inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is/was your favorite 90s year and why?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/15/09 at 10:06 pm

Out of the 9 years of the 1990s, which was your favorite (both in terms of pop culture and your own life) and why?

Subject: Re: What is/was your favorite 90s year and why?

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/09 at 10:11 pm

But there were 10 years in the 90s. 

Awesomes that Is knows that.  I graduatedes the high skoolz 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/09 at 10:37 pm

1996 because there was a magical feeling about the year. But 1997 would come in close second!

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/15/09 at 10:46 pm

1996 because there was a magical feeling about the year. But 1997 would come in close second!

Agreed. 1996 was a very interesting, very busy year--A year full of life, change, and momentous activity for my family. I was 6, but I remember it very well--It was a magical year and I'd say for me 1999 comes in second. 1997 and 1998 were dark years, of loss and tension.

This was my the amount of activity throughout 1996:

January--My dad's pet cockatiel, Louie, dies at the age of 14, of an infection.
February--My niece Megan is Christened; my parents and I take a trip upstate during the Mid-winter recess. My sister Jenn meets a man named James and quickly begins dating him; They would marry in 2000.
March--My sister Nicole's Sweet 16. Jenn moves out of our house and begins living with James.
April--My parents, I and my sister Jenn and her new boyfriend James take a trip to Timothy Lake over the Easter break.
May--Sometime around May, we rescue (from our yard) a pregnant feral Cat; it has kittens.
Late Spring-Early Summer 1996: My sister Jenn moves out of my and my parents' house to move in with James. My sister Nicole and my dad fall out and do not speak for 5 years.
June--I graduate from Kindergarten.
July or August: My father and I travel to Virginia, staying at a Days Inn, and go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg
August: My dad's family has a family reunion in Long Island; my dad and I go; My parents and I go Upstate. My sister Kim has a son.
September: I start 1st Grade. My dad cuts his mullet and for the first time in my lifetime (and the first time since 1977) has short hair; he keeps his hair short for the next 5 years.
October: My parents begin negotiations to buy a house in NJ; Three or four houses are looked at; A house is chosen at the end of October.
November: I turn 6. My parents purchase the house in Mid November; The process of moving begins and continues from November through December.
December 31st: The move from Brooklyn NY to New Jersey is finished; It continues up to the very last week of December. We close our apartment in Brooklyn out officially January 1st 1997.

So...3 vacations, the old bird dying, one BIG family reunion, one HUGE move to another state, rescuing cats and kittens. my sister moving out and meeting her future husband, my other sister and Dad falling out, the Macarena, and a graduation from Kindergarten--a pretty busy and wild year.

Written By: woops on 10/15/09 at 10:47 pm

Don't have a favorite year, but I've thought it would be cool to been a bit older in the early part of the decade...or probably not

Written By: joeman on 10/15/09 at 10:48 pm

Out of the 9 years of the 1990s, which was your favorite (both in terms of pop culture and your own life) and why?

Can I have two answers?  

1991 and 1998 for me.

I agree with Woops.  I wish I a teen during the Early 90's.

Written By: Troy Jeffries on 10/16/09 at 2:53 am

I was born in 1988.
I have 4 answers: 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999
During the first two I was in kindergarthen. They now seem so old-school.
In 1998 and 1999 I was a 4th and then a 5th grader and it was a wonderful time.
I used to listen to some of the teen pop, but totally ignored Britney and Christina Aguilera. They've never been my cup of tea.

Written By: 90steen on 10/21/09 at 9:57 pm

1996. Was, and still is, the best year of my life. Most people's best year didn't occur at age 16 for them, but it did with me. And then came 1997, which started out almost as good in as '96 was.. Until that 4th of July when I started to have a real police record  8-P

Written By: Red Ant on 10/22/09 at 12:53 am

'96.

Ant

Written By: Paul on 10/22/09 at 2:11 pm

They all rushed by in a blur, so I don't rightly recall many of 'em...

However, I can tell you my least favourite year of that decade, but that's not really keeping in the spirit of things...

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/22/09 at 6:32 pm

1993, 1994 and 1996 are my current favorite years. Maybe a slight edge to 1994 for my exact favorite.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/23/09 at 1:13 pm

Agreed. 1996 was a very interesting, very busy year--A year full of life, change, and momentous activity for my family. I was 6, but I remember it very well--It was a magical year and I'd say for me 1999 comes in second. 1997 and 1998 were dark years, of loss and tension.

This was my the amount of activity throughout 1996:

January--My dad's pet cockatiel, Louie, dies at the age of 14, of an infection.
February--My niece Megan is Christened; my parents and I take a trip upstate during the Mid-winter recess. My sister Jenn meets a man named James and quickly begins dating him; They would marry in 2000.
March--My sister Nicole's Sweet 16. Jenn moves out of our house and begins living with James.
April--My parents, I and my sister Jenn and her new boyfriend James take a trip to Timothy Lake over the Easter break.
May--Sometime around May, we rescue (from our yard) a pregnant feral Cat; it has kittens.
Late Spring-Early Summer 1996: My sister Jenn moves out of my and my parents' house to move in with James. My sister Nicole and my dad fall out and do not speak for 5 years.
June--I graduate from Kindergarten.
July or August: My father and I travel to Virginia, staying at a Days Inn, and go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg
August: My dad's family has a family reunion in Long Island; my dad and I go; My parents and I go Upstate. My sister Kim has a son.
September: I start 1st Grade. My dad cuts his mullet and for the first time in my lifetime (and the first time since 1977) has short hair; he keeps his hair short for the next 5 years.
October: My parents begin negotiations to buy a house in NJ; Three or four houses are looked at; A house is chosen at the end of October.
November: I turn 6. My parents purchase the house in Mid November; The process of moving begins and continues from November through December.
December 31st: The move from Brooklyn NY to New Jersey is finished; It continues up to the very last week of December. We close our apartment in Brooklyn out officially January 1st 1997.

So...3 vacations, the old bird dying, one BIG family reunion, one HUGE move to another state, rescuing cats and kittens. my sister moving out and meeting her future husband, my other sister and Dad falling out, the Macarena, and a graduation from Kindergarten--a pretty busy and wild year.

I'd have to go with 1996 too. I even mentioned it before!

Often imitated...never duplicated.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/09 at 6:28 pm

I noticed a lot of people saying 1996. Yes, what a beautiful and dreamy year. That was the Clinton era at its peak and the energy nationwide was just so happy and sunny. Music was great on the radio, the economy was banging, tv was still fun, and the summer of 1996 was a summer I, and my friends will never forget!

The first half of 1997 still had this energy and by late 1997 I could feel that the mid-90's were over.

1999 was my third favorite year after 1997.

The worse? 1990, but only because I don't remember any of it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/25/09 at 2:11 pm

^To me, 1997 was the worst year of the 90's. :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/09 at 5:20 pm

^To me, 1997 was the worst year of the 90's. :-\\

Yeah, don't forget people's personal lives adds on to if they think that year is good or not. 

Written By: Brian06 on 10/25/09 at 8:58 pm

I'd say 1996 too cuz it's really old school now and I actually remember it well, so it's a good combo!

Check for new replies or respond here...