inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1998

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/05/09 at 6:20 pm

What do you remember of 1998? Both pop culture wise and personally?
Pop culture wise, I remember first discovering what Playstation was--When I first heard of it, I thought it was a TV Channel or something. I remember Mulan and first hearing about Christina Aguilera--I remember seeing the video of the song she made for Mulan being on the Disney Channel a lot that year. I remember Godzilla coming out and being huge then with kids my age, as well as Dr. Dolittle and A Bug's Life.
I remember the movie Armageddon being huge amongst older kids (teenagers), and that was the year I remember Pokemon first being popular amongst kids my age (I was 8 then); By 1999 it was huge. I also remember WWF being huge in '98 (being huge from around '98-2001). I remember first hearing about Rap Metal, particularly Limp Bizkit. I remember a lot of the trends, clothes and hairstyles which would define the early 00s come into fore this year; I kind of consider 1998-2001 to be an ''era" in terms of trends, music, and general atmosphere.
Personally, it was what can be called a "Settling" Year--The last two years had been very tuburlant and active; 1998 was a quiet year in comparison, though some major events happened; My step-grandpa succumbed to COPD in February at the age of 81; My sister Kim met a man a man named Guy in 1998 and married him in August. She's still married 11 years later. My sister Jenn became engaged to her boyfriend James, whom she had been dating since 1996.

Subject: Re: 1998

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/09 at 7:26 pm

Love Inc. debuted in the Canadian chart with the Top 40 hits You're A Superstar and Broken Bones.  In 2002 and 2003 respectively (a few years after the group parted ways), these songs also would make the Top 40 in the UK.  Often regarded as 00s songs, they were not.

Written By: 90steen on 10/05/09 at 9:32 pm

Big year for me. Turned 18 in January, Graduated high school and moved out. As good as that may sound, 1998 wasn't the best year for me. My senior year of high school was hell, and i was depressively nostalgic for my life from 95 - 97.

As for pop culture, I remember all the cheesy bubblegum stuff, which got even worse in 1999. It never bothered me as much as it bothered some folks on here. 1998 was the year i stopped going to the teen club raves and started going to the adult ones with all the ecstasy heads.

I actually heard a song from 1998 today.

Are You That Somebody - Aaliyah (R.I.P.)

Written By: woops on 10/06/09 at 2:11 am

A young teenager starting highshool...

MTV went sour ("TRL"), overexposed rap music, numetal, and other junk though a few decent songs like "Intergalatic" from Beastie Boys

Written By: karen on 10/06/09 at 7:24 am

Of the number ones in the UK charts I remember Perfect Day (have the DVD), Never Ever - All Saints, All Around The World - Oasis, the dreadful My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion, Brimful of Asha - Cornershop, Three Lions 98 - Baddiel and Skinner, If You Tolerate This... - Manic Street Preachers and Millennium - Robbie Williams.

Apparently I didn't go to the cinema that year.  Films released that year such as Armageddon and Deep Impact I remember watching on TV.

We moved in the summer of 1997, my daughter was born in November 1998 and I was also in the process of changing jobs so I think I was otherwise occupied!

Written By: joeman on 10/06/09 at 9:34 am

I became a teenager in 1998.  I always said 1991 and 1998 were the best years of my life.  A lot of changes have made that years, for better or worse.  

I agree with woops on TRL though.  Carson Daly was, and still is, a joke in my eyes.  Backstreet Boys or Nysc would appear at his show and start kissing their asses and then Fred Durst appears on the show with his talk about how boy bands suck, and Carson would kiss his ass too.  He is nothing more than  a hype machine.

Edit:  Armageddon sucked, but I do love Liv Tyler in that movie.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/06/09 at 4:38 pm

I turned 11 in 98, I remember it well. Remember lots of movies, Saving Private Ryan, Armageddon, You've Got Mail, Godzilla, There's Something about Mary among many others. Music I remember P. Diddy, Nsync, Destiny's Child, Sarah McLachlan, Aaliyah, Mya, Goo Goo Dolls, Third Eye Blind, music was pretty good in 1998 though there was crap out there. "Never Ever" by All Saints always takes me back to 1998. I remember Seinfeld ending. I remember the embassy bombings, I remember the air strikes in Iraq at the end of the year. I got my first cell phone. The internet was getting more and more popular. Digital cameras and DVDs were gaining steam. 1998 still seems fresh on my mind in many ways, yet it's also distant and clearly seems like a different era to me now.

