inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s nostalgia will likely replace '80s nostalgia over the next year...

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/08/09 at 7:43 am

For the top nostalgia decade.

I just did a Google News Search and I got 16 "90s Nostalgia" hits over 13 "80s nostalgia" hits. It's definately a sign that '80s nostalgia is soon going to be on its way out (Many of the recycled fashions in stores currently feel very 1989ish). I read an article that showed that Best Buy has a "'90s movies section" and that those are the "new '80s movies", plus the 90210 and Melrose Place revivals for TV.

'70s nostalgia is very specialized today, only receiving 2 Google Search hits, and pretty soon all '70s nostalgia will be more in line with reading history books and visiting to museums about the decade which really gives it that "old feel".

The "oldies" radio format will likely go the way of those "big band/standards" stations over the next several years leaving the "Classic Hits/Jack/Jill/Bob FM" as the main source for nostalgic music, which is mostly '70s-'90s music. 

Subject: Re: '90s nostalgia will likely replace '80s nostalgia over the next year...

Written By: Midas on 09/08/09 at 9:18 am

While that may be the case, I doubt that 80s nostalgia will ever die.  :D

Subject: Re: '90s nostalgia will likely replace '80s nostalgia over the next year...

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/08/09 at 11:43 am

I agree with that, and there's still a healthy '60s market out there (just look how many Beatles albums are currently on Amazon.com's best sellers in music. I still see psychedelic fashions and tie dye shirts frequently and still hear '60s music on the radio often. But, the '90s will have its "nostalgic heyday" very shortly. We eventually just have to dig a little deeper into the history books/archives to enjoy your favorite decade(s) over time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/08/09 at 12:19 pm

So, what's your point?  It only means I have a better chance at winning ebay auctions. :)

Written By: Davester on 09/08/09 at 2:27 pm

Folks who grew-up in the 90s are a larger demographic, so your prediction makes sense...

It won't for me, I'll tell ya... :P

Just out of curiosity I Googled "1980s" and got 45,100,000 results...
                                            "1990s" got 40,700,000 results.  Doesn't necessarily mean nostalgia, but
                                            "60s" got 40,600,000...
                                            "I hate the 80s" got 6,860,000 results...
                                            "I hate the 90s" got 3,440,000 results...
                                            "I want to have sex with Dave" got 629,000 so, you know...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/08/09 at 2:48 pm

Folks who grew-up in the 90s are a larger demographic, so your prediction makes sense...

It won't for me, I'll tell ya... :P

Just out of curiosity I Googled "1980s" and got 45,100,000 results...
                                             "1990s" got 40,700,000 results.  Doesn't necessarily mean nostalgia, but
                                             "60s" got 40,600,000...
                                             "I hate the 80s" got 6,860,000 results...
                                             "I hate the 90s" got 3,440,000 results...
                                             "I want to have sex with Dave" got 629,000 so, you know...

You're that popular eh? :)

Written By: Davester on 09/08/09 at 4:32 pm

You're that popular eh? :)

Imagine my surprise... :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/08/09 at 5:46 pm

Gotta love Google searchs!

I got over 1,480,000, for I wanna have sex with Jamie!

;D

Woo hoo for me!

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/09/09 at 2:21 pm

I love how this goes from comparing nostalgia to an ego boosting popularity thread. ;D

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/09/09 at 8:43 pm

Well, if there is a wave of 90's nostalgia--there will also be an indirect wave of '70s nostalgia--As the 90s, particularly the early-mid 90s, were influenced in quite a few ways by the '70s.

Written By: 90steen on 09/10/09 at 8:27 pm

I'm still wondering why we don't have an adult comedy about an average american family with a lot of 90's nostalgia that would debut this year, being 2009.

The Simpson's debuted in '89 with 70's nostalgia
Family guy in '99 with 80's nostalgia.

although all the nostalgic stuff may have taken a few seasons...

??????

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/10/09 at 9:19 pm

I'm still wondering why we don't have an adult comedy about an average american family with a lot of 90's nostalgia that would debut this year, being 2009.

