President Obama, the atmosphere of the '90s is returning.

Written By: Samwise on 06/06/09 at 7:58 am

I do! I was born in 1986, so my earliest memories started about the same time as the 90's. I feel kind of happy that I missed the 80's. Not a fan.

Written By: Jeremy on 06/13/09 at 8:13 pm

Another '90 born kid. iv'e become almost saddened by the speed at which time has passed. i can now be found consoleing myself on such records as brimfull of asha and mo' money mo' problems.

first thing i missed is Saturday morning tv (09.00 - 13.00), in england we had a show called live and kicking which showed from around 1993-1999/2000. it showed shows like keenan & Kel, rugrats, sabrina the teenaged whitch & cluless (even though they are perceived as quite girly, between you and me they were quite funny), beetle borgs, power rangers (mighty morphin), transformers beast wars, saved by the bell and beverly hills 90210. The list is endless but this live nd kicking show would have little parts inbetween with all diffrent types of games like catch the rabbit (google it when you get a chance). i think the american imported shows were really what i missed.

I miss early saturday tv, when they showed things like Doug, Cow & Chicken, Sesame street, and barney. Oh my days sesame st and  barney seemed so fun. i remember me and my lil bro (2yrs younger than me) would wake the next person up to go and whatch sesamea street early in the morning. we'd creep downstairs around 5.30 on saurday morning then we'ed be in the same spot till 8.30 so we could have breakfast. then by 8.35 wed be back in the same spot till 13.00. them were the days, all the pop star guests would perform during the closing credits the likes of backstreet boys, n'sync, briteny spears, christina aguilera, damage (British boy band google them) and spice girls to name a few.

Midweek tv was pretty gd too. weed come home from primary (equivelent of elementry) and we'd be able to catch the second episode of Auther! good times. then we'd swithch channels to catch sooty & co. and tots tv which was followed by pokemon and then we'd switch channel and watch goosebumps and "query" there used to be a show about some girl in a high school who would go around solving mysteries in her town, she was always in the attic looking at antiques from sherlock holmes, does anyone know the name of this show? - after we'd watch keenan and kel and then blue peter would come on. some days we'd watch byker grove or grange hill which was always a good because it tried to emulate real life. it was fun to watch. can't forget about round the twist austrailian comedy bout a family who live in a light house. or digimon adventure 01.

i have to give channell five a mention because this channel showed me harry and kosh and tribe. channell five used to be the channell for the late afternoon when my older brothers and sisters would come back from their friends houses.

do you remember the days when you could only hear music on tapes and radio and music shows. before sattelite came to my house we watched a show on bbc called top of the pops this show was our music guru this was the first place i heared All 4 one's 'i swear' and briteny spears. she used to be hot when she was a "virgin". that song by eifel 65 blue da ba di da ba da.
i was so sad when this was finished in 2004. miss it on my friday nights. also miss family nights on saturday evenings whatching all the prime time shows like blind date and bruce forsyth. those were the days when me and my family could talk, nower days it seems that were all living our life in diffrent rooms on diffrent pcs.
im currently locateing and downloading songs that are missed from the nineties so any feed back would be great.

Jemanny62

also is there a list of shows from the nineties on this websyt cos i only found the link for this forum through google.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/18/09 at 6:48 am

Man I was born in 1988 and all these 1990ers are making me feel old, Lol.

Kids born in 1993 are old enought to drive now, that's crazy!

I remember 1990-1993 was very 80's for a kid like me.

1994 was an okay year, but it was 1995 to 1998 that was the golden age for me.

The 90's was great for me, except for 1999. I hated pop culture of that year!
When teen pop started to dominate I started to hate music! And then rap become dominant that year also.

But my personal life in the 90's, even 1999 was great!