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/09 at 5:57 pm

If You Tolerate This... - Manic Street Preachers

LOVE that song.  That was a rock hit over here, and was their only chart appearance here

Written By: karen on 10/06/09 at 6:16 pm

I got my first cell phone.

I can't quite remember whether it was in 98 or 99 that we first got a mobile phone.  I know it was a special offer at the supermarket of a phone and a pager.  We chose to get one once Elizabeth was born in November 98.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/06/09 at 7:16 pm

This was the year I started to not keep up with pop culture as much as I used to. 

Also, my dad passed away that year.  :\'(

Written By: Midas on 10/07/09 at 9:24 am

Got a new job, bought a house, got married.  Lost all of that 5 years later. :D

Written By: tv on 10/07/09 at 9:48 am

What do you remember of 1998? Both pop culture wise and personally?
Pop culture wise, I remember first discovering what Playstation was--When I first heard of it, I thought it was a TV Channel or something. I remember Mulan and first hearing about Christina Aguilera--I remember seeing the video of the song she made for Mulan being on the Disney Channel a lot that year. I remember Godzilla coming out and being huge then with kids my age, as well as Dr. Dolittle and A Bug's Life.
I remember the movie Armageddon being huge amongst older kids (teenagers), and that was the year I remember Pokemon first being popular amongst kids my age (I was 8 then); By 1999 it was huge. I also remember WWF being huge in '98 (being huge from around '98-2001). I remember first hearing about Rap Metal, particularly Limp Bizkit. I remember a lot of the trends, clothes and hairstyles which would define the early 00s come into fore this year; I kind of consider 1998-2001 to be an ''era" in terms of trends, music, and general atmosphere.
Personally, it was what can be called a "Settling" Year--The last two years had been very tuburlant and active; 1998 was a quiet year in comparison, though some major events happened; My step-grandpa succumbed to COPD in February at the age of 81; My sister Kim met a man a man named Guy in 1998 and married him in August. She's still married 11 years later. My sister Jenn became engaged to her boyfriend James, whom she had been dating since 1996.
Yeah I remember Limp Bizkit sort of getting popular in late 1998 with their cover George Michael's 1988 hit song "Faith". I actually liked/like Limp Bizkits cover of "Faith" even though its really lame to say you like Limp Bizkit or a song by Limp Bizkit now.

Written By: tv on 10/07/09 at 9:49 am

Love Inc. debuted in the Canadian chart with the Top 40 hits You're A Superstar and Broken Bones.  In 2002 and 2003 respectively (a few years after the group parted ways), these songs also would make the Top 40 in the UK.  Often regarded as 00s songs, they were not.
"Love Inc." was a dance/disco act weren't they if I remember right?

Written By: joeman on 10/07/09 at 9:52 am

Yeah I remember Limp Bizkit sort of getting popular in late 1998 with their cover George Michael's 1988 hit song "Faith". I actually liked/like Limp Bizkits cover of "Faith" even though its really lame to say you like Limp Bizkit or a song by Limp Bizkit now.

I like them, but I will only admit if I was in a bar drinking or something :).  BTW, Faith was 1997 iirc.

Written By: tv on 10/07/09 at 10:07 am

Songs I remember from 1998:

So Into You-Tamia
The Sweetest Thing-U2
Lets Ride-Montell Jordan featuring Master P
All My Life-KiCi & JoJo
Too Close, I Still Luv U-Next
Feels So Good-Mase
Love Like This-Faith Evans
Money Ain't A Thing-Jay-Z featuring Jermaine Dupri
The Way-Fastball
Save Tonight-Eagle Eye Cherry
Anytime-Brian McKnight
Half On A Baby-R. Kelly
This Kiss-Faith Hill
Kiss The Rain-Billie Myers
24/7-Somethin For The People
Shimmer-Fuel
Graduate-Third Eye Blind
Pretty Fly For a White Guy-The Offspring
The First Night-Monica
Wide Open Space-Mansun
Horse and Carriage-Cam' ron featuring Mase
I Get So Lonely-Janet Jackson featuring Blackstreet
Deja Vu- Lord Tariq featuring Peter Gunz
Money Power and Respect-The Lox featuring Lil Kim
24 Hours To Live-The Lox featuring Mase
Hows It Goin' Down-DMX featuring Faith Evans
Ruff Ryders Anthem-DMX
Crush-Jennifer Paige
When The Lights Go Out-5ive
The Boy Is Mine-Brandy featuring Monica
Inside Out-Eve 6

Memories from 1998-I remember graduating High School and getting my first job which I still for the company that I started at 11 years ago.

