inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What movies capture the '90s best?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/28/09 at 5:26 pm

Which movies capture the fashion, hairstyles, trends, and other novelties of the: Early (1990-1993), Mid (1994-1996), and late (1997-1999) 90s?

Subject: Re: What movies capture the '90s best?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/28/09 at 9:37 pm

For early 90's, I would say Boyz N The Hood, which showed the mix of jerry-curls and high top fade, plus the colorful clothes and ball caps and Oakley shades that were in style around 1991. Singles is a movie that captured the Seattle grunge/alternative scene. For TV shows, Saved by the Bell, 90210, and Fresh Prince displayed the early 90's styles.

For mid-90's, it's hard to pick out a single movie, but the TV show Friends really captured the fashion and hair-styles of the time. For guys it was big hair in layers, and for girls it was also shoulder length layered hair and short skirts. Sleepless in Seattle was also a defining movie of Meg Ryan's style in the mid-90's and the Seattle scene.

Late 90's, I would say American Pie.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/09 at 9:40 pm

Depends on the type of movie (alot of them, especially with younger kids or middle aged/older people, aren't as up to date with fashion or trends), but I'd say anything from 1993-98 is good for getting a feel of the times, especially if it has teens or younger adults. These are different genres, but a few offhand:

Ace Ventura 1 - a good idea of gooy 90s humor, although it's kinda timeless too
Reality Bites - very good idea of grunge/Gen X young working adults
Beavis and Butthead Do America - dumb as they are, it's a good exaggerated version of grunge era kids
Wayne's World - captures that borderline 80s feel too, but is very old school because they're rockers
Mad Love - two teens on the run in love, more of a dramatic look at it
Casper - even though it's a Disney movie, a good snapshot of younger teens c. 95 (anything with Christina Ricci is)
Mrs. Doubtfire - it's mostly funny, but has more serious and realistic parts about nontraditional 90s families.
Encino Man - another "halfway late 80s" one, definitely gives you a good idea of kids in 1992

There's lots more, especially kids movies. Even if they were behind on fashion and music, I think those are a good idea of how Elementary school kids were, stuff like Camp Nowhere or Dennis the Menace.

Written By: robby76 on 09/29/09 at 1:26 am

Loads of good suggestions. My only other input would be something like Clueless (1995) which was slap bang in the middle of the 90s. That captured the whole mobile phone craze and of course the different cliques in high school.

http://application.denofgeek.com/images/m/rop/008_Clueless.jpg

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/29/09 at 1:33 am

Ok...Thanks =]
A lot of the movies you guys have mentioned seem to capture the styles and trends of children and young adults (like in their early-mid 20s)
What about movies showing this subculture:

People age 30-45 (between 1990-1999); Basically the styles, trends, etc of middle aged people in the Early, Mid, Late 90s; The later boomers
Older hippies
The Metalheads

Also, any movies which capture the generation gap between Boomers and Gen Xers (like what was detailed in the 1991 book, Generation X by Doug Coupland)?

Written By: joeman on 09/29/09 at 2:29 am

Was it me or was the 90's centered around 20 somethings and pre-teens?  I don't there was much teen culture throughout the 90's, besides the music shaping it(Grunge, Nu-Metal, Rap, etc..).

I think the 00's was the opposite, catering towards teens and 30 somethings.

Written By: joeman on 09/29/09 at 2:33 am

Ok...Thanks =]
A lot of the movies you guys have mentioned seem to capture the styles and trends of children and young adults (like in their early-mid 20s)
What about movies showing this subculture:

People age 30-45 (between 1990-1999); Basically the styles, trends, etc of middle aged people in the Early, Mid, Late 90s; The later boomers
Older hippies
The Metalheads

Also, any movies which capture the generation gap between Boomers and Gen Xers (like what was detailed in the 1991 book, Generation X by Doug Coupland)?

Not a movie, but a cartoon called Dr Katz which Dr Katz is a hippy therapist who has a slacker son.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/09 at 9:15 am

Ones made in the 90s :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/29/09 at 9:59 am

Clueless is way up there.

Written By: 90steen on 09/29/09 at 4:19 pm

Loads of good suggestions. My only other input would be something like Clueless (1995) which was slap bang in the middle of the 90s. That captured the whole mobile phone craze and of course the different cliques in high school.

http://application.denofgeek.com/images/m/rop/008_Clueless.jpg

Yeah Clueless definitely shows a side of the brighter fashion that went along in the mid-90's, not just the darker, flannel and big t-shirt.

A good TV show is The Nanny.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/29/09 at 8:16 pm

Definitely "Clueless".  It came out just before I began my senior year in high school. 

Written By: Jebusa on 09/30/09 at 11:04 pm

This movie may have been released in 2000, but at any rate I think the movie American Beauty captures the 35-40 year old age group perfectly during the late 1990s.

Written By: Rhodes on 10/09/09 at 2:18 am

well for me its...

early 90s: Dumb & Dumber, Body Snatchers, Blair Witch Project (yes I know it was made in 1999 but it does have a 1994 feel to it)

mid-late 90s: an American Werewolf in Paris and Urban Legend (just have that 90s sort of atmosphere on those movies I think)

late 90s: American Pie,

Written By: 90slapbracelet on 02/21/10 at 2:35 pm

10 things i hate about you, she's all that, the faculty, give a pretty good vibe of the
late 90's.

Written By: Eric on 02/26/10 at 5:53 am

As Good As it Gets with Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear - The movie demonstrates society's openness and acceptance of homosexuality, people with mental disorders, and people who live outside of the norm. 

American Beauty (2000) definitely symbolizes the American family of the 90s however I think it is still true about the American family of today.

For those who said Clueless, I was in High School in the early to mid 90s and highs chool was nothing like that.  Get rid of the cell phones, everybody wore baggy clothes and had pagers.  American Pie on the other hand does a pretty good job of describing how teens in the 90s acted.

The Basketball Diaries and Boyz N the Hood  is a good representation of the more rough areas in the U.S.

Jerry Macguire is very symbolic of how corporate greed has takien control of our lives and how marriage became 'Partnerships'

Check for new replies or respond here...