inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1995

Written By: Wiz83 on 12/27/09 at 5:33 pm

1995 is my favorite year of the '90s both pop culturally and personally.  It is by far the most memorable year for me and the funnest in recollection, especially the summer.  It is great when compared to 1996/97, one of the worst periods of my life.  I was twelve that year and started junior high in the fall.  I was still watching Nickelodeon and Fox Kids mainly on TV.  My favorite shows were Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Duckman, Beavis and Butthead, X-Men, Spiderman, Batman: TAS, Mad TV.  I love the music of that year and wish I had been just a little bit older so I could've really experienced it.  Some of the good music that year:  Foo Fighters, TLC, Live, Bush, Presidents of the United States of America, Smashing Pumpkins, Alanis Morrisette, etc.  A few of the songs from that year that I remember: "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio, "Waterfalls" by TLC, "Lump" by P.U.S.A, "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" by U2, "Kiss From A Rose" by Seal.   

Subject: Re: 1995

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/28/09 at 5:24 pm

1995 was a sweet year for me too! I enjoyed walking down the hallways in high school, chillin' with my friends. I enjoyed my fave movies such as "Clueless", "Batman Forever", "Empire Records" (1995?), and more. Like you wiz83, I also loved songs like "Gangsta's Paradise", "Kiss From A Rose", "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me".My other fave songs were "Scatman", "All Over You" by Live, "Drowning" by Sponge, Ace of Base's music, and REM's "Bang And Blame". I also remembered watching MTV's "Singled Out" at the time. Back then, I wished I was one of the contestants but I was still an underaged teenager at the time. My bro and I would watch some music vids from our fave rap groups and heavy metal groups. I wished they invented a CD Burner that year so me and my bro would've made our own CD's. Well, we didn't have internet either back then.

Written By: joeman on 12/28/09 at 6:35 pm

I was in 5th Grade at the time.  Met a couple of new friends and we used to hang out at the park playing Basketball.  Most kids at my school at the time were into Green Day and Coolio.  Watched Nickelodeon a lot and Power Rangers.  What's funny was that everyone in my school hated the Power Rangers, but many secretly liked it.  I also watched MTV with my bro, we used to watch Liquid Television and then shows like Maxx, Aeon Flux, and Beavis and Butthead.  My parents hated B&B show and tried to force me not to watch it lol.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/28/09 at 6:58 pm

1995 was sort of a lull year for us--A lot of cool stuff was happening but it wasn't exactly tumultuous or busy. More legal stuff than anything else--My mom in court because of a car accident that occurred in May '95, my dad because of ongoing family court issues with my sister. I remember this is the year my dad reunited or at least began to get closer to my sister Nicole (his daughter, my half sister, she was 15 at the time). Both my parents got new cars this year--My dad a 1989 Ford Bronco II (replacing his 1985 Chevy Astro) and my mom a 1995 Neon (replacing her 80s Audi). We also got our very first computer this year, and it was also the year my sister Kim's tumultous and toxic relationship with her boyfriend Tommy (with whom she had had 3 kids with by 1995) ended, in November. I had my birthday party (which fell on Thanksgiving 1995) at a place called Funtime USA, all my little childhood friends showed up. I graduated from Pre-K in June, my dad got his Bachelor's degree in June '95 as well. I remember as far as movies the movie Balto being popular, as well as Pochahantas--I even had the game on the Sega Genesis--and I remember seeing TV ads for Sonic 3D Blast which was set to be released the next year.
I remember my mom followed the OJ case literally the whole year, and was like obsessed with it--My dad showed total disinterest. I remembemr watching the Court TV segments about it, but I didn't really understand what it was all about, naturally, being 5. I rememeber my mom also really loved the show Judge Judy around this time, it had just come on TV I think, and we used to watch Unsolved Mysteries together.