1999 is pretty much the 2000s... rap, teen pop, Napster, the internet becoming mainstream, Y2K (generic 2000s flip out thing), Latin pop (so 2000s)

Subject: Does anyone miss the '90s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/06/09 at 6:24 pm

I mean like REALLY miss the '90s?
I can remember the 90s, especially the years between '94 and '99 very well. I miss Bill Clinton. I miss the general peace and prosperity we had. I miss Rock music being a major force. I miss when Disney made good, beautiful animated films and not the 3D crap they give us today. I miss when Disney had good TV shows and TV movies, like "So Weird", "Susie Q'' and others, rather than the Drake & Josh and High School Musical. I miss Adventure Games on the PC. I miss when the PC was a hub of gaming. I miss when games like Sonic, Donkey Kong, Paper Boy, Super Mario and other games (2D games) ruled. I miss the awe and wonder felt when playing those early 3D games--When it truly seemed anything was possible in gaming, when video games were an art form moreso than an industry.

I miss the Gen X cartoons which us Generation Yers grew up watching on TV--Like Beavis and Butthead, Ren and Stimpy, etc. I miss old MTV. I miss my city, NYC, being an odd mix of gruffness, tough folks and culture. Now it's just Hipspters and Metros. I miss when Rap was more of a marginal culture.

Moreso, I miss being a 90s KID--I miss the innocence and wonder of childhood, and the time in which I was a child. It was a really awesome time. I think our parents, who had a turbulent growing up period in the 60s and 70s gave their kids a generally peaceful, media saturated 80s and 90s because in a lot of ways the 90s were an emulation of the peaceful, media saturated innocence of the '50s.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/06/09 at 8:05 pm

Yes, I totally miss the 90's... LOL
Give me back my youth!

Written By: Red Ant on 09/06/09 at 11:06 pm

Duplicate threads merged.

Yeah, I mis the 90s.

Ant

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/07/09 at 10:07 am

No, not really.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/13/09 at 11:21 am

Absolutely!

I loved the 90's and hated the 00's. And in pop culture, the 90's kept everything intact and also most TV Stations kept their identities too...not like 00's.

Written By: midnite on 09/15/09 at 9:51 pm

The 90s were bland and sucky (but much better than the 00s).  Don't fret 90s-lovers, the styles and trends will be back in 6 or 7 years after this 80's revival passes.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/16/09 at 2:06 am

Of course, those were good days for me and a pretty amazing time to grow up watching the internet become the center of information, the rise of digital technology taking place right before my young eyes. Now as the years have passed I do miss the 90s more as they fade into the past, this has especially happened with the late 90s which seemed "fairly recent" to me in 2004 but now they've developed that awe of the past and even 1999 seems like quite a different time to me in 2009. The world definitely seemed like a better place in the 90s, this first decade of the millennium has been a fallback in many ways from the prosperous '90s and that is depressing. The '90s weren't perfect but I think they were more optimistic and generally a more positive time than this decade was.

Written By: Davester on 09/16/09 at 2:12 am

Absolutely!

I loved the 90's and hated the 00's. And in pop culture, the 90's kept everything intact and also most TV Stations kept their identities too...not like 00's.

The nineties are when local TV stations began to lose their identities.  Remember FOX, The WB, UPN.  My old stand-byes, KBHK, KRON, KTVU began to lose their intimacy and homegrown appeal...

For example, I own a few DVDs produced by a local Creature Features fan in Petaluma.  The discs include segments of KTVU's long running, late night horror/sci-fi show Creature Features hosted by local personality Bob Wilkins from 1971 to 1979 and by John Stanley from 1979 until the show's cancellation in 1984.  It's almost strange to watch a TV personality touch their brow or scratch their chin on camera while speaking, or clear their throat, or flub a line, or adjust their eyeglasses.  Most, if not all, of the dialogue is ad libbed.  The Creature Features host even accidentally knocked over a candle on the table next to him while lighting it.  It's as if everything was broadcast via public access from somebody's basement...

It's amusing to watch these old broadcasts from the time when KTVU "2" was still an independent station...  

Check for new replies or respond here...