inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Instant messages in AOL before AIM and the Buddy List

Written By: Samwise on 02/21/10 at 3:27 pm

Does anyone remember IM from like '94-'96, before the Buddy List feature was added? Did it look or work substantially differently? How did you know if somebody else was online to IM? And does anyone have any screenshots? (I know that's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.)

Subject: Re: Instant messages in AOL before AIM and the Buddy List

Written By: Eric on 02/25/10 at 5:51 am

I was on AOL and Prodigy pre-internet.  The message boards were the craze back then.  Prodigy's IM was based on their chat and you would have to go into a chat room to use it, but you could continue using it after you left the chat room.  AOL is almost exactly the same.  You log on and the buddy list would pop up, but you could only add other members from AOL.  

Oddly, I still think those services were a lot better than the services of today, before everything became html based.  Their software stored and ran from your computer so speed was not much of an issue.  A 2400 baud modem could download text faster than DSL could load a Web based application.  

Check for new replies or respond here...