I also remember my dad, shortly after getting our first computer, bought quite a few good classic games--King's Quest V, which I fell in love with and still do to this day. He also, along with all of his co-workers, got caught up in the Myst craze that swept computer gamers and immediately went out and got the game but alas we never got very far in it--it was so damn complex.

I finally got a Super Nintendo that Christmas, and for my birthday in November I got my first sets of Lego, which I came to love and cherish, along with a whole bunch of other stuff, like those Fisher Price Castle sets.
As far as birthdays--I turned 5, my nephew Pat turned 5, my sister's turned 15, 22 and 23 and my parents both turned 41.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/09 at 5:18 pm

This was a calm, but fun year!

For some reason it wasn't boring, just calm.

I remember hearing the lyrics, "1, 2, 3, 4, get your woman on the floor, gotta gotta get up, get down, gotta gotta get up, get down," on the radio. Didn't show interest in music yet, but remember adult contemporary and acoustic music everywhere on the radio.

The only movie I liked that year was Toy Story.

The only thing on tv I would watch was Fox Kids.

Personal life was mostly being an ordinary 6 year old kid.

Between a 0 and a 10 scale, I would give this year a 7/10.

Written By: 90steen on 12/30/09 at 11:32 pm

1995 was, IMO the best year for music of the 90's, along with 1993. Very laid-back year. I did a lot of maturing in 1995 and decided to grow up, on a more personal level. 1995 was sort of a change in things. We got a computer in our house in 1995, which I was never too keen on using until I was a senior in high school in '97, more cell phones (still pretty rare to have as a personal item), grunge beginning to decline in popularity, and a change in rap music. 1995 was the year I took more of an interest in dance music and started to lose interest in rap. I got my first job in 1995 which started as a volunteer job my school gave me so I could catch up, since I fell behind in my freshman year of high school.

Going through my iTunes, here's some 1995 songs I have on my ipod. The majority of these were probably released in 1994 but I'm going by anything that I remember playing on the radio and on the tv that year.

Back For Good - Take That
Be My Lover - La Bouche
Beautiful Life - Ace of Base
Big Poppa - Notorious B.I.G.
The Bomb - The Bucketheads
Can't You See - Total & Notorious B.I.G.
Everything off of TLC's CrazySexyCool album
Come and Get Your Love - Real McCoy
Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex
Don't Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days) - Monica
Dream About You - Stevie B
Every Day of the Week - JADE
Every Little Thing I Do - Soul For Real
Fantasy - Mariah Carey
Feel Me Flow - Naughty By Nature
Freak Like Me - Adina Howard
Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio
Give it 2 You - Da Brat
He's Mine - Mokenstef
I'll Be There For You - You're All I Need - Mary J. Blige
I Believe - Blessid Union of Souls
I Got 5 On It - Luniz
I Know - Dionne Farris
I Wanna Be Down - Brandy
I Wish - Skee-Lo
In The House of Stone and Light - Martin Page
Live Forever - Oasis
Love Is All Around - DJ Bobo
One More Chance - Stay With Me - Notorious B.I.G.
Run Away - Real McCoy
Scatman - Scatman John
Short D**k Man - 20 Fingers/Gillete
Shy Guy - Diana King
Sugar Hill - AZ
Tell Me - Groove Theory
This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
Till You Do Me Right - After 7/Babyface
Turn The Beat Around - Gloria Estefan
Warning - Notorious B.I.G.
Where I Wanna Be Boy - Miss Jones
You Gotta Be - Des'ree

1995, along with 1996, had a lot of good R&B, eurodance, and rock. Good old school rap was sort of hanging by a thread, IMO.

Written By: nally on 12/30/09 at 11:34 pm

^Those are some great songs in your list. I remember listening to the majority of them on the radio back then.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/31/09 at 10:02 am

This was the year that I got into MST3K and Home Improvement.

Also bands such as Blues Traveler, Seal, Rembrants, and Hootie and the Blowfish.

