inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1996: A very cynical, negative year?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 02/04/10 at 11:53 pm

I've noticed something-
I think 1996 was for whatever reason a generally negative, dark or cynical year. Look at some of the top movies released that year--Independance Day (tbe world gets almost destroyed by aliens), Twister (about the chaos and destruction of a tornado), 12 Monkeys  (the world gets nearly wiped out by a plague in 1996/1997). Even some of the music from that year was pretty negative--for example, Anti-Christ Superstar (which has a song titled '1996' which begins "Light a candle for the sinners, set the world on fire"), Load (which is a very bluesy, moody album from Metallica), the ironically titled Life is Peaches by Korn, Tool's Aenima. Even the zany or goofier movies of the year dealt with saddening themes--The Frightners, for example, a movie about ghosts/dead people and a serial killer, or Dragonheart, which while lighthearted is about the death of old values, of an old way of life.

Even the lighter children's movies seemed dark that year--for example, the Disney movie of that year,http://The Hunchback of Notre Dame, is definately the darkest and most mature of all the Disney Renaissance movies at least.

Just my two cents.

Subject: Re: 1996: A very cynical, negative year?

Written By: Davester on 02/05/10 at 1:13 am

1996 was a positive year for me, mass entertainment notwithstanding.  Probably the best of out of those ten years.  The first couple of months of the year I was laid-off from work, but I enjoyed it.  Had money in the bank so I carried-on like I was on vacation.  Coming out of the lay-off, around March, still smelling like roses.  I scarcely recall what what going on in pop culture but I liked, and still do, "The Ghost and the Darkness", thriller about the Tsavo lions.  Mike Hammer, in syndication, was shown on A&E every morning...and that's always cause for celebration...

Deep Purple's - Purpendicular, Dave Matthew's Band - Crash, Tonic - Lemon Parade, Sublime - Sublime,  Rush - Test For Echo, Cake - Fashion Nugget,  DJ Shadow - Entroducing.  Not too bad (but not great) on the pop music front, but by 1996 my expectations were low, anyhoo...

Moved into my shiny new apartment.  All was well at work.  Finally reunited with my long estranged sister.  Bought my new pick-up truck and some sick custom wheels.  Nothing cynical or negative about it from my POV...

Written By: joeman on 02/05/10 at 1:44 am

I've noticed something-
I think 1996 was for whatever reason a generally negative, dark or cynical year. Look at some of the top movies released that year--Independance Day (tbe world gets almost destroyed by aliens), Twister (about the chaos and destruction of a tornado), 12 Monkeys  (the world gets nearly wiped out by a plague in 1996/1997). Even some of the music from that year was pretty negative--for example, Anti-Christ Superstar (which has a song titled '1996' which begins "Light a candle for the sinners, set the world on fire"), Load (which is a very bluesy, moody album from Metallica), the ironically titled Life is Peaches by Korn, Tool's Aenima. Even the zany or goofier movies of the year dealt with saddening themes--The Frightners, for example, a movie about ghosts/dead people and a serial killer, or Dragonheart, which while lighthearted is about the death of old values, of an old way of life.
Even the lighter children's movies seemed dark that year--for example, the Disney movie of that year,http://The Hunchback of Notre Dame, is definately the darkest and most mature of all the Disney Renaissance movies at least.

Just my two cents.

1996, cynical?  Honestly dude, the entire 90's, except for 1990 and 1991, was about cynicalism.  MTV motto, which was said by teenagers who watched it, was "We are MTV, we don't care as much as you don't" or something along those lines.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/09/10 at 7:12 pm

Economically, it was a very bright year with stocks continuing to represent record highs, and the dot-com boom was just beginning. Clinton got re-elected, and television continued to have fun, good shows. Only 1990-92 strike me as "Cynical" as far as the '90s go. I actually think of 1996 (along with 1997) as the lightest of the decade. Sure, there was lots of hip hop, but lots of other good music as well. It was just that times were so good, that pop culture about "negative stuff" were a nice change of pace from the naiveness of the era. Unfortunately in the 2000s, the turbulence and cynical music/movies didn't fare well with me.

