inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1995

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/12/09 at 1:45 pm

Here's another year of view thread. To me, 1995 was like 1994...but different too....

Jan-It was a month where not much happened, but it felt like 1994 still...
Feb-I went to the Rain Forest Exhibit at the Zoo...that was cool.
Mar-I went to Deer Creek and that was fun.
Apr-It was a slow month, but I started to watch 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'
May-I started to watch 'Home Improvement'
Jun-I saw 'Forrest Gump'
Jul-It was a fun summer with the TV shows I watched and taped.
Aug-I made a tape that had most of the stuff I remember in 1995.
Sep-I would start Jr. High and ditch the Disney Channel on cable (Now I wish I didn't).
Oct-I spent some times with my Youth Group.
Nov-In my mind...I would make-up The Deep Red Band (It would be a band featuring me and a few characters that I saw on TV).
Dec-It would be the 1 1/2 Best Year that I would ever have.

Subject: Re: 1995

Written By: woops on 10/12/09 at 2:34 pm

Watching Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network,some MTV (mainly "Beavis & Butt-Head", "The Head",  & "Liquid Television") and nothing much stood out for me in pop culture that year...

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/09 at 3:17 pm

It was like 1994 Part II!  ;D

1996 on the other hand...

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/12/09 at 7:32 pm

I agree that 1995 was like an extention of 1994, so I tend to get them mixed up when I try to look back and remember. A lot of the music I was listening to might have been released in '94, such as Dave Matthews Band's "Under the Table and Dreaming", Hootie and the Blowfish, and Nine Inch Nails "The Downward Spiral". What stands out about 1995 is I was listening to mostly alternative, like Pavement. 311's self titled album was really good (probably my favorite album of that year, and by 311). The only major news event I can recall at the time is the OKC bombing. 

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/12/09 at 8:11 pm

I started my senior year in high school in the Fall of 1995.  It was a little less hectic than my junior year. 

Finally got to go out with this guy I was madly in love with.  We were together for a little while, but it didn't last.  :-\\

I listened to a variety of music that year...Hole, Veruca Salt, Liz Phair, Weezer, Elastica, TLC, Seal, ThalĂ­a, Selena (:\'(), Michael Jackson, and a lot of others. 

Mostly watched MTV or VH1 for music videos and Beavis and Butthead.  In general, I was watching more cable and much less network TV. 

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/13/09 at 12:23 pm

At the time, this was like the first year I remember not liking. It wasn't the first year that sucked to me. It just the first year I really, truly looked at as sucking. Hard to explain. It just felt really dull to me at the time. Looking back, I like it much better. Really great albums released that year. Underrated movie year, too.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/13/09 at 12:31 pm

At the time, this was like the first year I remember not liking. It wasn't the first year that sucked to me. It just the first year I really, truly looked at as sucking. Hard to explain. It just felt really dull to me at the time. Looking back, I like it much better. Really great albums released that year. Underrated movie year, too.

Compared to 1994, it was dull. I agree!

Written By: woops on 10/13/09 at 2:21 pm

The WB made it's debut that year, though was more focused on cable and only watched "Unhappily Ever After"...for only several episodes

Don't think I watched "Kids WB", though I wasn't into "Animaniacs" anymore and my Power Rangers phase was also over.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/13/09 at 8:34 pm

I was 19 years old at the time, almost 20 and pretty much fresh out of high school, and had a disastrous year at college.

Because of that, I moved to Oakville, where I still live.

Musically speaking, I was listening to Dave Matthews Band, Tragically Hip, Hootie and the Blowfish, Garth Brooks, Soundgarden, Devo, Depeche Mode, and Pink Floyd.

I was also watching on TV, Friends, Ren and Stimpy, Seinfeld, Melrose Place, Home Improvement, and Hercules, The Legendary Journeys.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/13/09 at 8:39 pm

I also went to the World Youth Day, in Manila, Philippines. It was really great, and fun. The city was a interesting place to visit.

Unfortuntly, I had a heat rash on my leg, and didn't feel too great the first three days. And my friend's leg, was nearly ran over by the Popemobile!

;D

Written By: 90steen on 10/14/09 at 7:10 pm

1995 was the year I put my past behind me and just started over. After being committed in a mental facility in from Dec. 16 - 18 in '94, I decided I needed to dedicate that christmas vacation to changing my life around. I was a month shy of 15 at the time, and i was starting a new program at school after my expulsion. It was a program for those who were expelled could still get an education and still be in school with a little more provided attention, which, I was supposed to be out of the 8th grade like my sister and best friend were but I got myself out of it somehow. When I started it first day back from christmas vacation, it was so much easier and better, and being in a class with my best friend and sister turned out to be a good thing, they noticed how well the three of us worked together.

1995 was also the year I was introduced to weed, which was on valentine. I grew a fondness of it which died by the time '96 came about. Spent the summer going to the local pool everyday for the first time since 1992. Went to my first rave in August. Started 10th grade that Fall.

