inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1997 (POOP)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/11/09 at 12:21 pm

I call it that because of the "Celebrity Jeopardy" sketch where Donahue (Hammond), Reynolds (McDonald), and Brando (Goodman) had to write what the year is (the answer was 1997, of course) but Donahue had diarrhea of the pen as well as his mouth, Reynolds had written nothing, and Brando wrote (his doll actually did) POOP!

Well...here's how my year went...

Jan-Coming out of the 1996 hangover, hoping that the year would bring much greatness like 1996 did, it actually in a way was.
Feb-I broke the VCR remote and that upset me more, but today I found out that those VCR remotes can be fixed by putting it back together.
Mar-The trip to Deer Creek wasn't that memorable because I had no pillow (I could've asked the front desk but didn't).
Apr-Finally, I got a remote to replace the other one and the trip to Washington D.C. was great. I hope to go again one day.
May-I was going to get confirmed and get first communion. It was pomp and circumstance, but it was okay.
Jun-My VCR only now had one recording speed and after I graduated from elementary...things were...well...dull.
Jul-The summer wasn't memorable and I don't remember doing much unlike the summers before.
Aug-I started Home Schooling. I liked it, but later I realized that it put me behind.
Sep-We lost our cable and we tightened the belt a lot.
Oct-Not much happened, but we did see the Indians get defeated by the Marlins and that sucked.
Nov-Not much happened.
Dec-Christmas was a little low key since we really didn't have much money.

Not only was the year bad for me, but the music of 1997 was bad...unless you're a fan of Hanson or Spice Girls.

Subject: Re: 1997 (POOP)

Written By: woops on 10/11/09 at 12:28 pm

Became a teenager...

Watched more MTV, though it was in the verge of becoming a vast cesspool...

Watched "South Park" and entering my "Cartoons Are Not Cool except for MTV 'toons, South Park, Family Guy (1999, I know)" phase where I stopped watching Cartoon Network & Nickelodeon...not knowing that theatrical cartoons were intended for adults...

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/12/09 at 7:52 pm

1997 was a year of big changes in my life. It was the year I graduated high school, got out into the world and mixed with the wrong people, and decided to join the Navy to get my life together. I'm still in the Navy today and making it a career, so in a way everything that is happening right now is because of '97.

The music I was listening to at the time was mostly alternative and punk rock, such as Sublime and 311's "Transistor" album, and on the radio I remember hearing Chumbawumba and Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I also got into hip-hop in the later part of the year. With TV, it was when South Park first started and I especially liked the Christmas episode with Mr. Hanky. I wasn't really into going to movies at the time. My favorite movie of '97 was Fifth Element, which I didn't see until late '98/early '99. Starship Troopers was good too, which I didn't see until the next year.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/12/09 at 8:15 pm

1997 was really the final year I kept up with the current pop culture.  Listened to a lot of Sarah McLachlan, Paula Cole, Jewel, Shawn Colvin, Dave Matthews Band, Matchbox 20, and Foo Fighters that year. 

I was living in NV that year, going to college and working. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/09 at 10:49 pm

The pinky and the brain, the pinky and the brain, one is a genius, the other's insane, they're laboratory mice....

That's all I remember from 1997.

No, but seriously, 1997 was a year I started to realize I'm not a little kid anymore. I was 9, but all my toys no longer mattered to me anymore and my outlook on life was different!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/13/09 at 9:07 pm

My second year living at my new house, with my roomates, still working as a produce clerk, but briefly also worked at a hardware store.

I also went to France, for the World Youth Day, it was a fun city, with great food.

We went to the top of the Efifel Tower, checked out the birthplace of St. Teresa, saw a clown who smoked, crashed a wedding recption (actually we were invited!), almost ate squid, and on the last day, went out and ate some French Ice Cream.

Eerily, after we left, Princess Diana died in a car crash, near one of the places, the Pope held a mass.

Musically, I was into Matchbox 20, Seal, Foo Fighters, House of Pain, Dave Matthews Band, and Barenaked Ladies.

Written By: 90steen on 10/14/09 at 7:17 pm

Did anybody else feel like the 90's took a turn in 1997? Not just culturally, but from a lot of people's stories, 1997 was a year things changed for a lot of people, including me.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/09 at 11:08 pm

Did anybody else feel like the 90's took a turn in 1997? Not just culturally, but from a lot of people's stories, 1997 was a year things changed for a lot of people, including me.

I agree totally! There was smell of change in the air and you could tell the peak of the 90's was over!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/09 at 11:09 pm

Oh, yeah, a lot of people in my life went through personal changes also.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/15/09 at 11:20 pm

Well, 1997 was a busy year--A year I don't remember very well save for some specific major (to me) events.
We started off 1997 by moving--We literally spent the last two weeks of 1996 moving our stuff in trucks from our apartment in Brooklyn, NY to our new house in New Jersey--And officially closed out our apartment there on January 1st. My parents spent the year getting me involved with stuff there--I began taking tap dancing, joined a bowling team and joined the Cub Scouts in 1997.
In April or May, my dog Jack (my first dog, who I loved dearly) was hit by a car and killed--That was heartbreaking for me. I came home from bowling and was told he had been killed the night before--I began to cry and thought it was a sick joke. My mom had a heart infection, ended up in a coma for two weeks and nearly died--But recovered quickly.

