inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Speed

Written By: joeman on 11/21/09 at 11:05 am

While people know Keanu Reeves from the Matrix in the 90's, but he was in a really popular film back in the day called Speed.  The movie also inspired a sequel called "Cruise Control".

Anyone remember Speed?  I remember watching when it first came out and all I remember from it was the bus Keanu was driving can't go past a certain speed or else it will blow up.

Subject: Re: Speed

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/09 at 12:11 pm

Speed was a great movie.  Speed 2: Cruise Control wasn't all that great, but I liked it because UB40 (to me, the greatest band ever) make a cameo appearance in it. 

If they had kept Keanu Reeves for the sequel, it might have been more popular.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/09 at 12:14 pm

I love that film! By the way, the sequel, sucked.

"I saw this movie about a bus that had to speed around a city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if it's speed dropped, it would explode! I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Written By: joeman on 11/21/09 at 12:19 pm

lol I forgot that Simpsons reference!

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/09 at 12:26 pm

While people know Keanu Reeves from the Matrix in the 90's, but he was in a really popular film back in the day called Speed.  The movie also inspired a sequel called "Cruise Control".

Anyone remember Speed?  I remember watching when it first came out and all I remember from it was the bus Keanu was driving can't go past a certain speed or else it will blow up.

Keanu wasn't driving the bus... Sandra Bullock had to drive the bus after the bus driver was shot.
The bus could not drop below 50MPH. It's quite a quotable film. One of many films I know 90% of dialogue for.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/09 at 12:26 pm

Speed was a great movie.  Speed 2: Cruise Control wasn't all that great, but I liked it because UB40 (to me, the greatest band ever) make a cameo appearance in it. 

If they had kept Keanu Reeves for the sequel, it might have been more popular.

yeah Jason Patric kinda sucked the big one in Speed 2

Written By: Red Ant on 11/21/09 at 7:38 pm

I remember Speed - good flick. Keanu was in Point Break before that, also a good movie.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/09 at 7:53 pm

Keanu wasn't driving the bus... Sandra Bullock had to drive the bus after the bus driver was shot.
The bus could not drop below 50MPH. It's quite a quotable film. One of many films I know 90% of dialogue for.

"I've already seen the airport"

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/22/09 at 1:48 am

Speed was a good movie. I haven't watched in a long time but I should soon. One of my favorite lines in the movie is when a guy on a cell repeated everything Keanu Reeves said to the police, and Reeves said "F*** me!" and the guy on the cell just said "Oh, darn!"

Btw, I always remember Keanu Reeves as Ted from Bill & Ted. I always thought Alex Winter, who played Bill was going to be the bigger actor with more roles, but he wasn't in much besides B&T and Lost Boys. Keanu Reeves was in a whole lot of movies since then.

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 10:17 am

"I've already seen the airport"

Keanu sees the device attached to the bus....

"F*ck me!"

Alan Ruck relaying what Jack says over the phone....
"...oh darn!"

;D ;D ;D

Speed was a good movie. I haven't watched in a long time but I should soon. One of my favorite lines in the movie is when a guy on a cell repeated everything Keanu Reeves said to the police, and Reeves said "F*** me!" and the guy on the cell just said "Oh, darn!"

I see I'm not the only one!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 10:20 am

"You- Gigantor..."

"I prefer Ortiz"  ;D

Written By: nally on 11/22/09 at 6:26 pm

It was the first R movie I ever saw. It was ok, but I think Keanu Reeves did a great job in the lead role.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/09 at 6:32 pm

Man, that movie had an R rating?  What the hell is with the American movie rating system?  The slightest swear and it gets an R.  In Canada, a movie could have a wild sex scene and non stop words that would make a priest hang himself ... and still only get a 14A rating (which is our equivalent to PG-13). 

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/09 at 6:37 pm

Man, that movie had an R rating?  What the hell is with the American movie rating system?  The slightest swear and it gets an R.  In Canada, a movie could have a wild sex scene and non stop words that would make a priest hang himself ... and still only get a 14A rating (which is our equivalent to PG-13). 

some times they throw in extra swear words or violence because people are more likely to want to see an R rated action film over a PG 13  its all about the psyche of the American public.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually PG13 worthy and they actually asked for the R rating for that reason.

Written By: midnite on 11/25/09 at 8:31 pm

LOL.  American movie ratings are goofy. I was actually surprised that Bruno is rated R.  In the theater, I saw kids (yes, kids) seeing the movie with their parents.  Their faces during the scenes were worth the ticket price alone. 

Written By: midnite on 11/25/09 at 8:32 pm

While people know Keanu Reeves from the Matrix in the 90's, but he was in a really popular film back in the day called Speed.  The movie also inspired a sequel called "Cruise Control".

Wasnt he in a little movie called "Bill & Ted."?  I enjoyed the surfing cop flick too.

Written By: nally on 01/09/10 at 1:52 am

some times they throw in extra swear words or violence because people are more likely to want to see an R rated action film over a PG 13  its all about the psyche of the American public.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually PG13 worthy and they actually asked for the R rating for that reason.

The Fox Movies Channel just showed it this evening, and I watched parts of it while primarily watching something else. They aired it uncensored, so I got to hear some of the naughty stuff. Not that I wanted to, but I was curious about certain segments of it again.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/10 at 2:57 am

The Fox Movies Channel just showed it this evening, and I watched parts of it while primarily watching something else. They aired it uncensored, so I got to hear some of the naughty stuff. Not that I wanted to, but I was curious about certain segments of it again.

Jeff if you think the language in Speed is naughty then we probably should never meet  ;D

Written By: Frank on 01/09/10 at 3:05 am

Speed was an excellent film, one of the best of the time period. Keanu was fab in it. Speed 2, like so many sequels just tanked.

Alan Ruck, good old Cameron from Ferris Buehler's

Written By: nally on 01/09/10 at 3:38 pm

Jeff if you think the language in Speed is naughty then we probably should never meet  ;D

I didn't say all of it was, just certain portions.

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/10 at 7:06 pm

I didn't say all of it was, just certain portions.

but in comparison to how I curse (on a daily basis) I contest that there are no naughty words in that film.  ;D

Written By: nally on 01/10/10 at 7:17 pm

but in comparison to how I curse (on a daily basis) I contest that there are no naughty words in that film.  ;D

Sometimes I crack up at it though. ;)

Written By: BillfromMaspeth on 02/12/10 at 12:20 pm

Anyone remember Speed?  I remember watching when it first came out and all I remember from it was the bus Keanu was driving can't go past a certain speed or else it will blow up.

Yeah, I do. It was a VERY cheesy movie. I hated it, and the 90's.

Subject: Speed

Written By: Dude111 on 03/03/18 at 12:40 pm

Reeves from the Matrix in the 90's, but he was in a really popular film back in the day called Speed.  The movie also inspired a sequel called "Cruise Control".

What a joke... Speed 2 was crap..... The first one IS EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

I have it on VHS :)

Check for new replies or respond here...