inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YakBak, Don't Wake Daddy, and other 90's games and toys

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/01/09 at 4:14 pm

Anyone remember the ''YakBak''--It was a micro recorder for kids wherein you could record whatever you wanted and play it back. Then there were popular 90s board games like "Don't Wake Daddy" and other cool kids games--Anyone ever play any of these, or have other 90s toys/games you remember?

Subject: Re: YakBak, Don't Wake Daddy, and other 90's games and toys

Written By: SolidusAKA on 11/03/09 at 1:02 am

Me and my brother were just reminiscing about Creepy Crawlers, not really specifically a 90's toy but that stuff was a big part of my childhood. The 90s was the last generation that a parent would ever allow their kids to touch burning hot metals by accident in the name of making worthless gel molds of bugs haha. Regardless, creepy crawlers was awesome. Also, getting the goo on your hands was a bitch to get off and felt really gross. CREEeeEEEPPPPy CRAWLERS!

Written By: wildcard on 11/03/09 at 10:49 am

I use to have a Yak Bak and my brother had a Yak Bak 2 which had some sounds built in.  We had a Don't Wake Daddy game.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/09 at 8:37 pm

I remember these games....how about BopIt? They still make it to this day. Ohh...and Gooey Louey!

Written By: Wiz83 on 02/03/10 at 5:55 pm

Anyone remember Shark Attack?  It was a board game that I owned in 1990 where you're supposed to keep your fish from getting eaten by the big shark.  I can still remember seeing the commercial for it on TV and then asking my mom to buy it for me.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/04/10 at 5:10 am

I totally remember those YakBak's! In fact, I think I still have one. It provided hours of endless fun for my sister and me. I remember recording my sister laughing and then playing it back at different speeds and with the added sound effects... it was the hardest we have ever laughed in our entire lives. We laughed so hard we both had stomach spasms and our faces hurt!!!  ;D

Written By: nupur on 02/20/10 at 8:21 pm

yakbaks! yeah!! my brother had a red one, and we'd secretly record our parents talking and then play it back for them like "HAHA you didn't know we were recording you! :D" oh, how easy it was (and still is!) to amuse me. i remember thinking that they were like the poor man's version of the talk boy and talk girl (like the one macaulay culkin had in home alone 2).

& yes! i still remember don't wake daddy and its commercials so vividly. i remember really wanting that game just so i could push the button on the little alarm clock.  i also always wanted hungry hungry hippos because, for some odd reason, those little white marbles were really attractive to me. i mean, i probably would have gotten the game and just played with the marbles. i guess i was a weird kid . . .

Check for new replies or respond here...