inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1999

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/15/09 at 2:42 pm

It was the end of the Millenium...to some and to others...the end of the world! And for some...2000 would be the end of the Millenium.

Well...who gives a fudge? This was one of my best years that I've ever had!

The biggest thing in Pop Culture was...Y2K.

Subject: Re: 1999

Written By: woops on 10/15/09 at 2:56 pm

Nothing really

"Current" music was bad since it was TRL era pop, rap, and numetal, I was into older popular music

Watched "Family Guy", "South Park", and a few MTV shows like "Sifl & Olly" & "Celebrity Deathmatch"

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/09 at 3:09 pm

1999 was the black sheep of the 90's!  ;D

Anyways, I noticed an EXTREME shift in pop culture. Adult contemporary and acoustic music was out and thus began the Britney/Nsync era. I noticed hip hop beggining to dominate like never before. I thought it was only a phase... I was wrong!  :-\\

But overall, I had fun that year and went jetskiing with my friends that summer once a week! It was such a fun summer and year overall.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/15/09 at 7:31 pm

Middle school years for me. I personally think music was quite good being that I am a fan of pop music and always will be, true there was some really corny crap like the Ricky Martin, LFO etc. But there was also great stuff like Christina Aguilera, TLC, Sarah McLachlan, Goo Goo Dolls, Sixpence None The Richer, Lauryn Hill, Destiny's Child, Santana, Shania Twain. My music taste was shaped for the upcoming years as somewhere in between teen pop and urban. I think there was this sunny carefree happy air to 1999, everything seemed good then and it was. 1999-2001 was a great era, but some don't realize how good it was.

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/09 at 7:49 pm

A guilty pleasure of mine in 1999 was the pop song 'One For Sorrow' by Steps.  It reached UK #2 and helped propel Steps to become one of (if not) the BIGGEST pop group(s) in the UK of the late 90s.  They never made waves in North America, but this did reach #26 in the Canadian Dance chart and #38 in the US Dance/Club Play chart

Steps - One For Sorrow

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/15/09 at 7:56 pm

The only big dates I remember from this year were my Communion (in April), my sister Kim giving birth to my niece (April).
In August my mom, dad, I, and my sister Kim, her husband and her kids and two friends of mine took a trip--We went from Six Flags to the Amish Country in Lancaster and stayed there, all of us in two adjoining hotel rooms, for a week. In October my new niece was baptized. In December, my parents and I celebrated the new Millennium at my sister Kim's house; I watched the Ball drop on TV and at 9 years old thought it meant the end of the world.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8201/august19991.jpg
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/8171/img0053a.jpg

Written By: joeman on 10/15/09 at 9:12 pm

1999 was an interesting year for me.  Started High School and had my first job.  I remember a whole bunch of Y2K products which I thought was stupid.  I was into Everlast, Eminem, and a few nu-metal bands.  I was watching Mission Hill, Daria, Celebrity Deathmatch, Southpark, and the beginnings of Family Guy.  I really didn't hate that year at all.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/15/09 at 9:21 pm

1999 was an interesting year for me.  Started High School and had my first job.  I remember a whole bunch of Y2K products which I thought was stupid.  I was into Everlast, Eminem, and a few nu-metal bands.  I was watching Mission Hill, Daria, Celebrity Deathmatch, Southpark, and the beginnings of Family Guy.  I really didn't hate that year at all.

Sounds like you were pretty well up on the trends and whatnot. I've often said--and let me know if you agree--That the time period between 1998 or 1999 and 2001 was an era--The era of boy bands, girl bands, the rise of rap, with nu-metal reigning supreme--And that by 2002, nu-metal's popularity had fallen off, as had the boy/girl bands, leaving rap and garage rock as well as the beginning of emo.

Written By: joeman on 10/15/09 at 10:48 pm

Sounds like you were pretty well up on the trends and whatnot. I've often said--and let me know if you agree--That the time period between 1998 or 1999 and 2001 was an era--The era of boy bands, girl bands, the rise of rap, with nu-metal reigning supreme--And that by 2002, nu-metal's popularity had fallen off, as had the boy/girl bands, leaving rap and garage rock as well as the beginning of emo.

Yeah, a lot of bands from the late 90's/early 00's era broke up.

Rap has always been big, it changes changes all the time. Rap changed least 3 times during the 90's.  A lot west coast/east coast rappers in the early 90's were still rapping with beats that got carried over in the 80's and eventually the tempos slowed down during like 92ish-93ish(though Dr Dre paved the way for a slower beat in The Cronic).  After Biggy died(or when Puff Daddy got big, pick your poison), rap slowly became upbeat again.  DMX and Eminem were exceptions, though I always thought DMX was far more intimidating than anyone from the Compton scene.

Rap changed again when 50 cent became big, but that is going through the 00's territory.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/15/09 at 10:59 pm

Yeah, a lot of bands from the late 90's/early 00's era broke up.

