inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will this be THE decade for '90s nostolgia?

Written By: Wiz83 on 01/07/10 at 1:11 pm

It should if you think about it.  Looking back, nostolgia tends to go in twenty year cycles.  The '70s were the decade for '50s nostolgia with Grease, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, etc.  The '80s were about '60s nostolgia with neo-hippies, The Wonder Years, '60s groups like Grateful Dead making a comeback on the charts.  The '90s definately had a lot of '70s nostolgia from what I remember (That '70s Show, Brady Bunch remake).  The '00s had a lot of '80s nostolgia.  So in the next few years '90s nostolgia should really take off.

Subject: Re: Will this be THE decade for '90s nostalgia?

Written By: Midas on 01/07/10 at 2:17 pm

It should if you think about it.  Looking back, nostolgia tends to go in twenty year cycles. 

I tend to agree with this statement.  That being said, as of late I've been hunting down techno dance trax from 1989-1992  8)

Subject: Re: Will this be THE decade for '90s nostolgia?

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/07/10 at 2:48 pm

You know what?  This is so true.  Every decade has a twenty year nostalgia.  Like the last decade, I was going through nostagia with the 80s as a child/tween.  I find myself talking about 80s cartoons, music and all that.  I think that this decade will definitely be a 90s nostalgia.  You watch.  Hell, I'm going through it right now, early 90s that is.  I was a teenager in the early to mid 90s, and I find myself listening to RnB and ip hop songs that came out in 1990-1995, so yes, this decade will be the 90s nostagia decade.

Written By: joeman on 01/07/10 at 6:34 pm

It should if you think about it.  Looking back, nostolgia tends to go in twenty year cycles.  The '70s were the decade for '50s nostolgia with Grease, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, etc.  The '80s were about '60s nostolgia with neo-hippies, The Wonder Years, '60s groups like Grateful Dead making a comeback on the charts.  The '90s definately had a lot of '70s nostolgia from what I remember (That '70s Show, Brady Bunch remake).  The '00s had a lot of '80s nostolgia.  So in the next few years '90s nostolgia should really take off.

Yeah, the teenagers that grew up in the 90's are/will be turning 30 and going to start making an impact in society.  Also, the 70's will be considered nostalgic too, but it would be looked at a grandfather generation much like the 60's was in the 00's.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/07/10 at 7:00 pm

Yeah, the teenagers that grew up in the 90's are/will be turning 30 and going to start making an impact in society.  Also, the 70's will be considered nostalgic too, but it would be looked at a grandfather generation much like the 60's was in the 00's.

That's some scary stuff because I was born in the 70s.  I think those who were teenagers in the early 90s are in their 30s now.  I notice that those who were born in 1975-1978 are going to reminisce the first half of the 90s (1990-mid 1995) more than the second half of the 90s (late 1995-1999) because it was their adolescent years.

Written By: joeman on 01/07/10 at 7:09 pm

Agreed.
That's some scary stuff because I was born in the 70s.  I think those who were teenagers in the early 90s are in their 30s now.  I notice that those who were born in 1975-1978 are going to reminisce the first half of the 90s (1990-mid 1995) more than the second half of the 90s (late 1995-1999) because it was their adolescent years.

True, the second half of the 90's willl be looked back upon by the 80's born generation in the late 00's and the early 10's.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/07/10 at 7:26 pm

I do know that the new Super Sentai (Japanese version of Power Rangers) show "Tensou Sentai Goseiger" will be sort of a throwback to 90s Super Sentai shows. Well, at least the logo looks that way. BTW, Tensou Sentai Goseiger means Angel Taskforce Earth Guardians.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/07/10 at 9:04 pm

Agreed.
True, the second half of the 90's willl be looked back upon by the 80's born generation in the late 00's and the early 10's.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like RnB music from late 1995-1999.  Hell, I love RnB from the whole 90s decade, but if I have my choice on which part of the 90s I liked the most, it's going to be the first half of the 90s (1990-mid 1995) because I was an adolescent in most of these years, and anybody who was born in the second half of the 1970s (1975-1979) will agree with me.  I was born in 1977.  I was in middle school in 1988-mid 1991, and I was in high school in 1991-mid 1995.  I'm going to reminiscence the second half of the 80s (1985-1989) the first half of the 90s (1990-1995) while someone that was born in the 80s will reminiscent the whole 90s decade.  Just like someone that was born in 1965-1967.  They are going to reminisce the latter half of the 70s (1975-1979) and the first half of the 80s (1980-1985) because that was their time period as a preteen/adolescent.  Age do matter when it comes to this.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/08/10 at 8:06 am