Written By: tv on 10/07/09 at 10:14 am

I like them, but I will only admit if I was in a bar drinking or something :).  BTW, Faith was 1997 iirc.
Wikepedia says "Faith" was from 1998 and the music video for "Faith" debut in November of 1998.

Written By: Frank on 10/07/09 at 3:49 pm

1998. I was working as a credit analyst in a real fun department. There were about 15 guys there, I think 12 or 13 were gay and I was the only one who was married (I was known as "The Married guy")
It was the 2nd most fun department to work in at the time, I have some good memories from then.

Also went to Hong Kong that year and stayed at my sister-in-laws's place, the elevator in her building went directly into her unit, and at the time the rent there was $15,000 a month ( $US), yes 15 grand a month.
Spent 6 weeks there in Hong Kong. At the time I was hoping we'd to move there, but that never occurred.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/08/09 at 3:08 pm

1998 was a quiet year for me, IMO.

January-After going through the year of POOP (1997), I did a tradition that kinda lives on...Going to my church on Super Bowl Sunday and watching the Super Bowl!
February-I broke my Guinea Pig Cage...but then got another one...then my TV broke.
March-Not much happened.
April-Same here
May-This was when I started making copies of tapes.
June-I see my brother graduate from Elementary School.
July-I went to some parties.
August-I got "Yoshi's Island" on SNES.
September-I returned to a second year of Home-Schooling...my brother tried it, and it wasn't for him.
October-Not much really happened.
November-I went to Acquire the Fire for the first time, and that was fun.
December-As the year ends, 1998 was much better than 1997, but not as good as 1996 (maybe it was because I didn't have cable).

Written By: Rhodes on 10/09/09 at 2:30 am

I'd have to say 1998 is one of my favorite years. Graduated elementary school in June and started highschool in September. Started learning German, started learning to program, got my first 'top of the line' computer (which was a pentium 233mhz with a 2mb video card  ;D ) that I was using till 2002 lol and finally upgraded from windows 3.1 and of course I discovered my all time favorite drink... Jones Soda  :)

Overall a great year, though 1997 was pretty good. Only ones any fun since then were 2001 - 2004, at least for me

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/09/09 at 8:45 am

I'd have to say 1998 is one of my favorite years. Graduated elementary school in June and started highschool in September. Started learning German, started learning to program, got my first 'top of the line' computer (which was a pentium 233mhz with a 2mb video card  ;D ) that I was using till 2002 lol and finally upgraded from windows 3.1 and of course I discovered my all time favorite drink... Jones Soda  :)

Overall a great year, though 1997 was pretty good. Only ones any fun since then were 2001 - 2004, at least for me

I found this CNET box in an article from April 15:

The new high-end ($2,300-3,000):

-300-MHz to 400-MHz Pentium II processors.

-64MB to 128MB in memory, with 4.3GB to 12GB hard drives, and DVD-Roms with the CD-Roms.

-And 2002 was very late to still be using windows 3.1. Windows '95, '98, and 2000 eras all came and went. I was more "Average", getting Windows 95 at the end of '96 and Windows 98 in the fall of '99.

233MHz Pentium I by '98 was considered "budget". 266 Pentium II was "average".

Written By: Rhodes on 10/10/09 at 11:09 pm

I found this CNET box in an article from April 15:

The new high-end ($2,300-3,000):

-300-MHz to 400-MHz Pentium II processors.

-64MB to 128MB in memory, with 4.3GB to 12GB hard drives, and DVD-Roms with the CD-Roms.

