inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did MTV start really sucking, during the 90's?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/09 at 1:17 pm

When did things start going down hill, for MTV?  ???

Subject: Re: When did MTV start really sucking, during the 90's?

Written By: woops on 08/29/09 at 1:27 pm

1998 when "TRL" premiered and far less music videos  :P

Was pretty much mediocre when I started watching in 1997

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/09 at 1:34 pm

i agree with you, on that statement.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/01/09 at 10:47 am

1994. I've got a whole topic devoted to early MTV rants from vintage computer posts (definately a thing I'll be saying more once I transition out of '80s nostalgia into '90s nostalgia!) on this board, so you can see here.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=38082.0- Early MTV Rants from 1994, 1996

MTV already was showing signs of decline as early as 1988 with Yo! Raps and The Real World debuted, so for me 1981-1987 will always be my "Glory Years" for MTV. It's a lost cause; Fuse is the closest thing to "the real MTV" these days, while VH1 classic is fairly similar to watching VH1 in the early '90s today.

Here is my evaluation on MTV:

1981-1987: Classic, the BEST, will always love
1988-1990: Some shakiness, but still enjoyable
1991-1993: Channel surfing during some programs, in the "starting to suck" phase, and the network has definately jumped the shark at this point. But there are still lots of videos being aired (even at a less prime timeblock), though rap is really starting to dominate MTV's playlist.
1994-1998: The REALLY SUCK era. Only occassional flips to watch for the now long-in-the-tooth '80s artists and perhaps Beavis and Butthead.
1999+ RTV era. A complete joke.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/02/09 at 2:40 pm

I would have to say...when "Beavis and Butt-Head" went off the air...and that was in 1997?

Written By: 90steen on 09/04/09 at 3:23 pm

I got into music as early as 1987, age 7. Watched a little bit of MTV then.

I started to lose interest around the debut of Beavis and Butthead, ironic because i loved the show...

But once TRL premiered. It became nothing but a joke.

Written By: James on 05/26/10 at 11:12 am

I would venture to say that 1992 is when MTV really started to go down hill. Yes I know this is when alternative and rap got more exposure and the music scene was a lot better. However, I noticed in 92, MTV started to play a lot less videos. They seemed to overkill anything grunge and hip hop. Certain popular songs of the time were being played over and over again. This is also when MTV was covering the presidential race and doing stupid news shows about things going on at the time like gang violence, rock the vote etc.. MTV had no business getting involved in things like this. Viewers wanted to see music not thier take on politics and social issues. This is also when the Real World started along with that crappy animation show, Liquid Television.

At least in 90-91, MTV played videos for everyone's tastes. MTV gave fair play to all genres such as dance, pop, rock, metal, alt rock, and rap. However, 92 was when MTV started to cut many of their niche shows such as MTV Street Party and eventually Headbangers Ball, YO MTV Raps. MTV only focused on playing what was popular at the time and giving little exposure to lesser known groups. Even the signature alternative rock show 120 Minutes (Which would eventually be renamed to Alternative Nation) which had played some of the best Alternative Rock videos ever and tons of bands that were very obscure seemed to only care about playing grunge or the more popular alt rock bands when in reality there was a lot more to alternative rock then just grunge.

Beavis and Butthead was somewhat a relief and it was generally very funny. Somewhere around 93 or so, there were all these other shows that were popping up that had nothing to do with music. The MTV Movie awards started around this time as well and gave awards to the dumbest, crappy movies.

Two years later, it seemed like Beavis and Butthead were watching more videos then we were! MTV were playing the Real World all the time and when there were video played iit only what was popular and again the overkilled the same videos. Many people say that after Beavis and Butthead went off the air is when MTV really started to decline. It's obviously that it did with TRL and even more mindless programming. Today, forget it, MTV is not even relevant. A lot of artists of using YouTube or other channels to broadcast their music.

This reminds of a song by the Dead Kennedys, MTV Get off the Air. Hopefully soon MTV will be gone!

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/01/10 at 7:15 am

And another reason why TV is so screwed up these days: on The Weather Channel, they had a news story about how Celine Dion announced she is having twins! Something that MTV or VH1 ought to have, but everything is getting lost in the shuffle.

