inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Female singers - better than guys in the 90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/10/09 at 5:45 pm

I think a vast majority of my favorite music (especially from 1993 to '98) were women singers. I liked alot of guys too, but not as much.

There seemed to be a bigger selection of choices than anytime before or since... but I was a big fan of early Mariah, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Toni Braxton, Ace of Base and tons of others. Maybe it's because of the feminist stuff going on around then (Lilith Fair is a good example), combined with the times being more casual in alot of ways, had something to do with it?

Not that it matters musically, but alot of them were cute too. I think 90s chicks were much sexier than most current ones, but that's another story. ;) In fact however, the fact that some weren't necesarilly "hot" in the typical sense, spoke alot to the fact that the music was good.

Subject: Re: Female singers - better than guys in the 90s?

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/09 at 7:06 pm

I used to listen to quite a few female artists in the 90s, though at time, I only knew them to hear them.  Didn't know the names of the artsits then, but I do now.

Here's 20 at random that that I absolutely loved back in the day, all featuring female voices ...

N-Trance - Set You Free
West End Girls - Not Like Kissing You
Enya - Caribbean Blue
♦ Candi and the Backbeat - The World Just Keeps on Turning
La Bouche - Be My Lover
Alanis - Feel Your Love
Carol Medina - Tell Me You Love Me
♦ Sheree - Before We Fall
2 Unlimited - No Limit
Basia - Cruising For Bruising
Le Click - Call Me
Swing Out Sister - Am I the Same Girl?
One 2 One - Peace of Mind (Love Goes On)
Playahitty - 1-2-3 (Train With Me)
Fun Factory - Take Your Chance
Susanna Hoffs - My Side of the Bed
Celine Dion - Have A Heart
Whigfield - Big Time
Amy Grant - Good For Me
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kiss Them For Me

Written By: gibbo on 10/10/09 at 7:24 pm

I think a vast majority of my favorite music (especially from 1993 to '98) were women singers. I liked alot of guys too, but not as much.

There seemed to be a bigger selection of choices than anytime before or since... but I was a big fan of early Mariah, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Toni Braxton, Ace of Base and tons of others. Maybe it's because of the feminist stuff going on around then (Lilith Fair is a good example), combined with the times being more casual in alot of ways, had something to do with it?

Not that it matters musically, but alot of them were cute too. I think 90s chicks were much sexier than most current ones, but that's another story. ;) In fact however, the fact that some weren't necesarilly "hot" in the typical sense, spoke alot to the fact that the music was good.

Totally agree... I remember remarking to me wife (way back in the 90's) that there seemed to be more female artists on the radio than male. The only new male artists seemed to be in 'boy bands' back then. I think it may be more balanced now.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/10/09 at 8:31 pm

I don't know about better but certainly hot!

Drain STH:

http://www.ear.fm/Encyclopedia%20D/drain_sth.jpg

Jewel:

http://www.bergproperties.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/jewel-kilcher-03.jpg

Alnis Morissette:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/34248139/Alanis+Morissette+_JPG.jpg

Paula Cole

http://www.paula-cole.com/img/Paula_Cole.jpg

Ant

Written By: joeman on 10/10/09 at 10:59 pm

Funny thing about women in the 90's was the fact that I would mix up names.  I really thought Fiona Apple and Alanis Morissette were the same person!

There were a lot of female artists and lead singers I did like at the time.  The Cranberries had a female singer and No Doubt was where Gwen Stefani started(even though I hate her later work).  I did like Joan Osbourne and Tori Amos the most.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/11/09 at 9:30 pm

Then 1999 came and the Britney Spears era began and screwed up the music industry!  ;D

Written By: belmont22 on 11/22/12 at 2:31 am

Found this old topic.

Yeah - I definitely agree. I think the 90's were pretty horrible for male voices. They did that douchey, rap-rock kind of thing, that started as early as 1989 with Epic - Faith No More. Either that, or they sang that super low, Eddie Vedder kind of voice. Any man can sing when they sing that low.  ::)'

Written By: Jquar on 11/22/12 at 11:03 pm

There was a lot of great male music in the 90s. Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, The Verve, Jeff Buckley, R.E.M, Nirvana, tons of rap etc. Pop music was kind of female centric, I guess.

It seemed like the bulk of the #1 Billboard hits in the 90s were by divas, which got kind of old.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 8:12 pm

There was a lot of great male music in the 90s. Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, The Verve, Jeff Buckley, R.E.M, Nirvana, tons of rap etc. Pop music was kind of female centric, I guess.

It seemed like the bulk of the #1 Billboard hits in the 90s were by divas, which got kind of old.

Eh, I don't think Thom Yorke or Damon Albarn are very good singers myself. Jeff Buckley is amazing, but he didn't really get famous until after his death.

Written By: Jquar on 11/27/12 at 7:18 pm

Eh, I don't think Thom Yorke or Damon Albarn are very good singers myself. Jeff Buckley is amazing, but he didn't really get famous until after his death.

Their voices definitely aren't for everyone, but I guess it's hard for me to picture a band like Radiohead or Blur being fronted by a female singer. I think there was great female rock in the 90s but also plenty of really good male rock.

Check for new replies or respond here...