We spent most of the year totally remodelling and adding to the house--Cutting down huge trees which threatened the house; having men come and fill the sand in the yard with peddles, planting and growing a garden of tomatoes and grapes; having a deck built; building and installing a man-made pond in the yard; We got a cockatiel. We bought a boat.
In August, we went to Sesame Place and I nearly got killed on a water ride. I spent Halloween in Brooklyn with my sister and her kids, and trick or treated with them. We came in for Christmas 1997 and visited her and the kids--and me and my nephew (same age as me) got a whole bunch of the Lost World: Jurassic Park toys for Christmas.

Written By: popguru85 on 10/15/09 at 11:31 pm

being a fifth grader in middle school
listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Smashing pumpkins, etc
got playstation this year along with final fantasy 7
really into wrestling, hockey, etc

Personal wise...dad got remarried and my sister turned 2 i turned 12.
that is about all i can remember

Written By: 90steen on 10/21/09 at 9:54 pm

I agree totally! There was smell of change in the air and you could tell the peak of the 90's was over!

There was that, and just it seems like society came out with a lot of bulls*it that year that took the last little bit of innocence the world had. In1997 I was 17, and I just remember, starting sometime that summer, my views on things changed. I no longer wanted to dress the way that I used to and I couldn't get away with all the stuff I've managed to get away with before.

Written By: 80baby90child on 10/27/09 at 12:12 pm

;D I was born in 1989 and 97 is as far as I can remeber back in the 90s when that's  fade with the lines on the top you know the romeo from Steve Harvey Haircut well atleast i thought so. It sticks out alot for me cuz that when I became heavily immersed in rap.I started writing rhymes down on a yellow notepad while rewind my big cuzzins The Firm cassette and I even had a little rap name "CorDisc" I got it from a episode of I think Xena or Hercules anyway it was the first time I got suspended and a whole bunch of sheesh.

Written By: 80baby90child on 10/27/09 at 12:20 pm

8) In my book I consider being established in 1997 but now that I look back I would  say 99

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/09 at 1:55 pm

Céline Dion's My Heart Will Go On, need I say more?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/31/09 at 8:18 pm

January 1st 1997: My family removes the last of our stuff and officially closes out our apartment in Brooklyn which we had lived in since January 1994--The best place we ever lived in IMO--and our move to New Jersey is completed. We bought the house on December 2nd, 1996 and spend literally the whole month in a mad rush moving--up to the very day of December 31st. In other news, Rudy Giuliani was sworn in for his second term as Mayor of NYC, and 20 days later Bill Clinton would be sworn for his first term as president.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/09/10 at 1:23 am

Not only was the year bad for me, but the music of 1997 was bad...unless you're a fan of Hanson or Spice Girls.

Also unless you managed to look beyond what the mainstream was spewing out at the time. 1997 had some gems that unfortunately didn't get much recognition.

And Radiohead's OK Computer came out in 1997! Hard to think it's been almost 13 years.

Written By: joeman on 01/09/10 at 11:42 am

Also unless you managed to look beyond what the mainstream was spewing out at the time. 1997 had some gems that unfortunately didn't get much recognition.

And Radiohead's OK Computer came out in 1997! Hard to think it's been almost 13 years.

Definitely agreed.  I really hate everyone is having a view that the late 90's was about teen pop.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/09/10 at 12:04 pm

Definitely agreed.  I really hate everyone is having a view that the late 90's was about teen pop.
Even though I prefer 1990-1995, there were some banging music that came out after 1995.  1997 have some awesome R&B/hip hop music that came out.  Erykah Badu's BADUIZM, Mary J Blige's SHARE MY WORLD, Missy Elliot's SUPA DUPA FLY, Puff Daddy's NO WAY OUT!  The 1990s from the beginning to the end was the best time for R&B music in my opinion.  That teen pop bullsheesh is for the kids.  I was too old for that, and I came of age in the mid to late 90s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/10 at 1:59 am

January 18th 1997 – Boerge Ousland of Norway becomes the first person to cross Antarctica alone and unaided.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/10 at 12:20 pm

January 20th 1997 - Comet Hale-Bopp crosses Mars' orbit

Written By: Ermac_Rules on 01/22/10 at 12:56 pm

1997... let's see, it was awesome i guess because it's where i saw Heather Graham removed her shirt in Boogie Nights for the first time :D she's very beautiful actress as past and current actresses.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/10 at 2:52 pm

January 23rd 1997 – Madeleine Albright becomes the first woman to serve as United States Secretary of State.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/10 at 2:53 pm

January 23rd 1997 – Antonis Daglis, a 23-year-old Greek truck driver is sentenced to thirteen consecutive life sentences, plus 25 years for the serial slayings of three women and the attempted murder of six others.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/10 at 7:32 am

January 30th 1997 - Minuteman III launches

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/10 at 2:09 pm

February 2nd 1997 -  "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus" closes at Gershwin NYC

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/10 at 2:15 pm

February 5th 1997  "Juan Darien-Carnival Mass" closes at Vivian Beaumont New York City NY

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/04/10 at 8:47 am

1997 was, if you're into the weather a pretty terrible year. We had one hurricane make landfall in the USA, which was named Danny. It meandered through the south and then moved back offshore off of the Delmarva, and stalled 25 miles from Nantucket before moving out to sea...For good. The April Fools Day Blizzard of March 31-April 1 was nothing but a washout on Nantucket. El Nino kicked in during Hurricane Season and the resulting winter was absolutely pathetic, only 0.7" of snow fell at Nantucket, and that was all on December 28, 1997.

Check for new replies or respond here...