inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's Revivalism in the 90's

Written By: joeman on 07/29/09 at 4:47 pm

The 90's was known for it's 70's revivalism, from it's commercials to the remakes of movies.  For example, The Simpsons back in the 90's, much like Family Guy is now with the 80's revivalism, had a lot of 70's references, especially with all the Richard Nixon jokes.  Which parts of the 70's revivalism did you like best in the 90's?

Mines is the movie Shaft, That 70's Show, and disco songs that got brought back such "Macho Man", "Funky Town, "Staying Alive", etc...

Subject: Re: 70's Revivalism in the 90's

Written By: 90steen on 07/29/09 at 5:50 pm

I liked how all the peace and love fashion was brought back. Around my junior year of high school (1996-1997) all of that fashion exploded. Everyone was wearing peace necklaces and headshops were popular.

Written By: robby76 on 07/30/09 at 8:13 am

I wore bellbottoms in the very early 90s - the whole hippie look was big back then. Later on in the 90s, I loved all the club music sampling 70s hooks.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 07/30/09 at 3:04 pm

It didn't appear very 70s to me.  Didn't appear like anything tbh, maybe like the 60s when I see geri halliwell in that union jack dress lol.  But I can't see how it's comparable tbh.  And the 80s are nothing like this decade either.

Written By: joeman on 07/30/09 at 9:00 pm

It didn't appear very 70s to me.  Didn't appear like anything tbh, maybe like the 60s when I see geri halliwell in that union jack dress lol.  But I can't see how it's comparable tbh.  And the 80s are nothing like this decade either.

One of the 90's fads was 70's revivalism, and it was as blunt as the 80's is now in the 00s.  I mean, they brought Kung Fu and had a CHIPS reunion during that decade.

But the decade itself, as far as culture and poltiics, felt more like the 60's.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/31/09 at 8:24 am

That also applies to this decade, although technology has its own distinct zeitelgist, with the economy and politics sort of neo-70s overall. The fashions are very mixed. I see someone with '60s fashion, then '70s fashion, then '80s fashion. To me, the '00s are known for thier hodgepodge of various vintage fashion eras mixed with a compressed mainstream look that many have disliked. But the '90s were GOOD TIMES (sorry Chic!), with a healthy, strong economy and low inflation for most of the decade unlike the '70s, with the HIGH INFLATION, fairly weak economy, and a more cynical feel. Many '90s movies brought back the "happy ending/romantic" feel of many '70s films; we had the re-release of the three Star Wars movies in 1977, lots of retail stores would play '70s music mixed with the new music. There are many articles from the actual 1990s in the Google News Archive/Google Books Magazines Archive that pertrain to the revival. But to me, the '00s are more like the '80s as opposed to the '90s being more like the '70s, though not by a whole lot.

Written By: 90steen on 07/31/09 at 10:20 am

One of the 90's fads was 70's revivalism, and it was as blunt as the 80's is now in the 00s.  I mean, they brought Kung Fu and had a CHIPS reunion during that decade.

But the decade itself, as far as culture and poltiics, felt more like the 60's.

I agree with everything you said. The 90's had 70's nostalgia, but it had a lot of 60'sness in it. It even had what was still leftover from the late 80's, up until about '97.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/11/09 at 10:45 pm

The movie Dazed and Confused.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/12/09 at 2:16 pm

VH1 had a lot of good stuff about the 70's around that time such as "8-Track Flashback", 70's Videos, "Archives" with some Dick Cavett reruns, and weekends having all of that and more.

I miss the old VH1. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...