inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vinyl singles were still issued through the '90s

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/19/09 at 1:51 pm

I've been collecting vinyl on eBay and I've surprisingly found quite a few (over 100) from the '90s, generally decreasing in number (ending with 3 records from 2000, including a Britney Spears Bottom Of My Broken Heart). Most of these were generally issued for jukeboxes with its nich market (though CD jukeboxes would soon cause even the vinyl single to go into obliviation). I even have Santana's Smooth And Maria Maria, a few Butterfly-era Mariah Carey hits, Lauryn Hill's Doo Wop (That Thing), and even Hanson's MmmBop. About half of them are from 1990-1992, with 1993-2000 taking up the other half. It seems like the older labels (MCA, Mercury, Columbia, Capitol, Arista) were longer to keep the old format (all Capitol releases on vinyl from 1992+ say "For Jukeboxes Only" on it). I even have a few picture sleeves including Mariah Carey's Honey and TLC's Waterfalls. These I feel are underrated as '90s music will definately grow over time.

Subject: Re: Vinyl singles were still issued through the '90s

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/09 at 9:04 pm

Right on, those are probably collectors items (or will be someday), just because they're most likely some of the last vinyl singles ever issued. Like cassettes from 2003 or something, which I have too. I bought a bunch of cheapies from record stores a few years ago, and even more when they went out of business.

I went into music stores as a kid in the late 80s and even then don't remember seeing records, then again I wasn't looking for them. I bet there were a few at the back of the store. By the time I looked around more extensively (circa '94) I'm almost positive they were gone, if any existed it was probably just a few in the bargain or cutout bins.

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/09 at 9:10 pm

^ Vinyl Singles are still issued today.  MAybe not the 45's, but 12" ones are definately still around  Finding them in stores though is no easy task.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/26/09 at 7:57 am

Keep in mind, these are only about the 45 singles. Vinyl 45s stopped around 2000-01, though 12" singles are still issued today. Definately a grower of a collector's item.

Written By: Midas on 08/26/09 at 2:43 pm

^ Vinyl Singles are still issued today.  MAybe not the 45's, but 12" ones are definately still around  Finding them in stores though is no easy task.

The last time I saw 7" 45 RPM singles for sale (new) at a store was around 1995.  I still buy 12" singles, mostly used.

LPs are being sold as new at various stores also. :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/09 at 5:30 pm

LPs are being sold as new at various stores also. :)

Vinyl LPs seem to be a big thing again.  Whenever bands and musicians go on Late Night talk shows, the host usually has the Vinyl instead of the CD.  They get pretty pricey though.

Written By: Paul on 08/27/09 at 7:07 am

Vinyl LPs seem to be a big thing again.  Whenever bands and musicians go on Late Night talk shows, the host usually has the Vinyl instead of the CD. 

Apart from the modern dance issues on 12", there's also been a spate of 'classic' 80s/90s dance stuff that's been re-issued on 12" here...probably to satisfy the club DJs who still love this type of thing...

My record buying tailed off sharply during the 90s, but I do recall some commercial (i.e., not jukebox) RCA/Arista titles being released on 7" as late as 1995...

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/27/09 at 6:56 pm

The used music store that I frequently visit sells a lot of new LPs, and one of the Best Buy stores here have a small section for vinyl now.

As for new 45's I haven't seen any since the early 1990s. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/02/09 at 2:44 pm

I actually have a RHCP vinyl single, "Give it away"

Give it away, give it away, give it away now!

Check for new replies or respond here...