The '90s are more "splintered" than the '80s were- 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, and 1999 all have their own vibe to them (Chessy Dance-pop, Grunge, Post-Grunge, Electronica, Teen Pop), so it will be a bit more difficult to define overall. It's just the particular portion of the decade "peak 90s" that has yet to be determined. Things changed swiftly technologically, so it has to be broken down. But I'm guessing it will be 1994-97 centric; basically right when the Internet came out, some late Grunge, the Gangsta rap of the period; lots of trends from the early '90s and late '90s converged during those four years. However, there was lots of nostalgia for different eras in the '90s; so if you open a newspaper/magazine from the '90s, you'll likely see a hodgepodge of styles in design, from timeless classic, to contemporary, to retro; as the '90s had both that modern and postmodern feel at the same time. There was a big shift in style around 1995-96 in terms of design thanks to the advent of the "cyber age".

But most of the aging boomers (and even some early Xers) will disdain at the '90s being nostalgic, being well past their time pop culturally, so the '90s nostalgia market will mostly appeal to people born in the seventies and eighties. But what's so nostalgic about Mariah Carey when she's never really left the scene and seems to be promoting non-stop since 1990? I didn't really catch the '80s bug until 2008, so it could be a while.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/08/10 at 9:09 am

The '90s are more "splintered" than the '80s were- 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, and 1999 all have their own vibe to them (Chessy Dance-pop, Grunge, Post-Grunge, Electronica, Teen Pop), so it will be a bit more difficult to define overall. It's just the particular portion of the decade "peak 90s" that has yet to be determined. Things changed swiftly technologically, so it has to be broken down. But I'm guessing it will be 1994-97 centric; basically right when the Internet came out, some late Grunge, the Gangsta rap of the period; lots of trends from the early '90s and late '90s converged during those four years. However, there was lots of nostalgia for different eras in the '90s; so if you open a newspaper/magazine from the '90s, you'll likely see a hodgepodge of styles in design, from timeless classic, to contemporary, to retro; as the '90s had both that modern and postmodern feel at the same time. There was a big shift in style around 1995-96 in terms of design thanks to the advent of the "cyber age".

But most of the aging boomers (and even some early Xers) will disdain at the '90s being nostalgic, being well past their time pop culturally, so the '90s nostalgia market will mostly appeal to people born in the seventies and eighties. But what's so nostalgic about Mariah Carey when she's never really left the scene and seems to be promoting non-stop since 1990? I didn't really catch the '80s bug until 2008, so it could be a while.

I'm nostalgic about the old school Mariah Carey from the early to mid 90s (1990-mid 1995).  Most 30-somethings are going to feel nostalgic of the latter half of the 80s and the first half of the 90s when they were tweens and teens.  I know I do.  The reason why I feel nostalgic of the mid to late 80s and early to mid 90s is because that was when I was a tween (9-12) and a teen (13-17).  Those were my puberty years.  Those were my adolescent years.  Those were my middle and high school years.  By the time I graduated out of high school in mid 1995(June 20, 1995), I believe that's when the internet was exploding.  The internet wasn't exploding when I was in high school because I graduated BEFORE the internet explosion.  I think the 1995-1996 was the correct time for the internet to explode worldwide.  And you're right about the baby boomers and the very early Gen Xers (1965-1973)  They ARE NOT going to feel nostalgic of the 90s.  I think those who are late Xers like myself (1974-1979) are going to feel nostalgic of the early to mid 90s the most.  The early to mid 90s are strictly for the late Gen Xers (1990-mid 1995) and the mid to late 90s are strictly for the early Gen Yers (1995-1999).  I noticed it.  That's why I tend to like the early to mid 90s better  because that's more of my era than the mid to late 90s which was when teen pop was exploding all over the place.  I was in my 20s when that happened, so I'm too old for that part.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/08/10 at 8:04 pm

I've always been pretty nostalgic about the early to mid 90s as well.  I still enjoy listening to music from my junior high and high school years.  :)

Written By: 90steen on 01/09/10 at 12:48 am

I always thought the nostalgia period would be 1993 - 1997 based. Those 5 years, IMO seem to sum the 90's up the best way. That would be cool if it worked like that since those were my 'teenage years' (not counting 18 and 19)