1995, along with 1993 are the two best years for music, IMO. I was listening to the radio a lot that year. I think it's very different from 1994, although that may only be because of how different my life was those 2 years. But it seems like pop culture, particularly music and fashion, were pretty much identical throughout 1995 and 1996. With rap becoming a little more new-school, and r&b dominating the charts with eurodance.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/27/21 at 8:36 pm

I remember one particular day in 1995...

My sister and I (she was 11 and I was 15), we were watching the top 100 songs of 1995 on VH1. We were using our VCR to record the music videos on some VHS tapes. I still remember the number one song was "Let her cry" by Hootie and The Blowfish. This was at the end of the year I think it was early December. We sure had fun that day!

At that time I was a troubled teen(only at school that is). I had a couple of friends but I didn't really socialize much. If I was in a great mood I would talk. I use to keep to myself and whenever my friends talked I would just sit there being bored...lol. I didn't really get into trouble. Thankfully. Then when I got home I was a completely different girl. I would play video games, listen to music, sing, laugh...that was everything. I would laugh all the time.

I would say 1995 was a great year. I wish I could relive it! :)

Written By: Howard on 06/28/21 at 6:55 am

This was the year My Brother had passed away.  :\'(

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/21 at 1:10 pm

Hootie & The Blowfish - Let her cry (1995)

1aVHLL5egRY

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/21 at 3:24 pm

I was born in 1988! But, I'd say 1994, or 1995, was my first clear year of my memory! Especially 1995! I was 6 years old in 1995!

I don't think most people's memories are that clear until about age 6, or 7! And most people's first memories are like age 2 to 4!

Written By: MagicalCherry1987 on 09/11/21 at 1:28 pm

Here's another year of view thread. To me, 1995 was like 1994...but different too....

Jan-It was a month where not much happened, but it felt like 1994 still...
Feb-I went to the Rain Forest Exhibit at the Zoo...that was cool.
Mar-I went to Deer Creek and that was fun.
Apr-It was a slow month, but I started to watch 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'
May-I started to watch 'Home Improvement'
Jun-I saw 'Forrest Gump'
Jul-It was a fun summer with the TV shows I watched and taped.
Aug-I made a tape that had most of the stuff I remember in 1995.
Sep-I would start Jr. High and ditch the Disney Channel on cable (Now I wish I didn't).
Oct-I spent some times with my Youth Group.
Nov-In my mind...I would make-up The Deep Red Band (It would be a band featuring me and a few characters that I saw on TV).
Dec-It would be the 1 1/2 Best Year that I would ever have.

Nov sounds like stuff I did. I made up a band called "Natasha and the Slayers," featuring me, Space Ghost, Katie Kaboom, Catwoman (the BTAS version), Sonic, and Huckleberry Hound.

Anyway, I remember in August of 1995, the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode introducing Chad Ghostal aired. Y'know, the one where he doesn't appear on screen, but his voice is heard and at the end, he's behind the camera? I developed a crush on Chad due to that voice. I was 8.

I also remember in October, they started playing that disgusting Yoshi's Island commercial. I couldn't eat lunch if I saw it around 12pm, and it was at its worst during Space Ghost episodes, which came on at 11pm, so that means I'd have to spend the second half of the show thinking about it (and not being able to sleep afterwards.) If you haven't seen it, look it up if you dare. Nevertheless, I got the game for Christmas that year.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/13/21 at 2:51 pm

I've always thought of 1995 as a quiet year. A busy one, but quiet. A year that quietly set up a lot of the rest of the decade.

1994 was pleasant, serene, and peaceful. 1996 would be turbulent and strange.

1995 was a pretty mild midpoint as such.

My mother was obsessed with the OJ Simpson trial the entire year.

My sister fully re-entered my life, having re-entered in Fall 1994, she would be a regular presence throughout 1995 and into 1996.

I delved into the world of Sega having first gotten a Genesis for my birthday in November 1994, and I quickly became a Sonic fanboy. By the end of 1995, I had two pairs of Sega/Sonic sneakers. For most of 1995, I wore Power Rangers sneakers. I also got heavily into X-Men, the cartoon, and Gargoyles in 1995.

Our family got our first home PC in the spring of 1995 and by the end of 1995, my dad and I were using it regularly as both a form of bonding and education.

My father got rid of the Chevy Astro he had had since 1990, and in spring or early summer 1995 bought a 1989 Ford Bronco II, which he would have until November 2001, and which I associate with my childhood as such

We got a second dog, Fox, in May 1995. She would be a companion to my first dog Jackie (who had been gotten back in 1993). After Jackie died a premature death in 1997, she would be our sole dog for the remainder of the 1990s, with us until her own death in 2009.

In 1995, the Pataki years started in my home state.

I changed schools in February 1995, completing Pre-K at a second school in June 1995.

In the summer of 1995, I made two friends who I remained friends with until two years ago.

In September of 1995, I started school at my favorite school.

I had a massive fifth birthday at Funtime USA in Brooklyn NY in November 1995. I do not remember it, but photos show it was a massive party a few days before my actual birthday.

I celebrated my actual birthday on Thanksgiving 1995.

Check for new replies or respond here...