Written By: joeman on 02/10/10 at 3:45 pm

Economically, it was a very bright year with stocks continuing to represent record highs, and the dot-com boom was just beginning. Clinton got re-elected, and television continued to have fun, good shows. Only 1990-92 strike me as "Cynical" as far as the '90s go. I actually think of 1996 (along with 1997) as the lightest of the decade. Sure, there was lots of hip hop, but lots of other good music as well. It was just that times were so good, that pop culture about "negative stuff" were a nice change of pace from the naiveness of the era. Unfortunately in the 2000s, the turbulence and cynical music/movies didn't fare well with me.

I disagree here, though you may be referring to the mood of society as cynical around 1990-1992.  Compare the music from the 90's to say, the 70's, then you got a really big, negative, cynical sounding songs coming out in the 90s.

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/10 at 6:43 pm

I don't really remember too much of 1996, not sure whether it's selective memory loss as my life changed forever then but I never got a cynical vibe from that year. Ever since 2001, media-wise, the film industry has gone crackers with the 'end of the world' theme/permanent change (28 Days Later, Day After Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, Children of Men, Cloverfield, Wall-E, 2012...). I think this is because the media are responding to the genuine fear that is out there regarding the Earth's future.

I guess what I am trying to say is films are films and if a certain type are bunched together in a year then so be it. It is quite common for a theme to run through a year but I'm willing to believe that is more to do with fads than anything else (like 3D seems to be the fad for this year). I think 1996 and 1997 were having a space theme (Independence Day, Mars Attacks!, The Arrival, Star Trek: First Contact, Space Jam, Space Truckers then heading into 1997 with Men in Black, Starship Troopers...).

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 02/10/10 at 8:12 pm

It's funny that this thread comes up, because literally a few days ago I was thinking to myself about how it was possibly that 1996 was the greatest year in America's history. :D

Written By: BillfromMaspeth on 02/12/10 at 12:22 pm

EVERY year from the 1990's was very cynical and negative.

Written By: 90steen on 02/13/10 at 10:49 pm

I've always sort of thought 1993 was a cynical and negative year.

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/26/10 at 9:24 pm

I would say most of the decade was cynical except for maybe 1990 (80s hangover) and the last two years ('98 and '99). Yes '96 was dark but I think '94 would win first prize.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 02/27/10 at 9:31 pm

I don't think "dark" is the right term for the 90s, as I don't think they were really that depressing, I always thought they were just more sarcastic and cynical.

I agree, though, 1994 was about the peak year for this whole trend, personified in Reality Bites. Besides, in 1996 not only was the economy much better but the grunge thing was on its last legs at that point, so if anyone was still "cynical", it was probably just because it was cool, not cause people genuinely felt that way.

Written By: joeman on 02/28/10 at 11:10 am

I don't think "dark" is the right term for the 90s, as I don't think they were really that depressing, I always thought they were just more sarcastic and cynical.

I agree, though, 1994 was about the peak year for this whole trend, personified in Reality Bites. Besides, in 1996 not only was the economy much better but the grunge thing was on its last legs at that point, so if anyone was still "cynical", it was probably just because it was cool, not cause people genuinely felt that way.

If you ask me, the fad of being "cynical" stopped at 9/11, however we became legitimately cynical a few years afterwards.  Though this goes back to our discussion in the 00's forum :).

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 02/28/10 at 1:47 pm

If you ask me, the fad of being "cynical" stopped at 9/11, however we became legitimately cynical a few years afterwards.  Though this goes back to our discussion in the 00's forum :).

Really? I thought that the cynical fad stopped around 97, 98 latest. During the late 90s-early 00s economic boom with all the cheery bubblegum pop music and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? I don't know, but from what I remember the time period from then up to 9/11 was the happiest society-wise in my life.

