inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Check out this mid 90s shopping center picture!

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/09 at 1:43 pm

I found a little article about this shopping plaza in a Sacramento suburb next to where I used to live (I was there from 1990 to '96). Apparently they renovated it in 2001 making it look super modern, unfortunately. I did some research on Google Earth, and the shingles on the roof looked a teeny bit different before they even fully renovated it. In that picture it's just like I remember seeing it. It's pretty cool to think I might've been inside the store when they took that picture - my townhouse complex was basically across the street and a field at the time. :)

It's pretty good quality for back then too (I'm guessing it was taken about '94/95), it almost looks like it's from a digital camera. Here's the article, but I'll cut and paste the old picture of how it used to look:

http://mognot.com/architecture/renovations/amriverplz/
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/old_biff/Albertsons90s.jpg

Subject: Re: Check out this mid 90s shopping center picture!

Written By: joeman on 09/27/09 at 7:14 pm

Cool.

I remember in 89 or 90 where my family would go to this placed called Pharmore.  It was a supermarket in which one can rent video games.  It got torned down a few years later but the store kind of reminds me of that picture you posted.

Written By: 90steen on 09/27/09 at 7:48 pm

I found a little article about this shopping plaza in a Sacramento suburb next to where I used to live (I was there from 1990 to '96). Apparently they renovated it in 2001 making it look super modern, unfortunately. I did some research on Google Earth, and the shingles on the roof looked a teeny bit different before they even fully renovated it. In that picture it's just like I remember seeing it. It's pretty cool to think I might've been inside the store when they took that picture - my townhouse complex was basically across the street and a field at the time. :)

It's pretty good quality for back then too (I'm guessing it was taken about '94/95), it almost looks like it's from a digital camera. Here's the article, but I'll cut and paste the old picture of how it used to look:

http://mognot.com/architecture/renovations/amriverplz/
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/old_biff/Albertsons90s.jpg

That looks like a '96 Ford Taurus in the picture, although I'm not positive.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/09 at 8:38 pm

Cool.

I remember in 89 or 90 where my family would go to this placed called Pharmore.  It was a supermarket in which one can rent video games.  It got torned down a few years later but the store kind of reminds me of that picture you posted.

Oh...we used to go to Pharmor all the time! They had cheap movie rentals there and we would take advantage of that. It was a cool store.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/09 at 9:16 pm

That looks like a '96 Ford Taurus in the picture, although I'm not positive.

Yeah, my mom had a '94 and I remember it looked just like that white one (Tauruses look kinda the same to me, lol). I guess the picture could've been from 1997 or so.

BTW, that's pretty cool. I don't even remember supermarkets renting video games - although I remember renting VHS tapes there as a kid all the time. I'd never want to rent videogames since I'd barely get enough time with it.

Written By: 90steen on 09/28/09 at 11:15 pm

Yeah, my mom had a '94 and I remember it looked just like that white one (Tauruses look kinda the same to me, lol). I guess the picture could've been from 1997 or so.

BTW, that's pretty cool. I don't even remember supermarkets renting video games - although I remember renting VHS tapes there as a kid all the time. I'd never want to rent videogames since I'd barely get enough time with it.

I just remember what the '96 ford Taurus looks like because that's the car my girlfriend got when she turned 16. And I remember thinking it looked cool because of the roundness of it and the circle shaped lights...  :-\\

But about supermarkets with video games, oh yeah. I used to get them cheap. And the thats where our family got all our Disney Classic VHS tapes!

Written By: Jebusa on 09/30/09 at 11:10 pm

I used to rent movies and video games from my local Marsh Supermarket as a kid.  It was awesome.  I've been working at that store for about 3 1/2 years now and back in '06 we did away with the video store, although it had been years since we rented video games.  Now we just have a couple Redbox machines.  How the times have changed!

Check for new replies or respond here...