inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guns N' Roses vs. Nirvana

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/04/09 at 6:21 pm

In the early 90s and mid 90s, Guns N' Roses and Nirvana were arguably the two most important and popular bands in Rock Music, and fans were divided into Guns fans and Nirvana fans the same way many fell into the label of Stones fan and Beatles fan in the '60s. Both reached their peak of popularity between 1991 and 1993 and both bands ended in 1994*
Which do you like better and why?

*= Original rhythm and lead guitarists Izzy Stradlin and Slash left Guns N' Roses in 1991 and 1995; original drummer Steven Adler was fired in 1990; original basist Duff McKagan quit in 1997. Replacement rhythm guitarist Gilby Clarke was fired in 1994 and replacement drummer Matt Sorum was fired in 1997; The last Guns N' Roses song which featured Slash on lead guitar was released in 1994, thus for many fans the band ended in 1994. Singer Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses bought the Guns N' Roses name in 1997 and is the only remaining band member of the original 1985 lineup. Guns N' Roses released a new album, Chinese Democracy, in November 2008.

Subject: Re: Guns N' Roses vs. Nirvana

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/09 at 6:58 pm

Guns N' Roses had some great songs, but when I think GNR, 80s comes to mind first.

Nirvana was complete suckage

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/09 at 8:52 pm

Yeah, that's true, I think they were both pretty revolutionary. You know what's kinda cool about Guns N Roses though, they kinda fit in with hair bands (they're heavier and tougher but it's sort of the same musical style) and with straight heavy metal too.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of either, though they both have songs I like.

"Welcome to the Jungle", Nightrain, Sweet Child, Think About You, Right Nextdoor to Hell, Live and Let Die and You Could Be Mine...are all classic GNR songs, and I like the Nevermind singles too.

Written By: Davester on 06/04/09 at 11:35 pm

I remember first listening to Appetite while I was in the navy.  The dude down the hall (George Allison aka. "(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)ree Bisket"), in the barracks, was blasting something strange, wonderful and sleazy on his boombox.  I walked down to his room, took a beer out of his fridge and asked WTF.  He said it was a new group and this album blew everything else away, just picked-up the tape earlier that day.  BTW he also had Surfing With The Alien which also kicked ass...

All in earshot came out of their rooms and gathered in front of (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)ree's room, silent and reverent, to pay homage (*the sound of monks chanting in background...*)

Yeah, GNR was THAT important... :P

Written By: lateadopter on 06/09/09 at 6:38 pm

Nirvana.

No contest...

Written By: Step-chan on 06/09/09 at 6:54 pm

Guns N Roses' songs irritated me to no end.(When you've live with relatives that have listened to it, it's hard to avoid hearing them)

Never had this problem with Nirvana, even before getting into them.(I didn't really get into Nirvana until 1996, abit late)

Check for new replies or respond here...