inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1994

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/10/09 at 11:24 am

Anyone know about the Pop Culture, music, and TV of this wild year 1994?

I just know that was a year I had good memories though....

Jan-Cold month, but I was warm with my Sega.
Feb-Cold month, and I was grounded from my Sega.
Mar-Warm month, and I had a part in the school version of OZ.
Apr-Warm month, and I was on the Track Team.
May-Warm month, and I had some good times....
Jun-Hot month, but I had cool times with Youth.
Jul-Hot month, and I still had Sega and Youth.
Aug-Hot month, and I said goodbye to my Youth Pastor.
Sep-Cool month, and I saw that my first crush wasn't at school.
Oct-Cool month, and I was having a fine time.
Nov-Cool month, but what was cooler was the Browns being a decent team.
Dec-Cool month, and I say that since it was a Green Christmas.

The year when Hootie was big and Seinfeld pwned TV. I wish I could go back. :-\\

Subject: Re: 1994

Written By: woops on 10/10/09 at 11:39 am

A 10 year old into pogs & Power Rangers (don't ask)

Also got cable  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/10/09 at 1:17 pm

Those were the days. What was I doing in '94...I was collecting coins, I probably still have my '94 coin book somewhere. Also collected baseball cards. Got my first TV and VCR in my room. I think I still had Super NES at this time. I was avid Nickelodeon watcher way back then, I liked Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All. I remember the "Goosebumps" books, I remember the girls liked the "Baby Sitter's Club" books.

Written By: joeman on 10/10/09 at 4:18 pm

I went to a different school that year, but I wasn't really happy with it.  I saw Kurt Cobain's death coverage on tv and was sad by it, but my brother took harder that I did.  We had cable that year and I was watching Nickelodeon when it was great(I think it still had Ren and Stimpy on there).  Everybody was into Goosebumps.  I did own an Atari Jaguar, anyone remember those?

Written By: woops on 10/10/09 at 4:28 pm

Also liked Nickelodeon, which I watched "Rocko's Modern Life", "Ren & Stimpy", and "Looney Tunes".

Also Cartoon Network, which was mainly vintage Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera, and MGM cartoons and before they started airing original cartoons.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/10/09 at 5:49 pm

1994 was awesome, both personally (for the most part) and for the pop culture. I think it's the peak of 90s culture, I like it because it's VERY old school and nostalgic now, but it's the very bieginning of certain things that could tie it in with today too. Like Green Day getting popular and the internet just barely taking off.

I associate it with movies like Mrs Doubtfire, Forrest Gump as well as tons of kids' movies like The Lion King, and songs like "The Sign", "I'll Make Love to You", "Come to My Window" and "Baby I Love Your Way". Sitcoms from then were great too, I think that's when Seinfeld started peaking.

There were alot of choices, and it's cool that the 80s still weren't very old. Some of that stuff was still "half popular" and I associate alot of that with my memories of that year too.

Written By: woops on 10/10/09 at 6:19 pm

"Lion King" is a classic and a favorite out of the Disney animated films of the time  8)

DC "Looney Tunes" comic books series also started, though wasn't aware of them and didn't come to full speed until around 1998 when they hired illustrator David Alvarez (though went downhill about 7 years ago)...

Wasn't into popular music until I was around 12/13

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/10/09 at 8:00 pm

I started my junior year in high school Fall 1994.  It was a good year, but very hectic. 

The music was really terrific that year...loved Ace of Base, Counting Crows, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Sarah McLachlan (really got into "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" that year), Stone Temple Pilots, Toni Braxton, Lisa Loeb, and many others.

I also remember how sad a lot of my friends and peers were when Kurt Cobain committed suicide. 

Also attended my final slumber party on prom night....me and a bunch of gal pals went out to play miniature golf (I sucked, as usual  :D), then went home and watched movies all night long.  :)

Written By: 90steen on 10/11/09 at 12:01 am

Not a very great year for me. I was going through my awkward 14-year old stage. Caught up in so much friend drama, felt like I was in love for the first time, was finally being diagnosed with my depression and bipolar type II symptoms and the doctors were putting me on all the wrong medications that only made matters worse. medications that a 14 year old *should not have been on* which increased suicidal thoughts and all of that. Was in-patient twice that year. That's also the year I started high school and I got expelled right before we got on christmas vacation. I lived a pretty dysfunctional life in 1994 but 1995 was a much better year, and i improved on a lot. one of the best years I've ever had actually so it made up for 1994.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/11/09 at 12:07 pm

Not a very great year for me. I was going through my awkward 14-year old stage. Caught up in so much friend drama, felt like I was in love for the first time, was finally being diagnosed with my depression and bipolar type II symptoms and the doctors were putting me on all the wrong medications that only made matters worse. medications that a 14 year old *should not have been on* which increased suicidal thoughts and all of that. Was in-patient twice that year. That's also the year I started high school and I got expelled right before we got on christmas vacation. I lived a pretty dysfunctional life in 1994 but 1995 was a much better year, and i improved on a lot. one of the best years I've ever had actually so it made up for 1994.