-And 2002 was very late to still be using windows 3.1. Windows '95, '98, and 2000 eras all came and went. I was more "Average", getting Windows 95 at the end of '96 and Windows 98 in the fall of '99.

233MHz Pentium I by '98 was considered "budget". 266 Pentium II was "average".

Hmm, why doesn't that suprise me. Though I don't recall DVD-Roms being available then

I probably should clairify that I stopped using windows 3.1 in 1998 and upgraded to Win98 then, not in 2002 lol. On that note i'd say XP is still the best windows operating system i've used to date.

Written By: Zeb on 10/11/09 at 10:32 am

When I think of 1998 the first thing coming to my mind is the President Clinton and Monica Lewinsky affair. I was home from school when I saw President Clinton say “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky, not once.”  Honestly I felt that President Clinton owes his wife and daughter a lifetime of apologies for his unfaithfulness, however I don’t believe that he owes I or the American people atonement at all.  My Wednesday night confirmation class had a very spirited discussion of the death penalty after Karla Faye Tucker was executed.  That summer I was waking up at a friend’s home and we saw footage of the Kenya U.S Embassy attacks.  My dad took the TV from my room to his office so he could watch John Glenn return from his Discovery mission.  Phil Hartman and Sonny Bono well nobody should ever go out like that how depressing. 
Personally my uncle Mike married his fiancé Petra in the Czech Republic. My family flew to Prague for the celebration but my brother and I stayed with our grandparents in Rock Island, Illinois.  I will never forget the emotion on my WWII vet grandfather’s face when we saw Private Ryan together in the cinema…we also saw the Truman Show that week.  In spring of that year I took my date to the junior high dance, and in December my father and I watch the Bears beat the Ravens at Soldier field. On TV it was Frasier (my favorite sitcom of the 90s) every Thursday night for me without fail.  Oh yes I recall Titanic but because of that horrific song I made a promise to never see that movie for as long as I live…to this day I’ve managed to keep it ;D. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/11/09 at 9:33 pm

The LAST good year for music IMO.

A very fun year personally and pop culture-wise!

Written By: Brian06 on 10/12/09 at 1:03 am

I remember upgrading to Win 98 in 1998, I think I upgraded to a 56K modem around then too though it was still slow as hell anyway.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/12/09 at 1:10 am

When I think of 1998 the first thing coming to my mind is the President Clinton and Monica Lewinsky affair. I was home from school when I saw President Clinton say “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky, not once.”  Honestly I felt that President Clinton owes his wife and daughter a lifetime of apologies for his unfaithfulness, however I don’t believe that he owes I or the American people atonement at all.  My Wednesday night confirmation class had a very spirited discussion of the death penalty after Karla Faye Tucker was executed.  That summer I was waking up at a friend’s home and we saw footage of the Kenya U.S Embassy attacks.  My dad took the TV from my room to his office so he could watch John Glenn return from his Discovery mission.  Phil Hartman and Sonny Bono well nobody should ever go out like that how depressing.  
Personally my uncle Mike married his fiancé Petra in the Czech Republic. My family flew to Prague for the celebration but my brother and I stayed with our grandparents in Rock Island, Illinois.  I will never forget the emotion on my WWII vet grandfather’s face when we saw Private Ryan together in the cinema…we also saw the Truman Show that week.   In spring of that year I took my date to the junior high dance, and in December my father and I watch the Bears beat the Ravens at Soldier field. On TV it was Frasier (my favorite sitcom of the 90s) every Thursday night for me without fail.  Oh yes I recall Titanic but because of that horrific song I made a promise to never see that movie for as long as I live…to this day I’ve managed to keep it ;D.  

I remember when the Lewinsky story broke in 1998, and my first thought was actually "not again" since I was already well aware of the fact that Clinton was a womanizer. God I remember all those events and deaths too almost as if it were yesterday. John Glenn was especially covered heavily in my neck of the woods since he is an Ohioan.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/12/09 at 7:44 pm

I used to think that 1998 was a bad year, but looking back at it from further in the future after everything I've been through, it's actually not that bad. I guess the problems of that year we're nothing compared to the ones of this decade. At least the pop-culture was still good, especially with music. I was listening to mostly R&B and hip-hop at the time, and wasn't into the whole teen pop thing. I did like Master P at the time, which got old quick, but music from that time I could still listen to include Jon. B, Brian McKnight, K.C. and Jojo, DMX, Scarface, and Jay-Z's "Hard Knock Life".