The Simpson's debuted in '89 with 70's nostalgia
Family guy in '99 with 80's nostalgia.

although all the nostalgic stuff may have taken a few seasons...

??????

Yeah, I have the first few seasons of the Simpsons on I don't remember any mention of the 70s until the second or third seasons, and even then those were flashbacks to Homer and Marge's youth and early romance. The first season was basically the tale of a modern dysfunctional American family in the year 1989. Odd that it debuted then since that's the year my parents began dating and became, with my mother's daughters and my father's daughter, one dysfunctional American family.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/09 at 12:27 pm

I half agree with this thread, but they never totally went away in the first place - i.e. post grunge bands. ;D

It seems like FASHION is more early 90s now (like the new plaid and flannel type shirts), but MUSIC is still 80s. In fact, some of the most electronic stuff ever has come out in the past year, like Lady Gaga, Owl City, Metro Station and even Katy Perry.

I'm guessing the retro cool times will kinda run together more. I bet the 2010s will be a mix of 80s/90s throwbacks. Some stuff will probably just pass into being "eternally cool" too. For example, so many people are into the Beatles still (especially with the Rockband game and remastered cds now), so if you look at it that way, 60s nostalgia isn't even totally dead.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/27/09 at 1:07 pm

I've noticed a lot of guys wearing flannel shirts, both young and old; I've also noticed early 90s style t-shirts coming back, like what old guys wore. I saw a woman who had skinny jeans on, a blue button down shirt and her hair tied in a short ponytail; She looked like she stepped out of 1991. I've noticed more ripped jeans on guys and long hair--A lot of ponytails on men. My teacher (I'm in college) wore a black and white striped shirt; It looked like something out of 1989-1990.

Written By: 90steen on 09/27/09 at 4:23 pm

Well, if there is a wave of 90's nostalgia--there will also be an indirect wave of '70s nostalgia--As the 90s, particularly the early-mid 90s, were influenced in quite a few ways by the '70s.

Does that mean there'll also be subtle 50's nostalgia? Seeing as how the 70's had 50's nostalgia.

Written By: joeman on 09/27/09 at 7:09 pm

I half agree with this thread, but they never totally went away in the first place - i.e. post grunge bands. ;D

It seems like FASHION is more early 90s now (like the new plaid and flannel type shirts), but MUSIC is still 80s. In fact, some of the most electronic stuff ever has come out in the past year, like Lady Gaga, Owl City, Metro Station and even Katy Perry.

I'm guessing the retro cool times will kinda run together more. I bet the 2010s will be a mix of 80s/90s throwbacks. Some stuff will probably just pass into being "eternally cool" too. For example, so many people are into the Beatles still (especially with the Rockband game and remastered cds now), so if you look at it that way, 60s nostalgia isn't even totally dead.

Some parts of the 80's never went away int the 90's too imo.  A lot of electronic music that was made around the mid-late 80's was still being played even during the late 90's and rap music from that era was actually embraced some way in the 90's.  I can tell you that no one was bashing Run DMC in 1997 for example even though they were considered 'old school',

I do remember the early 90's were every body hated most of the 80's like hair metal and new wave.  This is no different than people today hating boy bands and nu-metal or in the 80s where people hated disco. 

That said, when the Nirvana movie comes out, much like the Doors movie in 91, that is when the 90's nostalgia is going to rear in for the 2010's.  Plus the teenagers of the 90's will be taking over as far as the pop media goes(ie movies, music, etc..)

Written By: joeman on 09/27/09 at 7:10 pm

Does that mean there'll also be subtle 50's nostalgia? Seeing as how the 70's had 50's nostalgia.

Why not, we even had a very subtle 40's nostalgia for this decade called "Call of Duty" ;).

Written By: 90steen on 10/01/09 at 5:44 pm

A lot of 90's songs have been remade and covered this year, I just found out, the mid 90's eurodance song "Forever Young" - Interactive was redone by Kanye... "Young Forever"

Check for new replies or respond here...