inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kurt Cobain Guitar Hero 5 controversy

Written By: Samwise on 09/11/09 at 7:36 am

Has anyone heard about this? Apparently, Courtney Love is furious over Kurt appearing as an avatar in Guitar Hero 5.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, they've had deceased rock stars in the game before, so why make a special exception for Kurt just because he died more recently? On the other hand, if he were alive, he'd never agree to his image being used like this. On the other other hand, he's become a legend. His image stopped belonging to him alone around Nevermind and now belongs to the world. On the other other other hand, that's probably what killed him.

What do you guys think? Is it tasteless to make Kurt Cobain into a playable avatar in a video game? For that matter, is it tasteless to do that with any dead rocker?

Subject: Re: Kurt Cobain Guitar Hero 5 controversy

Written By: Tia on 09/11/09 at 7:42 am

do they have any beatles or hendrix guitar hero avatars? randy rhodes?

i for one hate guitar hero, but if you're gonna have it, of course you have to have dead stars. there are more legendary dead guitar heroes than living ones. heck, i'm not sure there even ARE any living ones left.  :( then again if courtney's having a spaz maybe they have to cave on just that one. or maybe they could buy her off with an eight-ball or a nice juicy demerol prescription or something.

Written By: karen on 09/11/09 at 7:55 am

As I understand it she agreed to them using his image.  What she didn't like was that they have him lip-synching to songs by groups other than Nirvana.  I'll see if I can find the article I was reading.

Written By: karen on 09/11/09 at 7:59 am

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/courtney-love-to-sue-activision-over-kurt-cobain-character/1352459 is the article I read originally.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/10/courtney-love-kurt-cobain is the original Guardian article (extreme language)

Check for new replies or respond here...