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/13/09 at 9:36 pm

Still working as a produce clerk, found out that my dad was diagnosed with Non Lymphatic Cancer, and got cable TV for the first time.

Musically I was lestening to Ben Folds Five, Dixie Chicks, Fastball, The Presidents of the United States of America, Moby, Fatboy Slim, The Tragically Hip, Beastie Boys, Everlast, R.E.M., Sugar Ray, and Smath Mouth.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/14/09 at 4:49 pm

In 1997, we switched from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 when we packed up our Packard Bell and bought a Hewlett Packard. We switched to Windows 98 in 2000, buying a new HP Pavillion PC that year. But in 1998, we were using a Windows 95 HP PC

Written By: popguru85 on 10/15/09 at 11:33 pm

it was a year of change

personally...my mom got a better job offfer doing new york radio..my mom and step father divorced. I moved with my dad and had to attend another school while my friends were in the next town over.

pop culture...wrestling and south park were really popular. Music was limp bizkit, korn, rap and hip hop.

Written By: 80baby90child on 10/27/09 at 12:14 pm

:D nothing really sticks out about dat year in my head besides belly,ronin, and buffy.

Written By: 80baby90child on 10/27/09 at 12:17 pm

;D OH YEAH SPICE GIRLS

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/30/09 at 2:36 pm

I had a steady boyfriend. Been going out to Broadway shows with him and we were dining on Tavern In The Green while walking through Central Park. The only disadvantage is that I never got to see him all summer because of his work as a lifeguard.  :\'( The songs I loved where Bittersweet Symphony (Verve), The Real World (Matchbox 20), Paranoia (Harvey Danger), 2 Become 1 (Spice Girls), etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/10 at 1:59 am

January 18th 1998 – Lewinsky scandal: Matt Drudge breaks the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair story on his website The Drudge Report.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/18/10 at 1:43 pm

My sister Kim meets and marries her husband. They are still together. My other sister Jenn gets engaged to her boyfriend; they are married the next year and remain together.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/10 at 12:20 pm

January 18th 1998 - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducts Mama & Papas, Eagles

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/10 at 11:25 am

January 21st 1998 - Pope John Paul II visits Cuba

Written By: Ermac_Rules on 01/22/10 at 1:00 pm

1998 was half good and half bad year for me...

half good because i was freshman at high school until i dropped out from the school in 1999

half bad because my sister loses her best friend... it was hiking accident. it changed my life forever

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/10 at 2:56 pm

January 23rd 1998 - Pope John Paul II condemns US embargo against Cuba

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/10 at 1:25 pm

January 26th 1998 - Intel launches 333 MHz Pentium II chip

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/10 at 1:25 pm

January 26th 1998 - President Clinton says "I want to say one thing to the American people, I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/10 at 7:30 am

January 30th 1998 - Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Indianapolis IN on WNAP 93.1 FM

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/10 at 2:56 pm

February 1st 1998 – Rear Admiral Lillian E. Fishburne became the first female African American to be promoted to rear admiral.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/10 at 1:27 am

February 3rd 1998 – Karla Faye Tucker is executed in Texas becoming the first woman executed in the United States since 1984.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/10 at 1:28 am

February 3rd 1998 – Cavalese cable-car disaster: a United States Military pilot causes the death of 20 people when his low-flying plane cuts the cable of a cable-car near Trento, Italy.

Written By: Wiz83 on 02/03/10 at 5:50 pm

1998 is somewhat an embarrassing year for me.  I was going through a "gangsta wannabe" phase and tend to not want to remember this youthful stupidity on my part.  It wasn't as bad a year personally as 1997 was and looking back, there was some decent music that year.  Some of the songs from that year I like:

"Still Not a Playa" Big Pun feat. Joe
"Doo Wop (That Thing)" Lauryn Hill
"Together Again" Janet Jackson
"Closing Time" Semisonic
"Sex and Candy" Marcy's Playground
"Can I Get A..." Jay Z
"Hard Knock Life" Jay Z
"Ruff Rydaz Anthem" DMX
"Angel" Sarah Machlachlan
"Intergalactic" Beastie Boys

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/10 at 2:13 pm

February 5th 1998  Vandals decapitate Copenhagen's Little Mermaid

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/10 at 2:14 pm

February 5th 1998  Ice storm knocks out electricity in Québec & Ontario

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/04/10 at 11:41 am

What else do the people here remember from '98?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/10 at 2:16 pm

What else do the people here remember from '98?
I remember 1998 very well!