1997 was like that...I'll tell you later on another thread.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/11/09 at 9:28 pm

I LOVE 1994.

That year I became a Power Rangers fan and watched Fox Kids like an addict!
I began kindergarden.

I remember hearing the song "I Swear" everywhere and hating it. Lol. Overall, music was good imo.

I remember it being such an innocent time for me and just playing with my toys around the house. 1994 will always have a place in my heart! What a rosy time in my life.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/12/09 at 7:27 pm

Here's what I remember about 1994:

- Earthquake in L.A.
- The Winter Olympics in Littlehammer (spell?), Norway (and the whole Tonya Harding vs. Nancy Carrigan ordeal)
- Listening to mostly West Coast Rap (Cypress Hill, Warren G, Ice Cube), and some East Coast (Wu Tang Clan, Method Man). The Beastie Boys album "License to Ill" was a good one released that year
- On the radio, there was a lot of good New Jack Swing/soul like "Feenin" by Jodeci, "Back and Forth" by Aaliyah, "I Wanna Be Down" by Brandy, "Do You Mind" by Changing Faces, and "Bump and Grind" by R. Kelly (that one might have been late 1993)
- I was in 9th and 10th grade at the time
- There was a lot of good movies that year, but I didn't see most of them until they came out on VHS
- TV I was mostly watching was Simpsons, Martin, Married With Children, Beavis and Butthead, and MTV's The State
- I was playing Sega Genesis, and the games of that year were Sonic 3, NBA Jam, and Mortal Kombat II.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/13/09 at 9:06 pm

Had my last year in high school, went to London, England on a high school trip, got ready to go to Conferation Colege, in Thunder Bay, and my brother moved to Calgary.

I was listening to The Beastie Boys, Shania Twain, Elton John, Faith Hill, Green Day, and Ace of Base, on CD.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/14/09 at 4:57 pm

January--Probably began the process of moving from an apartment in Bensonhurst to one in Bay Ridge, where we had a backyard, badsement and garage.
March--By March we were moved in.
April--Just kid stuff; we have home videos from April 1994 and it's mostly me playing in the backyard, me using my electric car (both me and my nephew had electric cars which we rode in]), playing in the sand box, etc.
May--Same as above; Except in May we traded in one set of electric cars for another using phony excuses.
June--My father turns 40; My sister Jenn turns 22 and my sister Kim turns 21. Home videos taken on June 22 of me and my nephew horsing around in the backyard and plastic pool. My godfather gets me the Lion King on a bootleg VHS two days before it's released.
July--My dad and sister Jenn go up to Bear Mountain and have a week long camping trip; In July my sister Kim gives birth to her second son, Andrew. Kim was living at my grandma's at the time, but the first house Andrew was brought home from the hospital to was ours; He and my sister slept over my house the first few days of his life. His coming home from the hospital on July 19th is captured on video and in photos.
August--My aunt's wedding. We have photos from that event.
September--I start Pre-K. My mom turns 40.
October--Not much
November---I turn 4. My birthday is filmed. I teach my grandpa how to play Sega Genesis.
December---We have home movies of my school performing a play for Christmas '94.

Photo: Andy after coming home from the hospital with my dad and I, July '94
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1558/july199439.jpg

Written By: Midas on 10/14/09 at 5:12 pm

First part of 1994 I was enrolled at Clemson University.  I worked part-time in the Financial Aid office.  Was living with my dad and dating a girl I had met in Phoenix in 1991 who was now in Raleigh NC going to NC State, so I'd drive up once a month or so to spend the weekend with her.  Had some issues with my dad and vowed to save up to move up to NC over the summer.  After school was out I worked 3rd shift at Square D in their Sheet Metal Fabrication department and learned how to do MIG welding (which was kinda fun until that hot bead burns a hole or three in your clothes :D )  Saved up enough to move to Raleigh in August; by that time the girl and I had broken up :D but there were more job opportunities and more to do up there.  Worked 3 weeks at Office Max.  Got on at a medical supply company in customer service in September.  Met a girl three years older than me (I was 22) in November that I dated for about 9 months.  Went out a lot.  I'm still trying to figure out how I went out and survived on less than $8/hr. :D

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/27/09 at 1:52 pm

Did you know that as of March 2009 the average copyright year of a book in a library is 1994? Basically, that means about a 30-year cycle for a book at the library. Most books before the 1980s are now sold off to privates and eBay is a good place for those books.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/09 at 1:54 pm

Did you know that as of March 2009 the average copyright year of a book in a library is 1994? Basically, that means about a 30-year cycle for a book at the library. Most books before the 1980s are now sold off to privates and eBay is a good place for those books.
I found that eBay buyers were not interested in ex-library books.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/04/10 at 11:41 am

hm

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 10/05/10 at 1:09 pm

I was in 3rd grade. I really don't remember much atleast right now i don't. I still have a pog collection somewhere. I hope. God I wanna go back!

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/13/11 at 9:54 am

1994 was one of the best years for me personally. I was fourteen and graduated Jr.High around June 94, and then later on in the year I started High school.

Check for new replies or respond here...