inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rodney King

Written By: joeman on 10/26/09 at 4:12 pm

I vaguely remember hearing his name a lot during the early 90's, but really didn't know what the story is until this year.  Anyways, how big was the story when you guys first saw it? and do you guys think the actions made by the police were justified?

Subject: Re: Rodney King

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 4:55 pm

It was a huge story when it came out, and no, the police weren't justified.  For some reason people seem to like to see someone get a beat down, me included, but, I don't like to see coming from cops, ever.  They don't always get it right, and they have been known to use their shields for protection from prosecution when meting out vengeance for their own reasons. 

Written By: Davester on 10/26/09 at 5:04 pm

It was bigger than big and alot of folks were shocked.  Remember this is a time before everyone over the age of five carries a video camera with them at all times...

Actual, authentic footage of a group of police officers beating an unarmed citizen, laying on the ground on the side of the road, was HUGE news.  Now, I can surf youtube and probably come up with a hundred of these kinds of video clips.  Actually I did last weekend...

Judging by the video, no, not justified.  It appears grossly excessive, but there were so many questions.  With that many officers standing around you'd think they'd have been able to restrain him, even with difficulty, instead of prolonging the incident in an attempt to beat him into submission...

Video has been known to lie, too.  So it's a very tough call to make without having been on the scene when it happened...

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/09 at 5:09 pm

I remember the incident well.  Along with the L.A. Riots, California was certainly under the microscope in the early 90s

The Rodney King incident was (somewhat) spoofed in the movie 'National Security' starring Steve Zahn and Martin Lawrence.

Written By: nally on 02/02/10 at 6:04 pm

I remember it even better cuz' it happened close to where I then lived!

According to Wiki, Mr. King and two guys had been at some friend's house watching a basketball game and drinking...before finally hitting the road and traveling on I-210 (a freeway which I am quite familiar with) in L.A. Sometime shortly after midnight, he began to be pursued by a pair of police officers; he then got off the freeway and traveled exceedingly fast on surface streets. When the officers had him cornered, then the drama all began.

After 3 of the officers were acquitted in the trial, their verdict spawned the L.A. riots, which lasted a whole weekend.

Check for new replies or respond here...