Written By: popguru85 on 10/21/10 at 3:54 pm

Moved to next town over and had to go to diffenet school away from friends :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/15 at 2:25 am

1998 – Titanic became the first film to gross over $1 billion worldwide.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 9:10 am

1998 – Mercedes-Benz buys Chrysler for US$40 billion USD and forms DaimlerChrysler in the largest industrial merger in history.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/15 at 12:37 pm

May 13th 1998 – Race riots break out in Jakarta, Indonesia, where shops owned by Indonesians of Chinese descent are looted and women raped.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/15 at 12:38 pm

May 13th 1998 – India carries out two nuclear tests at Pokhran, following the three conducted on May 11. The United States and Japan impose economic sanctions on India.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/15 at 8:48 am

May 22nd 1998 – Lewinsky scandal: A federal judge rules that United States Secret Service agents can be compelled to testify before a grand jury concerning the scandal, involving President Bill Clinton.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/15 at 9:37 pm

http://199.101.98.242/media/images/52372-Metal_Gear_Solid_(E)_(Disc_1)-1.jpg
The best PS1 game ever!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/15 at 9:42 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png

Written By: Howard on 05/23/15 at 6:46 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Apocalypse_starring_Bruce_Willis.jpg
For The PS1.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/15 at 7:37 am

May 23rd 1998 – The Good Friday Agreement is accepted in a referendum in Northern Ireland with 75% voting yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/15 at 8:58 pm

Adult contemporary was still popular in 1998.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/15 at 9:01 am

May 26th 1998 – The Supreme Court of the United States rules that Ellis Island, the historic gateway for millions of immigrants, is mainly in the state of New Jersey, not New York.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/15 at 9:01 am

May 26th 1998 – The first "National Sorry Day" was held in Australia, and reconciliation events were held nationally, and attended by over a million people.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/15 at 1:30 pm

May 26th 1998 – The first "National Sorry Day" was held in Australia, and reconciliation events were held nationally, and attended by over a million people.

What was National Sorry Day about? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/15 at 1:35 pm

What was National Sorry Day about? ???
National Sorry Day is an annual event that has been held in Australia on 26 May, since 1997, to remember and commemorate the mistreatment of the continent's indigenous population. During the 20th century, the Australian government's policies resulted in a "Stolen Generation"—i.e., "Aboriginal children separated, often forcibly, from their families in the interest of turning them into white Australians".

The date 26 May carries great significance for the Stolen Generations, as well as for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and non-indigenous Australians. On 26 May 1997, the "Bringing Them Home" report was tabled in Parliament.

The annual National Sorry Day commemorations remind and raise awareness among politicians, policy makers, and the wider public about the significance of the forcible removal policies and their impact on the children that were taken, but also on their families and communities.

Written By: Fearsword on 05/26/15 at 8:07 pm

National Sorry Day is an annual event that has been held in Australia on 26 May, since 1997, to remember and commemorate the mistreatment of the continent's indigenous population. During the 20th century, the Australian government's policies resulted in a "Stolen Generation"—i.e., "Aboriginal children separated, often forcibly, from their families in the interest of turning them into white Australians".

The date 26 May carries great significance for the Stolen Generations, as well as for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and non-indigenous Australians. On 26 May 1997, the "Bringing Them Home" report was tabled in Parliament.

The annual National Sorry Day commemorations remind and raise awareness among politicians, policy makers, and the wider public about the significance of the forcible removal policies and their impact on the children that were taken, but also on their families and communities.

I believe it probably should be today, May 27th as that's the date of the referendum for indigenous recognition in 1967.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/15 at 5:21 am

I believe it probably should be today, May 27th as that's the date of the referendum for indigenous recognition in 1967.
It is recognised as to be held on May 26th.

