inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YM magazines

Written By: Fairee07 on 08/13/09 at 8:39 pm

I use to read these magazines all the time when I was a teen in the 90s. I decided to put this topic under the 90s board because they seemed to be so popular during that decade, and I would see them everywhere on newstands but I haven't seen them around since 2001. Are they no longer in circulation?

Anyway, I always looked forward to getting a new YM magazine because I found them so inspirational (okay maybe it was because I was young) and witty. My favorite sections were the "Say Anything" and the tragic "It Happened to Me" columns. Anybody else remember reading YM?

Subject: Re: YM magazines

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/13/09 at 10:24 pm

I used to subscribe to YM magazine from 1992-1995.  I really enjoyed reading that magazine, along with Seventeen. 

I just loved that "Say Anything" section, too! 

:)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/14/09 at 6:51 pm

I also subscribed to it when I was a teenager.  And of course "Say Anything" was my favorite too!  It was a great magazine for teens.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/16/09 at 10:11 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YM_(magazine)

"YM was an American teen magazine. It was published for 72 years and was the second-oldest girls' magazine (the oldest being Seventeen) in the United States. YM got its start as two magazines in the 1930s—Compact, which was aimed at older teens, and Calling All Girls, which was intended for younger girls and pioneered the signature embarrassing-moments column, "Say Anything". By the late '40s, the publications merged into Young Miss, a small digest-sized mag. In the 1960s the size was increased and the 1980s saw still another title change (this time to Young & Modern) under Bonnie Fuller's direction as editor-in-chief. The final title change came in 2000 (this time to Your Magazine), though the abbreviation "YM" was the title by which it was commonly referred. It ceased publication in 2004, with the December/January issue featuring Usher. Subscribers received Teen Vogue subscriptions in replacement.

YM is no longer published online and now the domain is only a link to Teen Vogue.

The publisher was Gruner + Jahr before the assets of YM were purchased by Conde Nast Publications. This purchase included YM's:

subscription file
title and brand name
rights to special publication titles
domain name (http://www.ym.com)
newsstand pockets"

Teen Vogue sucks compared to YM! Corporations always come and go, however.

Written By: Fairee07 on 08/20/09 at 11:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YM_(magazine)

"YM was an American teen magazine. It was published for 72 years and was the second-oldest girls' magazine (the oldest being Seventeen) in the United States. YM got its start as two magazines in the 1930s—Compact, which was aimed at older teens, and Calling All Girls, which was intended for younger girls and pioneered the signature embarrassing-moments column, "Say Anything". By the late '40s, the publications merged into Young Miss, a small digest-sized mag. In the 1960s the size was increased and the 1980s saw still another title change (this time to Young & Modern) under Bonnie Fuller's direction as editor-in-chief. The final title change came in 2000 (this time to Your Magazine), though the abbreviation "YM" was the title by which it was commonly referred. It ceased publication in 2004, with the December/January issue featuring Usher. Subscribers received Teen Vogue subscriptions in replacement.

YM is no longer published online and now the domain is only a link to Teen Vogue.

The publisher was Gruner + Jahr before the assets of YM were purchased by Conde Nast Publications. This purchase included YM's:

subscription file
title and brand name
rights to special publication titles
domain name (http://www.ym.com)
newsstand pockets"

Teen Vogue sucks compared to YM! Corporations always come and go, however.

Thanks for the info, Yelim. I will always have warm thoughts of YM...

Check for new replies or respond here...