Rap has always been big, it changes changes all the time. Rap changed least 3 times during the 90's.  A lot west coast/east coast rappers in the early 90's were still rapping with beats that got carried over in the 80's and eventually the tempos slowed down during like 92ish-93ish(though Dr Dre paved the way for a slower beat in The Cronic).  After Biggy died(or when Puff Daddy got big, pick your poison), rap slowly became upbeat again.  DMX and Eminem were exceptions, though I always thought DMX was far more intimidating than anyone from the Compton scene.

Rap changed again when 50 cent became big, but that is going through the 00's territory.

Heh. I'm not a big rap fan, but it was 1997 when I first heard the word ''Phat''--Kids my age (2nd graders) were using ''phat'' in 1997; In 1999 I remember hearing about Limp Bizkit a lot, and Green Day.

Written By: joeman on 10/15/09 at 11:02 pm

Heh. I'm not a big rap fan, but it was 1997 when I first heard the word ''Phat''--Kids my age (2nd graders) were using ''phat'' in 1997; In 1999 I remember hearing about Limp Bizkit a lot, and Green Day.

Green Day has been around for a while before then.  Not sure where 'Phat' came from, but we had a kid in High School who was by definition a wigger.  He was also fat too, so a couple of people referred him as being 'Phat'. lol

Written By: tv on 10/17/09 at 4:31 pm

1999 was the black sheep of the 90's!  ;D

Anyways, I noticed an EXTREME shift in pop culture. Adult contemporary and acoustic music was out and thus began the Britney/Nsync era. I noticed hip hop beggining to dominate like never before. I thought it was only a phase... I was wrong!  :-\\

But overall, I had fun that year and went jetskiing with my friends that summer once a week! It was such a fun summer and year overall.
No Hip-Hop really wasn;t dominate in 1999 maybe your confusing 1998 with 1999 since Puff Daddy was very popular in 1998. Still even thoiugh the "shiny suit era" of hip-hop was iin in early to mid 1998 there was other types of music too listen too.

Written By: woops on 10/17/09 at 6:55 pm

In high school, majority of my peers were into rap...  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/09 at 11:18 am

No Hip-Hop really wasn;t dominate in 1999 maybe your confusing 1998 with 1999 since Puff Daddy was very popular in 1998. Still even thoiugh the "shiny suit era" of hip-hop was iin in early to mid 1998 there was other types of music too listen too.

I think I got rap confused with r and b! And I don't think rap started to dominate until 2003?

Written By: tv on 10/18/09 at 7:26 pm

I think I got rap confused with r and b! And I don't think rap started to dominate until 2003?
R&b wasn;t even that popular in 1999 unless your talking about early 1999 since stuff like Faith Evans, Ginuwine, and Monica were popular in early 1999.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/09 at 7:35 pm

R&b wasn;t even that popular in 1999 unless your talking about early 1999 since stuff like Faith Evans, Ginuwine, and Monica were popular in early 1999.

1 karamel for fixing my mistake!  :D

Written By: Timmeh on 10/20/09 at 10:51 am

Great year, remember it well. I was 16 back then. We listened to rap music, wore baggy clother and things like that. In late '99 we played Dreamcast and stuff like that. It just felt like a magical year.

Written By: 90steen on 10/21/09 at 9:49 pm

1999 was the year my twin sister had her first baby. I had custody of her all that year because my sister was going through some troubles. It was a pretty good year. I had been away from my home some time being in college that whole year and the space between me and my dad brought us a lot closer. It was nice having a little baby girl around to take care of while my sister was out piling up DUI's

Written By: 80baby90child on 10/27/09 at 12:05 pm

;D 1999 was a great year for me alot of special things happenned it was not like the rest of the 90s but it introduced a change especially in reality television.I almost lost my virginity that year.HOT BOYS was the shizznit in my book dat year

Written By: 90'sslapbracelet on 02/21/10 at 2:47 pm

99 was a great year for me. I was 17. We had a very hot summer that year.
I went on a few city trips with some classmates. it was a blast. and
for some reason i remember us talking a lot about how much we liked music from the 80's.
I remember Trl, columbine, the fightclub, y2k. I had my first cellphone that year and i got a
eyebrow piercing. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/22/10 at 7:03 am

Everybody wanted to collect everything Pokémon that year (especially those cards) as the craze peaked in November with the movie. To me it was seen as a mostly 1986-93 born people craze, as myself born in 1985 saw only one other person into Pokemon at the end of 8th grade, and when I entered High School I was afraid to tell people I was into Pokémon.

That was the year we also got Internet full-time, not just a trip to school or to the library anymore to use it.

What makes 1999 so dated today is it was still pretty much all CRT monitors and just CDs; plus television was still standard defination and except for MTV, reality hadn't started yet (stuff like Ally McBeal and Spin City was popular then). Also, almost all URLs still included the "www" in their addresses.

Overall, It's Generation Y, but with a few residual X elements left. Beyonce as a member of Destiny's Child, however, was breaking through; it felt like a change of pace at the time (even though Britney, Jennifer Lopez, and Christina were more popular at that point).

Check for new replies or respond here...