Written By: Starde on 06/01/10 at 5:56 pm

And another reason why TV is so screwed up these days: on The Weather Channel, they had a news story about how Celine Dion announced she is having twins! Something that MTV or VH1 ought to have, but everything is getting lost in the shuffle.

WTF?! :o Seriously? What the hell does Celine Dion have to do with the weather? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/10 at 1:54 am

It sucked from the day it was born

Written By: Joe on 06/02/10 at 7:09 am

The same thing with MTV, playing less music and showing mindless shows, also effected MTV2 and VH1.

Written By: Midas on 06/02/10 at 1:36 pm

Q: When did MTV start really sucking, during the 90's?

A: Yes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/10 at 7:20 pm

It sucked from the day it was born

Early MTV was a radio station with pictures.  Actually,  a lot of the new bands at the time from Duran Duran to A Flock of Seagulls owed their success to MTV.  I liked MTV because I happened to like pop music back then, especially New Wave band from Britain. 

By 1987 the cool videos were relegated to a two-hour program on Sunday nights called "120 Minutes." 

Then they started "Remote Control" with Colin Quinn, a games how.  That was when MTV crossed the Rubicon. 

Misogyny was always a problem on MTV.  Tipper Gore was an early critic.  She was also a tightwad who got in bed with the Christian Right.  A better critic was Dr. Sut Jhally who made the "Dreamworlds" series of documentaries on how MTV depicted women in music videos.  He was spot-on except for two points, the main one being he commercials were even worse than the videos.  He also selected The Cars "Drive" video as one of the baddies, which I thought was unfair.  The woman in "Drive" is depicted as mentally ill, not as a wanton sex object.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 06/04/10 at 4:38 am

ok i might be a little too young here but i think MTV is still preety genuine until 2002...... 00s for mtv was a joke...

Written By: tv on 06/09/10 at 5:41 pm

ok i might be a little too young here but i think MTV is still preety genuine until 2002...... 00s for mtv was a joke...
I don;t get MTV they were still playing rap video's like it was 2004-2005 in 2008 or 2009. Its like uh MTV your behind the times!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/11/10 at 9:56 pm

I enjoyed Beavis and Butthead and Daria.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/10 at 10:24 pm

I enjoyed Beavis and Butthead and Daria.  ::)

Definitely!  Once Mike Judge disappeared from MTV, the network had absolutely nothing to offer me. 

About that time they would give you 1/2 hour a day of "classic" MTV, ie. videos from the '80s, one of which was always Adam Ant's "Goody-Two Shoes," which is a totally annoying song.  My apologies to Adam Ant fans.

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 06/19/10 at 8:07 pm

I think it started to suck around 2002.  I actually loved TRL, but after Carson Daly left, the show went to crap, as did the channel.    At least in the '90s, the shows they introduced had to do with music, whereis now, the shows have nothing to do with music.

Actually, MTV recently removed the 'Music Televison' from their logo.

Written By: joeman on 06/19/10 at 10:30 pm

I think it started to suck around 2002.   I actually loved TRL, but after Carson Daly left, the show went to crap, as did the channel.    At least in the '90s, the shows they introduced had to do with music, whereis now, the shows have nothing to do with music.

Ouch.  Can't say I loved TRL, though I did catch a few of the episodes for music video purposes.  I do miss Celebrity Deathmatch, Daria, Beavis and Butthead, and the various "Unplugged" specials they had.  I dunno why MTV started becoming a reality tv based channel.

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 06/20/10 at 12:24 am

Ouch.  Can't say I loved TRL, though I did catch a few of the episodes for music video purposes.  I do miss Celebrity Deathmatch, Daria, Beavis and Butthead, and the various "Unplugged" specials they had.  I dunno why MTV started becoming a reality tv based channel.

I know, the reality stuff is so lame.  At least before, they would create music based programs.  Like you mentioned, Unplugged, also Diary, Making the Video, Ultrasound, etc.  I don't think anyone really expects them to play music videos 24/7 anymore, but their programing sould have stayed music based, with videos slipped in.

Written By: Starde on 06/20/10 at 2:28 am

I think it started to suck around 2002.   I actually loved TRL, but after Carson Daly left, the show went to crap, as did the channel. At least in the '90s, the shows they introduced had to do with music, whereis now, the shows have nothing to do with music.