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/09/10 at 7:12 am

I always thought the nostalgia period would be 1993 - 1997 based. Those 5 years, IMO seem to sum the 90's up the best way. That would be cool if it worked like that since those were my 'teenage years' (not counting 18 and 19)

I'm going to give you a karma for what you just said as far as not including 18 and 19 in the mix because I NEVER included 18 and 19 as TRUE teens because that's when they become legal adults.  And the early 90s still have somewhat of a late 80s feel even though it's technically the 90s.  I feel nostalgic only for the early 90s (1990-1994) when I was 13 to 17.  I also feel nostalgic when I was a preteen in the late 80s because that's when I started junior high school (1988-1991).  I think my nostalgic period will be 1986-1995.

Written By: 90steen on 01/10/10 at 8:20 pm

It's already started with the rebirth of flannel shirts being back in style amongst young people. Of course, they're not worn the way they were back then (grungey, baggy, unbuttoned)

I can see why somebody would be nostalgic for junior high, although junior high was a very tough time for me and I don't really look back on it too often.

Written By: Wiz83 on 01/11/10 at 6:50 pm

If nostolgia goes in twenty year cycles, then '90s nostolgia should progress this way:  the early '90s being the main focus in the early part of this decade, the mid '90s in the middle part, and the late '90s in the latter part.  At least that's how I think it should go.  Personally, I've already been nostolgic for the early-mid '90s for awhile while the late '90s still seem too recent.  Even though I was born in the early '80s and should, according to nicole77, be crazy about the late '90s; that is probably my least favorite part of the decade.  1997 is probably my least favorite year of the '90s from a personal standpoint and 1999 from a pop cultural standpoint.  At the time I remember really disliking what was happening with the music scene.  Boy bands and lame nu metal groups were taking over the airwaves, the arrival of TRL signaled the absoute downfall of MTV as a cool channel.  You also had after the deaths of Biggie and Tupac the takeover of watered-down rappers like Puff Daddy and Ja Rule.  I can remember at the time feeling that I had missed out on the cool part of the decade.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/12/10 at 4:51 am

If nostolgia goes in twenty year cycles, then '90s nostolgia should progress this way:  the early '90s being the main focus in the early part of this decade, the mid '90s in the middle part, and the late '90s in the latter part.  At least that's how I think it should go.  Personally, I've already been nostolgic for the early-mid '90s for awhile while the late '90s still seem too recent.  Even though I was born in the early '80s and should, according to nicole77, be crazy about the late '90s; that is probably my least favorite part of the decade.  1997 is probably my least favorite year of the '90s from a personal standpoint and 1999 from a pop cultural standpoint.  At the time I remember really disliking what was happening with the music scene.  Boy bands and lame nu metal groups were taking over the airwaves, the arrival of TRL signaled the absoute downfall of MTV as a cool channel.  You also had after the deaths of Biggie and Tupac the takeover of watered-down rappers like Puff Daddy and Ja Rule.  I can remember at the time feeling that I had missed out on the cool part of the decade.

I didn't say that you were crazy about the late 90s, but I'm just saying that on average, someone who were born in the early 80s are going to feel nostalgic during their teen years, but I didn't include preteens (9-12).  Yeah, you are right.  You are going to remember the 90s from the beginning to the end.  I still think that on average that since early 80s born were preteens in the early 90s and teenagers in the mid to late 90s, they are more likely going to feel nostagic during that part.  That's what I was saying, but

Written By: Kyle 230 on 01/14/10 at 10:51 am

I can see that coming but maybe late decade.  The early decade the late 1980s will really pick up and we will be seeing a lot of perms and mulllets and brighter, '80s styled clothing.  Think Full House.  This Rick Rollin' thing is a late 1980s throwback thing anyway.  But I can see a '90s throwback in a sense of dance music, more grungy type artists such as creed, comeback of classic shows on Nick and Cartoon Network, gangsta, more old skool rap comeback and the comeback of the Disney Modern Classic era.  Toy Story 3.

Written By: 90sslapbracelet on 02/21/10 at 8:53 am

i actually liked trl and all that bubblegum stuff that was going on but then again i was
a teenage girl. I do however remember listening to a lot of nirvana stuff in the late 90's and it kinda
made me wish i was older in the early 90's to really enjoy grunge. I feel like i've missed out on
that. I was by far too young to attend a nirvana or pearl jam concert in the early 90s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/28/10 at 6:41 pm

I'd say that 90's nostalgia won't really take off until mid decade!  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...