1995 was a good year for me. Better than 1994, but 1996 is still the best IMO.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/07/10 at 9:32 pm

1995 was a good year for me because that's when I got the hell out of high school, and that's when I became a legal adult, 18!!!!!!

CLASS OF 1995!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/10 at 3:30 am

January 17th 1995 - 7.2 earthquake destroys Kobe Japan (5,372 die)

Written By: nally on 01/17/10 at 11:54 am

January 17th 1995 - 7.2 earthquake destroys Kobe Japan (5,372 die)

I posted a similar message in the "15 Years Ago" thread.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/17/10 at 4:46 pm

This year forever screams "beginning of the Internet age" in my mind as this was the first time I ever heard of this term, plus it's pretty much the year it went mainstream thanks to the AOL commercials that first aired that year. That's why when I collect for nostalgia, I usually stop at 1995 as this is where the "new world" and "old world" seem to divide in feel. Many new fonts, including Trebuchet MS (the one you see on the Windows XP bar) debut, so it seemed like a "futuristic" entrance at the time. Cellphones were rapidly becoming popular as well, (and shrinking), the new cars coming out were getting round, all of these trends that would be fully a part of life by 2000. (Though if you look back today, 1995 (and even in some degree as late as 1999) does feel like another time. Some of the dance music (Like from Real McCoy, La Bouche, and of course the Macarena first came out this year) does feel very kitsch and cheesy compared to today's. (In fact, I feel early-mid '90s dance music feels cheesier today than lots of the '80s dance music as that has matured into a pleasantly retro persona). But if you took a picture of cars in a parking lot around that time, you'll see that most cars are mid-'80s-mid-'90s on a photo, with the occasional late '70s/early '80s mixed in. Plus, newspapers still had lots of black & white ads mixed with the color ones. I just miss the simplicity of the era, and it will only get less simple in time.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/10 at 7:45 pm

One of my favourite "Top 40" songs from 1995 was/is 'You Lose You Gain' by John Bottomley.  Such a beautiful song ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuDlf9JxfcM

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/10 at 12:18 pm

January 20th 1995 - "Love! Valor! Compassion!" opens at Walter Kerr New York City NY for 276 performances

Written By: Ermac_Rules on 01/22/10 at 12:49 pm

1995 was the best year because i graduated from my elementary school. but also it was bad year because of Oklahoma Bombing

Written By: blackrose602 on 01/25/10 at 6:06 pm

1995 was an incredible year for me. I turned 19 that year. I was working at Disney and living at home with my parents (after moving out at 16 and going through some major drama for a few years). We had gotten a PC in 1994 (finally giving up the old reliable Commodore 128), and I remember AOL seriously improved that year as far as content (but it was before the unlimited access of 1996, when it was nearly impossible to actually connect. AVI files were all the rage, though downloading them took massive patience...a friend from work sent me a 30-second clip of the Time Warp, and it took me most of the night to actually download it.

Life was easy then. The economy was booming, I had plenty of money from my $6 an hour job, things were just fun and peaceful. I met my now-ex husband that summer, and we got engaged at Christmas. We spent most of our time playing D&D or Magic: The Gathering, or just hanging out with friends (midnight bowling at the blacklight alley was a particular favorite).

What I wouldn't give to go back to the world before 9/11, before the recession, before all the personal tragedies I had in the 00s. Hard to believe 1995 was 15 years ago!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/10 at 7:31 am

January 30th 1995 - Belgium's TV channel 2 in Flanders goes on the air

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/10 at 1:55 am

January 31st 1995 – President Bill Clinton authorizes a $20 billion loan to Mexico to stabilize its economy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/10 at 2:16 pm

Febuary 5th 1995  Lockheed C-140 Jetstar crashes at Isfahan Persia, 18 killed

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/07/10 at 12:33 am

1995 was the year I found Michael Jackson.  ;D

And also the year I decided that writing was my mission in life. I found my two happiest hobbies in the same year within months of each other!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...