Yeah I agree. When Carson left the show in 2003, TRL should've gone off the air because it just got worse and worse. I honestly stopped caring about MTV by 2003/2004.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/10 at 2:51 am

Everything on MTV after about '96 was totally slutty and skanky -- not even in good ways either!
8-P

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/22/10 at 10:36 am

Even if MTV was still around with its classic format today, I wouldn't like it still because most of today's music SUCKS! (Fuse is basically what MTV should have been). At least there's VH1 Classic.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/22/10 at 4:37 pm

Even if MTV was still around with its classic format today, I wouldn't like it still because most of today's music SUCKS! (Fuse is basically what MTV should have been). At least there's VH1 Classic.

I started watching Fuse back in '03 because, by that point, MTV was basically where it is now, and it was really the only place to try and catch the occasional new music video (this was before YouTube of course. Now things are much eaiser, and you don't have to sit through the crap in hopes of seeing the rare new song that's actually good).

Isn't it incredible that now, even with more "music" channels than ever before, oftentimes VH1 Classic is the only one actually playing videos?

Written By: Mr. Bump on 06/22/10 at 5:02 pm

VH1 Classic only airs music videos during the late night/morning hours (or dusk to around noon in Eastern Time), which the selection tends to be very limited/repetitive and gets interrupted by ring-tone ads.  8-P

VH1 Classic mainly airs VH1 specials/documentaries, the same ol' concert specials, and movies, which most aren't music related. Not to mention the channel tends to be very  classic rock oriented. Where's the variety?  Like it had when it made it's debut a decade ago?

Heck, how about some vintage music peformances and such from the MTV, VH1 vaults or whatever Viacom owns. Centric airs vintage "Soul Train", so why couldn't VH1 Classic air it or "Bandstand", "Midnight Special", "Solid Gold", which VH1 aired in the '90's.

YouTube & satellite radio...now that's where the music's at  8)

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 06/23/10 at 8:57 pm

^Yeah, I was gonna say that VH1 Classic doesn't play many videos anymore.    And like you said, it'd be nice if they aired music related shows, like the ones you mentioned.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/24/10 at 8:04 am

Centric which is basically a mix of classic BET (some old-school videos by black artists) along with some classic black-oriented (although they have showed Miami Vice reruns on it before) programming, with a few newer shows targeted at the 30+ audience. There is still some good VH1 classic programming; on Sunday they aired an 8-hour block of one-hit wonders in various categories (#1's, '80s) and was mostly videos, even if some artists weren't exactly one-hit wonders, such as Tiffany. At least most movies they show are music-oriented and before 2000. But I feel VH1 Classic is airing too much "metal" oriented programming as of late.

Written By: Jayman on 01/18/13 at 7:20 pm

Now MTV is a lost cause with all that Jersey Shore crap and another crappy new reality show Buckwild!

Written By: Howard on 01/18/13 at 7:34 pm

Now MTV is a lost cause with all that Jersey Shore crap and another crappy new reality show Buckwild!

I agree.

Written By: Zeb on 01/19/13 at 8:28 pm

When I was a grammar school/junior high student(freshman year of High School was 99/00) in the 1990s MTV( and VH1) was just a channel that allowed me to see the videos for many of the top 40, rock, pop and rap hits I heard on my radio. The best time for me to watch that network was late at night or early in the morning before school when it would play a long block of videos from each of the aforementioned music genres.  With the exception of Beavis and Butthead I rarely watched many of the TV shows on MTV at all.  I knew full well what The Real World was but I just felt it was a waste of space and could not imagine how anyone would find it entertaining. In my opinion, MTV( and VH1) started to "suck" around the early 2000s when both networks stopped caring about music and used reality shows and documentaries as their cash cow. 

Written By: Howard on 01/20/13 at 6:53 am

MTV wants to show reality programs instead of what it used to be.  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/21/13 at 12:36 am

When I was a grammar school/junior high student(freshman year of High School was 99/00) in the 1990s MTV( and VH1) was just a channel that allowed me to see the videos for many of the top 40, rock, pop and rap hits I heard on my radio. The best time for me to watch that network was late at night or early in the morning before school when it would play a long block of videos from each of the aforementioned music genres.  With the exception of Beavis and Butthead I rarely watched many of the TV shows on MTV at all.  I knew full well what The Real World was but I just felt it was a waste of space and could not imagine how anyone would find it entertaining. In my opinion, MTV( and VH1) started to "suck" around the early 2000s when both networks stopped caring about music and used reality shows and documentaries as their cash cow. 

