inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How does the decade of the 90's stack up in terms of movies?

Written By: tv on 11/26/09 at 11:04 am

How do 90's movies stack up when compared to other decades in terms of movies. For example, were the 90's a better decade for movies than the 70's, 80's, and 00's?

Subject: Re: How does the decade of the 90's stack up in terms of movies?

Written By: joeman on 11/26/09 at 11:19 am

Most of the movies that got huge in the 90's early were sequels from movies that came out sometime in the 80's, ie Terminator, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Child's Play etc...

As far as kids movies, Home Alone sequels and Problem Child were good movies.  So was a lot of Sinbad movies....whatever happened to him?

I say the Titanic is up there in defining moment of the 90's movies along with the Matrix.

Can't tell you if the 90's were better than the 80's since I was 4-5 by end of it.  I did watch Short Circuits and Back to the Future, but I'd be bias here since being that young, anything is exciting.

They are a bit better than the 00's though, except for all the comic book movies.  I hated the Fantastic Four movie in 1996(or 4?).

Written By: tv on 11/26/09 at 11:29 am

Most of the movies that got huge in the 90's early were sequels from movies that came out sometime in the 80's, ie Terminator, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Child's Play etc...

As far as kids movies, Home Alone sequels and Problem Child were good movies.  So was a lot of Sinbad movies....whatever happened to him?I say the Titanic is up there in defining moment of the 90's movies along with the Matrix.

Can't tell you if the 90's were better than the 80's since I was 4-5 by end of it.  I did watch Short Circuits and Back to the Future, but I'd be bias here since being that young, anything is exciting.

They are a bit better than the 00's though, except for all the comic book movies.  I hated the Fantastic Four movie in 1996(or 4?).
Sinbad?....last I saw him he was hosting "Showtime At The Apollo" a few years ago I think.

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/09 at 11:55 am

Sinbad?....last I saw him he was hosting "Showtime At The Apollo" a few years ago I think.

He was performing here earlier this month... I wasnt able to attend but I wanted to

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/09 at 11:58 am

The early 90s had alot of Boring british films that were top condenters at the Academy Awards.

I almost fell asleep watching 'The English Patient'

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 11/26/09 at 8:10 pm

The 90s was an excellent decade for films, nearly as good as the 70s. It is remembered as the decade in which independent films really broke into the mainstream. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Malcolm X, Hoop Dreams, Natural Born Killers, Being John Malkovich, Se7en, The Usual Suspects, Leaving Las Vegas, Clerks, and plenty of other indie movies such as those are defining movies and some of the best of the decade. Of course, there was a surplus of mainstream movies such as Goodfellas, The Silence of the Lambs, Shindler's List, American Beauty, Braveheart, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, etc. that got plenty of attention and worthy acclaim.

Also like any other decade (and with anything else), there was plenty of crap. However, the good outweighs the bad. Some of the best movies of this decade probably wouldn't have gained as much attention as they did if it had not been for some of the breakthrough releases of the 90s.

One of the most important of these films was actually released in 1989, though, that being Sex, Lies, and Videotape. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of indie movies that were popular before the 1990s, but in that decade they really took off and took over.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/26/09 at 10:21 pm

I would say that the 90's was the best decade for movies, better than the 2000's (that's not saying much since its mostly remakes now) and slightly better than the 80's. The 90's released some great films that still feel fresh if you watched them now, and not as campy yet funny like the 80's movies such as Ghostbusters. Some of my favorite 90's movies include:

Total Recall
Goodfellas
Home Alone
Defending Your Life
Boyz N The Hood
Terminator 2
Wayne's World
Falling Down
Jurassic Park
Demolition Man
Forrest Gump
Dumb and Dumber (and other Jim Carrey movies)
Billy Madison (and other Adam Sandler movies)
Major Payne
Friday
Independence Day
Fifth Element
Rush Hour
Office Space
Matrix
American Pie

Check for new replies or respond here...