inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Presenting the most annoying trends of the 1990s

Written By: Stinkyy on 10/08/09 at 3:07 pm

Hi, I graduated h.s. in '95, but live in the 80s forum.

I woke up this morning remembering how much I disliked the 90s trend in which:

People on t.v. (Jay Leno - top offender) CLEANING OUT THEIR EARS with their pinky fingers!  >:(

Some sort of nervous tic? 

I promise you I'm not making this up - I became very keenly attuned to this awful trend.  Would require countless hours of research, but I promise you I remember seeing Leno do it,  and I think Letterman and others followed suit.  Disgusting! 

"Thingamajigs scratch where Thingamajigs itch."

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/muze/books/0824965906.jpg

Runner-up: 

People sitting in their chairs backwards. 

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/78367938.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=3B96878F62FEEADB594528EBB2D4EC12E30A760B0D811297

Honorable mention: 

People doing that thing where they'd flex their suspenders, especially on NBC, and Urkel from Family Matters.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/sb10067446bp-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=AE7D8592515903D8BD9802345DE2C58D10FD833A03CB2490E30A760B0D811297

Subject: Re: Presenting the most annoying trends of the 1990s

Written By: 80sfan on 10/09/09 at 1:01 am

Hey I like the people sitting backwards on the chair trend!  :-[

Lol.  ;D

Written By: Rhodes on 10/09/09 at 2:42 am

The most annoying trends of the 90s were as follows:

Furby
Pogs
Digital Pets
Pokemon
Beanie Babies

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/09 at 10:57 pm

The baggy pants look.  Sadly, it's still going on today.  I mean if you are going to wear your pants below your ass, then what the hell is the point of even wearing pants?

Written By: joeman on 10/10/09 at 4:19 pm

The baggy pants look.  Sadly, it's still going on today.  I mean if you are going to wear your pants below your ass, then what the hell is the point of even wearing pants?

It was cool because cool people like Fred Durst at the time was wearing it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/10/09 at 6:05 pm

^Funny I remember it being more of a 1991 thing, like probably because of Hammer or Kris Kross a little later. There were some kids at my elementary school with baggy pants, lol. I think it's one of those things that just never quite died.

As much as I love the early 90s (it was part of my childhood AND I was old enough to have really clear memories), I admit alot of trends from then were pretty cheesy.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/10/09 at 7:52 pm

I still see this almost daily around here.  I really thought this would've gone out of style a long time ago.  :-\\

Written By: Debbie on 10/11/09 at 10:22 pm

Hey I like the people sitting backwards on the chair trend!  :-[

Lol.  ;D

I guess everything had to be done backwards.  Like both of my nephews, when they were 15 through probably 21 they always wore their hats backwards, they even wore visors backwards and upside down.  And they wore their watches backwards (so you look at the under side of the wrist when looking at the time) .  And they wore their pants low too.  They dressed like that all the time.  While they were somewhat nice kids I hated the way they dressed.  Very annoying trends.

Written By: 90steen on 10/14/09 at 7:33 pm

So you had the girls with the straight hair and fluffy mall bangs, which pretty much existed throughout the whole decade or atleast until 1998, but from '90 to about '94, there was a trend where they would tease the top of their hair to make the bangs look, fluffier. I've seen it in a few old movies and sitcoms, and I can't believe I once thought it was normal (my sister did it in 6th and 7th grade)

I find myself staring at the hair and not the girls' face.

Written By: Tyler on 10/25/09 at 11:21 pm

wore their hats backwards, they even wore visors backwards and upside down.  And they wore their watches backwards (so you look at the under side of the wrist when looking at the time) . 

Hello,
I'm 16 and I do both of those now, I wear my hat backwards but to the side.  I know I  annoy some poeple by wearing it like that, but when they get to know me they will find out that I'm not too annoying.
About wearing watches that way, my girlfriend gave me an old Swatch watch and I wear it that way.  I don't see that too often, but I like to wear things backwards I guess.  I seem to remember someone telling me they did that back then.  I don't think that is too annoying, except for the fact that kids just have to do things different.
-----Tyler 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 12:45 pm

The little girl voices that females over the age of 5 seem to want to hang on to. 

Written By: star80 on 10/27/09 at 1:14 pm

The "Mini Van" syndrome..................YUCK

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/27/09 at 1:35 pm

"Nu metal."  :P

Written By: 90steen on 10/28/09 at 10:09 pm

Particularly in the mid-90's, I found myself wondering if some of the girls at my school had on their father's work shirt.

Written By: joeman on 10/28/09 at 10:57 pm

Fads that I think are silly now but didn't mind when I was a kid:

Yo-Yo's.  They popped up when I was in 8th grade then suddenly fade away in a couple of months.  

Magic Cards was another fad that was popular at the time.

I am not sure if this was a national thing, but down here in Florida it was popular to slow down the rap tracks so it can heavy bass in them.

Beepers, a precursor of cell-phones.  Everyone had to have one, even for no apparent reason.

Basketball shoes, though I am assuming that they are still popular even today.  I mean they still are making Air Jordans!  During Middle-School, people were judged on the shoes you wore.

Tommy Hillfiger, Polo, and Ralph Lauren clothes.  Again, people were judge by the type of clothes you were.

During Middle-School and High-School, groups like the Insane Clown Posse and Korn were really popular.  On tables you either had a KoRn(with the R in reverse) or a ICP word carved into it.

XTC.  It wasn't that bad at my school but a friend of mine who was a straight A student got hooked on it and ruined his life.  He failed classes and eventually dropped out. :(

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/03/09 at 7:06 pm

Half of the things of the 90's can be told by Doug Walker...or...The Nostalgia Critic.

Here's his webpage....www.thatguywiththeglasses.com

He remembers it so we don't have to!

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/06/09 at 7:52 pm

Beepers, a precursor of cell-phones.  Everyone had to have one, even for no apparent reason.

They were everywhere when I was in high school.  I had a feeling some people only got those beepers as a fashion accessory!  ;D

Tommy Hillfiger, Polo, and Ralph Lauren clothes.  Again, people were judge by the type of clothes you were.

This was everywhere at my high school, too, just like those beepers.  Nautica was a popular brand, too. 

Written By: joeman on 11/07/09 at 12:22 am

Yeah, the beeper store we had got converted to a cell phone shop during the 00s.  Also, I had a friend's whose uncle was into the beeper business.

I know of Nautica too.  Luckily we had a TJ Max to buy clothes and we used to buy authentic Tommy Hilfiger shirts at cheap prices.  Those damn clothes at the Burlington coat factory and Macy's were being sold for 50+ dollars, and that are the generic T-Shirts.

Written By: Davester on 11/07/09 at 11:06 am

A few that come to mind...

Drakkar Noir (can't stand the stuff)
  hi-top fade
  I remember a fad which involved leaving the monronies in place after purchasing a car...
  RAV-4
  Irony/sarcasm overkill in movies/TV.  Continues today, to an extent.  Screen characters were written to behave like smug a**holes.  VERY annoying...

Check for new replies or respond here...