inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: hair metal's death due to grunge

Written By: soundgardenfan on 06/14/09 at 8:36 pm

Back in the early 90s when hair metal was dying and was then suddenly made obsolete by Seattle, how many of you were happy to see it go and how many were upset by it?

Personally I think grunge is better but I was sad to see some good hair metal bands such as motley crue lose popularity.  Though I must admit there was more bad than good as far as hair metal.

Subject: Re: hair metal's death due to grunge

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/09 at 8:39 pm

I was glad to see grunge go

Written By: soundgardenfan on 06/14/09 at 9:13 pm

I was glad to see grunge go

So were you a hair metal fan?

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/09 at 9:16 pm

So were you a hair metal fan?

No

Written By: 90steen on 06/14/09 at 10:37 pm

I was a little too young to really acknowledge it. I mean, i wasn't too young because I was around 11 and starting Junior High School but I pretty much just went with whatever was on the charts back then.

Written By: Davester on 06/14/09 at 11:10 pm

I held onto hair metal as long as I could, until it evolved into a sort of self parody.  Still reading Heavy Metal and Circus magazines.  The last hair metal I purchased with a straight face was Skid Row's Slave to the Grind and by then they had changed their style...

After a brief flirtation with alternative music in the late 80s/early 90s I finally gave over to grunge and the new alternative - a night of excellent drugs accompanied by Soundgarden's Superunknown and some Screaming Trees sealed the deal...

Being a metalhead was a youth-rebellion image thing.  But it also broke the last vital chain binding me to Christianity. I'm one of the lucky ones in that sense; a superficial demonstration of egotism actually paid off...

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/15/09 at 6:47 am

I was EXTREMELY happy to see hair metal go!  It was so insincere, especially the songs you could swing a lighter to.  I happen to be a huge Soundgarden fan; of alternative music from the 90's in general, so I wasn't crying when Poison went running.

Written By: Tia on 06/15/09 at 8:42 am

hair metal was amusing for a few weeks. i really liked, um, that ratt album. and the def leppard album. i liked ratt enough to buy it, def leppard i just borrowed and listened to a couple of times. i dont care what anybody says, "round and round" is one hell of a catchy little tune. but when it died off i was ready for it. in retrospect i appreciate the androgynous aspect of it; i think that took courage to do.

grunge had moments of true genius. i really do appreciate nirvana as a great band of the time, soundgarden, alice in chains and stone temple pilots were also big favorites of mine. the aesthetic was so arid, humorless and restrictive though that i dont think it could last very long, either. once you put on the flannel and sang a few gloomy songs about raping parrots over clumsy power chords, where was there to go? if i had to vote for one over the other i'd probably prefer grunge to hair metal but hair metal was a helluva lot more fun and they could play their instruments; some of the guitar work was downright vicious.

Written By: KittyKattails on 08/08/09 at 1:11 am

I loved the hair metal in my pre-teens, I had posters of Sebastian Bach on my wall. Then as I progressed into my teen years it was Chris Cornell. Grunge was like my generations voice and the style I felt most like me, my mood and my life.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/08/09 at 8:20 am

I'm a teenager right now, and I love both grunge and hair metal. Grunge had its big hits with bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains (who have a new single called "A Looking In View"), which I think were pretty good bands. I've only recently been checking out hair metal, and I like songs like "Come On, Feel The Noise" by Quiet Riot. Also, hair metal had the best rock ballads.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/08/09 at 5:04 pm

I kinda like both Hair Metal and Grunge.

I was only 8 in 1990 so I can't really judge, but once the grunge died in 1994 and pop alternative came and later...boy/girl bands in 1997, I steered clear from modern music. But don't get me wrong with alternative pop, I like their music, I just couldn't stand the boy/girl band wave that came later.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/09/09 at 11:14 pm

the aesthetic was so arid, humorless and restrictive though that i dont think it could last very long, either. once you put on the flannel and sang a few gloomy songs about raping parrots over clumsy power chords,

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6663/roflbotawgv.jpg

(Karma for making me spew beer onto the keyboard.  For a moment I wasn't sure if you were making a "Polly" reference, a "Rape Me" reference, or a reference to what most of the vocals sounded like.)

Yeah, I never got into grunge.  With the benefit of hindsight, I can dig that there were some gems, but a lot of dross.  Even at its cheesiest (and it got excruciatingly cheesy), hair metal could at least be enjoyed as self-parody.  Grunge, not so much.

Check for new replies or respond here...