inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People starting to really rip on the 90s NOW?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/23/09 at 5:21 pm

Has anyone noticed this, or are people just getting more vocal about it? The other day I saw a Jerry Springer show (yeah I know ;D) and someone in the audience criticized a guy on stage, going "Hey get outta the 90s with that hair" or something. I've been hearing alot of offhand comments like that over the past year. I wonder if this is because the lingering feeling of the 90s has finally just about died (like with post grunge and hip hop fading away, thank gosh!) or because people are more focused on 80s nostalgia. I know it's a little late for that, but you can't deny with all the more electronic music lately (like Owl City) that they feel back more than ever.

I think the nostalgia clock will be kinda behind schedule now. Come on, people aren't gonna want to bring grunge back when it just is starting to die NOW. Fashion is definitely coming back though, like the more clean cut, shiny version of those flannel shirts. Personally I think that's cool as ever, since I'm more into 80s music and 90s casual fashion. :)

Subject: Re: People starting to really rip on the 90s NOW?

Written By: tv on 12/27/09 at 7:31 pm

Has anyone noticed this, or are people just getting more vocal about it? The other day I saw a Jerry Springer show (yeah I know ;D) and someone in the audience criticized a guy on stage, going "Hey get outta the 90s with that hair" or something. I've been hearing alot of offhand comments like that over the past year. I wonder if this is because the lingering feeling of the 90s has finally just about died (like with post grunge and hip hop fading away, thank gosh!) or because people are more focused on 80s nostalgia. I know it's a little late for that, but you can't deny with all the more electronic music lately (like Owl City) that they feel back more than ever.

I think the nostalgia clock will be kinda behind schedule now. Come on, people aren't gonna want to bring grunge back when it just is starting to die NOW. Fashion is definitely coming back though, like the more clean cut, shiny version of those flannel shirts. Personally I think that's cool as ever, since I'm more into 80s music and 90s casual fashion. :)
Yeah your right post-grunge finally has died. I'm surprised hip-hop as is dead as it is right now.  Who knows Hip-Hop may come back a few years now in a big way. I mean hip-hop really wasn;t that big from 1999-2001 maybe even 2002 but exploded in popularity from 2003-mid 2008 with a little break there in 2006.

Yeah you could be right on people focusing on 80's nostalgia but people could be worried about the economy, jobs, or policies by the Obama administration too I think.

Written By: joeman on 12/27/09 at 11:06 pm

Someone in the another forum I go to says the 90's never really died off in the 2000's, and mainstream corporations are using the same media since 1995. 

I kind of believe that, because the radio station I listen to still plays Nirvana, Beck, Stone Temple Pilots, etc...  even Nu-Metal bands that no one has listened to in 10 years gets played.  The funny thing is, as a modern rock station, it isn't that different from the Classic Rock station that is down here too.  Could it be Clear Channel Communications doing all this?

I don't have Sirius Radio, but I do listen MAX 98.3 here in Tampa.  They play songs from all decades, all genres, all the time.  I was surprised on how many late 80's, early 90's New Jack Swing songs they played.  They also play hits from the late 90's that hasn't been played for a long time.  I think this particular station isn't controlled by Clear Channel.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/28/09 at 8:37 am

90s nostalgia is definately behind schedule compared to the '80s, and I still feel that the '90s are in their "backlash phase". Even as early as 1995, there was a small culture for '80s nostalgia as that was when the site inthe80s.com and the Usenet alt.culture.1980s was created. But inthe90s.com is still the only really good '90s nostalgia website out there, and you simply have to look something up to find what you missed. The thing is that 1994 will feel like another world compared to today (almost no Internet, few cellphones, CDs with some cassettes still available, no DVDs, singers who can still sing, MTV/VH1/Nickelodeon still with substance, cheesy Windows 3.1 graphics, SNES/Genesis was the top video game system. It seems like '80s nostalgists are lumping in the early '90s stuff with a leftover '80s flavor, and '90s music is not old enough yet to be played on oldies stations. Top 40 really disintegrated in the '90s as well as music tastes split in numerous directions as well. 

I consider the '90s the decade that took the entire '00s to get backlashed (unlike the '80s which were gone by '93.) Slowly but surely this decade, the '90s elements seemed to get fewer and fewer. Stuff like CDs just became "outdated" just a year or two ago.

But Mariah Carey just doesn't want to go away it seems, and stuff like 90210 just keeps that '90s feeling hanging on by a thread. I honestly don't see a full-fledged '90s comeback until around 2016 (remember Back To The Future Part II that takes place in 2015 with the Cafe '80s?). If you could remember, the '60s nostalgic movement didn't really take off until around 1986/87 or so, and the '50s nostalgia movement lasted a long time like the '80s are doing (started in 1972 with American Graffiti and the First Oldies station). But considering residual '60s nostalgia exists in places even today, '90s nostalgia will probably last a bit longer (hopefully up until 2040).

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/31/09 at 1:35 pm

Yeah your right post-grunge finally has died. I'm surprised hip-hop as is dead as it is right now.  Who knows Hip-Hop may come back a few years now in a big way. I mean hip-hop really wasn;t that big from 1999-2001 maybe even 2002 but exploded in popularity from 2003-mid 2008 with a little break there in 2006.