On http://www.nsdc.org.au

"The Bringing them home report (BTH Report) recommended (Recommendation No 7.a) that a National Sorry Day be held each year on 26 May “to commemorate the history of forcible removals and its effects.” As a result of this recommendation the community-based organisation the National Sorry Day Committee was formed."

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/15 at 11:44 pm

May 28th 1998 – Nuclear testing: Pakistan responds to a series of nuclear tests by India with five of its own codenamed Chagai-I, prompting the United States, Japan, and other nations to impose economic sanctions. Pakistan celebrates Youm-e-Takbir annually.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/01/15 at 10:32 pm

1998 was such a boring year.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/02/15 at 12:44 am

1998 was such a boring year.

I can see why most would say this but it was one of the most fun years of my life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/15 at 8:29 am

June 4th 1998 – Terry Nichols is sentenced to life in prison for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing..

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/15 at 4:50 am

June 5th 1998 – A strike begins at the General Motors parts factory in Flint, Michigan, that quickly spreads to five other assembly plants. The strike lasts seven weeks.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/10/15 at 3:40 pm

Moved to our first house, with my parents. Turned 18.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/15 at 1:04 am

June 11th 1998 – Compaq Computer pays US$9 billion for Digital Equipment Corporation in the largest high-tech acquisition.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/15 at 11:00 am

Culturally: In music there were all those Boy bands.

Personally: We moved into our first house, and the I turned 18....still had my gorgeous hair!! :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/15 at 3:16 am

July 4th 1998 – Japan launches the Nozomi probe to Mars, joining the United States and Russia as a space exploring nation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/15 at 2:14 am

July 10th 1998 – Roman Catholic sex abuse cases: The Diocese of Dallas agrees to pay $23.4 million to nine former altar boys who claimed they were sexually abused by Rudolph Kos, a former priest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/15 at 1:03 am

July 17th 1998 – Papua New Guinea earthquake: A tsunami triggered by an undersea earthquake destroys ten villages in Papua New Guinea killing an estimated 3,183, leaving 2,000 more unaccounted for and thousands more homeless.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/15 at 1:04 am

July 17th 1998 – A diplomatic conference adopts the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, establishing a permanent international court to prosecute individuals for genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/15 at 11:05 am

July 23rd 1998 - Just one day after Carmen Policy resigned from the San Francisco 49ers, he announced he was part of a team attempting to purchase and run the new football franchise in Cleveland.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/15 at 6:26 am

August 2nd 1998 – The Second Congo War begins.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/03/15 at 12:45 pm

The best year of the 90s in my opinion!!  ;)  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/15 at 8:14 am

August 15th 1998 – Omagh bombing in Northern Ireland, the worst terrorist incident of The Troubles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/15 at 2:56 pm

August 15th 1998 - Boyzone scored their fourth UK No.1 single with 'No Matter What', making them the first Irish group to have four No.1 singles. Also Boyzone became the first act in history to reach the Top 5 with their first 12 single releases. The song came from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical 'Whistle Down The Wind'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/15 at 3:04 am

August 17th 1998 – U.S. President Bill Clinton admitted in taped testimony that he had an "improper physical relationship" with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/15 at 12:41 pm

August 24th 1998 – First radio-frequency identification (RFID) human implantation tested in the United Kingdom.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/15 at 8:33 am

September 4th 1998 – Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded Google in Menlo Park, California, to promote the web search engine that they developed as Stanford University students.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/15 at 1:12 am

September 14th 1998 – Telecommunications companies MCI Communications and WorldCom complete their $37 billion merger to form MCI WorldCom.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/15 at 7:34 am

September 18th 1998 – The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit organization that manages the assignment of domain names and IP addresses in the Internet, was established.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/16 at 1:32 pm

Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On' set a new recorded for the most radio plays in the US with 116 million plays in one week.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/14/16 at 6:19 pm

If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself listen to more music. I wasn't to into music- was more of a tv junky, as that was all there was to do back then, though I did keep a radio on

Written By: FloppyDisk on 02/15/16 at 12:30 am

The WWE (WWF at the time) in the midst of, arguably, their greatest year ever.

Oh....and Crash Bandicoot Warped! One of my fav. games.

Check for new replies or respond here...