I think it really just depends on your individual definition of "suck". If you mean when MTV stopped focusing predominantly on music videos, then the answer would clearly be the 90's.

To me, the more interesting question is when did MTV stop being "culturally relevant"? It still is to an extent today (with shows like Jersey Shore), but I mean more from a musical standpoint. You can certainly say alot of negative things about Y2K/TRL era MTV, but one thing you cannot accuse it of is a lack of cultural relevancy. I was very much into pop culture at that time, and I saw firsthand how, even then, MTV and Carson Daly drove the conversation in terms of what was "hot". Every major group of the late 1990's (from Limp Bizkit to the Backstreet Boys) got the MTV "seal of approval" and rode it to superstardom in much the same fashion as the Seattle alternative groups did in the early part of the decade.

I honestly have no idea what the answer to my own question is, as I haven't watched MTV regularly in over 10 years, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say it was during the mid 00's (when YouTube launched, and high speed internet connection was becoming more the norm than the exception) that the internet began to overtake MTV as the arbiter of what music kids liked.

Written By: Jquar on 01/21/13 at 2:27 am

It seems like MTV's descent coincided with the internet. I agree that by the 2005 arrival of Youtube and other video streaming sites, MTV was pretty much irrelevant musically. The downfall probably started in the mid to late 90s.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/13 at 6:19 am

It seems like MTV's descent coincided with the internet. I agree that by the 2005 arrival of Youtube and other video streaming sites, MTV was pretty much irrelevant musically. The downfall probably started in the mid to late 90s.

Will it ever go back to the way it used to be?  ???

Written By: belmont22 on 01/21/13 at 2:10 pm

I'd probably say not until the early 00s actually. TRL wasn't that bad, at least it was music oriented. MTV is irrelevant nowadays in the YouTube era.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/21/13 at 5:30 pm

They have to keep up with sheesh that will get ratings, because Youtube is where you go to watch a music video now. In some ways, Youtube is like MTV. Take a song like Gangam Style - that isn't going to be played on the radio without the Youtube hype.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/13 at 5:57 pm

Based on these replies, most people here seem to think Mtv started to suck starting around 1997 or 1998. Especially by 1998.
I guess it depends on personal preference, and also which circle of people you hang around with.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/13 at 7:23 pm

I'd probably say not until the early 00s actually. TRL wasn't that bad, at least it was music oriented. MTV is irrelevant nowadays in the YouTube era.

people watch videos via youtube these days.

Written By: slim on 01/22/13 at 7:28 am

Well i stopped watching in 2006. The last show i watched was the real world: key west. MTV just sucks now. However, i stopped watching trl when carson daily left.

Written By: Starde on 01/24/13 at 6:44 pm

I think it really just depends on your individual definition of "suck". If you mean when MTV stopped focusing predominantly on music videos, then the answer would clearly be the 90's.

To me, the more interesting question is when did MTV stop being "culturally relevant"? It still is to an extent today (with shows like Jersey Shore), but I mean more from a musical standpoint. You can certainly say alot of negative things about Y2K/TRL era MTV, but one thing you cannot accuse it of is a lack of cultural relevancy. I was very much into pop culture at that time, and I saw firsthand how, even then, MTV and Carson Daly drove the conversation in terms of what was "hot". Every major group of the late 1990's (from Limp Bizkit to the Backstreet Boys) got the MTV "seal of approval" and rode it to superstardom in much the same fashion as the Seattle alternative groups did in the early part of the decade.

I honestly have no idea what the answer to my own question is, as I haven't watched MTV regularly in over 10 years, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say it was during the mid 00's (when YouTube launched, and high speed internet connection was becoming more the norm than the exception) that the internet began to overtake MTV as the arbiter of what music kids liked.

Yep! Which was pretty much the reason why TRL was cancelled back in '08.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/13 at 6:38 am

Now, if you want to watch old clips from MTV just go to Youtube.

Check for new replies or respond here...