Written By: joeman on 02/28/10 at 2:18 pm

Well, there wasn't just bubblegum pop music in the late 90's.

Remember, Columbine 1999 happened, and a lot of parents were blaming video games, Marilyn Manson, etc...  People freaked out which led to lockdown in most schools.

Also, the fashion then, though it was popular in the mid-90's, was the baggy pants, which was basically originated by cellmates in prison when they are about to be taken up.  Granted, the music scene was getting happier, but the grunge-inspired music still existed at the time, though I don't think it died off until 2002.

Written By: Davester on 02/28/10 at 2:55 pm

Yeah, cynicism did become fashionable for awhile, didn't it?  Bloody posers.  It's unfortunate for those who really are genuinely cynical...a finely honed sense of cynicism is somehow cheapened...

Seriously, is nothing sacred anymore..?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/28/10 at 6:38 pm

What's strange is that the 90's is overall a very positive time to live!

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/02/10 at 9:41 am

Weather wise, 1996 was pretty good. In January there were back to back snowfalls, with one of them being a blizzard. Hurricane season that year was also spectacular. The winter of 96/97 however was less than spectacular.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/10 at 12:39 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_800

One major news event of that year was the crash of TWA Flight 800 off Long Island on July 17.  That disaster killed all 230 people on board.  It was one of those days that was hot and sticky at 8:00 a.m.  I distinctly remember waking up on my futon in that crummy apartment I was subletting that summer and hearing the news on the radio.

Perhaps heralding the 9/11 suspicions to come, there was all kinds of mystery and speculations as to why the plane exploded in mid-air 12 minutes after take off.  The most cynical among us pointed the finger at the U.S. military performing a missile test gone wrong...or perhaps gone just as they planned!
:o

Written By: 90'sslapbracelet on 03/02/10 at 1:20 pm

96 was a very fun year for me. I was 14. I got to meet a lot of new people.
i also had my first bf, and i got dumped for the first time by the same person lol

Written By: tv on 03/03/10 at 2:31 pm

1996 I think of it as the middle year between the teen-pop, Puff Daddy type rap and the grunge era. It was a caryover from 1995 musically mostly but you could sort of see the sunny late 90's start to come up if you think about it (you know the 1999 teen-pop stuff.)

Written By: 90steen on 03/03/10 at 8:15 pm

1996 I think of it as the middle year between the teen-pop, Puff Daddy type rap and the grunge era. It was a caryover from 1995 musically mostly but you could sort of see the sunny late 90's start to come up if you think about it (you know the 1999 teen-pop stuff.)

I think 1996 is the year that Puff Daddy and Mase came out, or when I remember first hearing it and it did sort of have a new sound to it, but as far as teen-pop goes, I don't remember it until the following year?

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/03/10 at 11:48 pm

I think 1996 is the year that Puff Daddy and Mase came out, or when I remember first hearing it and it did sort of have a new sound to it, but as far as teen-pop goes, I don't remember it until the following year?

From what I remember(this was when I was in 1st-2nd grade) Teen pop really hit it big the next year.

Written By: tv on 03/04/10 at 6:26 pm

No Puffy became big in 1997 not 1996. Mase became big in early 1998 maybe with the hit "Feels So Good" I remember 1 kid each in my grade in my senior year in High School 1 didnl't like Puffy and the other one didn't like Mase. I guess they were more into rap in the mid 90's(think 2Pac) rather than the pop-rap stuff of Puffy and Mase.

Written By: joeman on 03/04/10 at 8:56 pm

Spice Girls and Hanson were really popular in 1997, but imo it targeted people a few years younger than I was(my sister is a year younger, and was into Teen Pop).  I did like some songs from the Spice Girls, but I wasn't really into them....exception for Ginger Spice and her large boobs.

Check for new replies or respond here...