Yeah you could be right on people focusing on 80's nostalgia but people could be worried about the economy, jobs, or policies by the Obama administration too I think.

That's true about Obama lol. The political and economic climate now is totally different from the 90s (like that alternative rock "I don't give a crap" attitude lasted up to 2001 in a way). I wonder if that's why hip hop has really faded too. It's weird because Lady Gaga is very urban and I could see hip hop fans digging her music, but she's actually quite 80s influenced, like Rihanna.

Someone in the another forum I go to says the 90's never really died off in the 2000's, and mainstream corporations are using the same media since 1995. 

I kind of believe that, because the radio station I listen to still plays Nirvana, Beck, Stone Temple Pilots, etc...  even Nu-Metal bands that no one has listened to in 10 years gets played.  The funny thing is, as a modern rock station, it isn't that different from the Classic Rock station that is down here too.  Could it be Clear Channel Communications doing all this?

I don't have Sirius Radio, but I do listen MAX 98.3 here in Tampa.  They play songs from all decades, all genres, all the time.  I was surprised on how many late 80's, early 90's New Jack Swing songs they played.  They also play hits from the late 90's that hasn't been played for a long time.  I think this particular station isn't controlled by Clear Channel.

Oh yeah, I think corporate rock is kinda frozen in the mid 90s. I have a theory that's why "new" stations still play Nirvana, Faith No More and Metallica all the time. It's not because it's recent, but just because rock hasn't much evolved since then, so it's sound isn't really dated. It's a shame most of the big name rock bands are some type of boring, post grunge act. Also radio stations are much more restrictive in their format and songs they play ever since Clear Channel came along in '97 I think.

Yelimsexa - I totally agree. :) To add to your post, I think there's also a difference between the age of people who nostalgize each decade. Alot of the hardcore 80s fans were born in like 1967 it seems (the teens and young adults). Oh sure, there's people such as myself who love it from childhood too, but that doesn't seem as common. On the other hand, the huge 90s fans seem to be kids of that time. Like a current 23 year old or something...probably longing for the more carefree days. Not only was the world much less turbulent (on a daily basis) but there were tons of kid crazes then, such as The Lion King. I was a little old for some of those movies and cartoons, but I even dug alot of it in secret, lol.

Do you think it might also because alot of things are becoming "eternally cool"? The Beatles are hot as ever now, like with that Rockband game and the remastered cd's. I think pop culture after 1964 (certainly late 60s) is much more relatable to the present, which is why alot of new generations of kids like it. Therefore it never totally goes away.

From what I can tell 50s nostalgia seemed like a fad almost. Not that it wasn't cool or appreciated, but I think it had next to no ties to the present time during the 80s, so it slipped into being "old old" pretty fast.

Written By: tv on 12/31/09 at 2:25 pm

That's true about Obama lol. The political and economic climate now is totally different from the 90s (like that alternative rock "I don't give a crap" attitude lasted up to 2001 in a way). I wonder if that's why hip hop has really faded too. It's weird because Lady Gaga is very urban and I could see hip hop fans digging her music, but she's actually quite 80s influenced, like Rihanna.

Lady GaGa has also said recently too that she was influenced by 90's dance-pop acts like "Robyn" and "Ace Of Base". I think Lady GaGa is influenced by 80's music too because it says that on her "wikepedia page".

Written By: aja675 on 09/03/16 at 4:42 am

I know this is old AF, but I was brought here by the profile of a member whose birthday is today:

Hell, they were even ripping on the early '00s in 2009. I remember that a classmate was disgusted when I sang Oops!... I Did It Again because that song was apparently "sooo retro." (He said it in a snotty, gay-boy-trying-to-sound-like-a-Valley-girl kinda way.)

Written By: aja675 on 09/04/16 at 7:12 am

I know this is old AF, but I was brought here by the profile of a member whose birthday is today:

Hell, they were even ripping on the early '00s in 2009. I remember that a classmate was disgusted when I sang Oops!... I Did It Again because that song was apparently "sooo retro." (He said it in a snotty, gay-boy-trying-to-sound-like-a-Valley-girl kinda way.)

Funnily enough, he was born two years before me, or 1994.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 11:48 am

That song still sounded a bit modern around 2009. Yeah, it was released during 2000, but I heard that song a lot during the late 2000s.

Written By: aja675 on 09/04/16 at 10:32 pm

That song still sounded a bit modern around 2009. Yeah, it was released during 2000, but I heard that song a lot during the late 2000s.

I guess some people just have a throwaway mentality. 

Written By: aja675 on 09/05/16 at 8:02 am

What was your definition of "old" and "retro'' as a kid?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/05/16 at 8:37 am

What was your definition of "old" and "retro'' as a kid?

Old means like something that could've came from a long time ago, when I was a kid. As somebody who saw mostly 80s/early 90s stuff during the late 2000s/early 2010s, it was like that.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/16 at 2:30 pm

I guess some people just have a throwaway mentality.

What does that mean?

Written By: aja675 on 09/30/16 at 5:32 am

I remember that late '90s/early '00s teen pop was considered too tacky to be nostalgic 7 years ago, and it's a contrast to today where people are softer on it because it's older and more nostalgic now.

Check for new replies or respond here...