inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s Pop: Alternative or R&B and that's IT

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 02/23/10 at 3:12 pm

Though I wasn't really around to appreciate most of the music that was played on the radio in the 90s, it seems to me that during the 1993-1996 era that for the most part, the songs were either alternative rock some sort of knock off, and if not that then they were R&B or a similar genre. For example:

Alternative: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Gin Blossoms, Smashing Pumpkins, Beck, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul
Pop but kind of Alt-sounding: Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Hootie and the Blowfish, Alanis Morisette, Counting Crows
R&B: Boyz II Men, TLC, Mariah Carey, En Vogue, Babyface, Seal, R. Kelly, Janet Jackson, Toni Braxton, Whitney Houston, Montell Jordan, Celine Dion (sort of R&B), Immature, All-4-One

Of course, there were the people like Ace of Base, Lisa Loeb, Real McCoy who didn't really fit into either of these genres, and the 80s hold-overs such as Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, and Bryan Adams who had a few hits in these years. But overall, it seems to me that the music that was popular at the time was largely focused on these two genres, or should I saw that these two genres were EXTREMELY dominant.

For those of you who were there, is this correct?

Edit: Also, of course, there was Gangsta Rap and it's influences (Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Coolio), though I still feel that the other two were more popular, at least from what I've seen.

Subject: Re: 90s Pop: Alternative or R&B and that's IT

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/23/10 at 3:55 pm

Hi

Yep, for the most part that's correct. I remember all the songs that were popular back then when the radio would play the top 40. Oh and in 96 there was also the Dance, Euro-dance became very popular.

Written By: tv on 02/23/10 at 6:22 pm

I wpuld say Alternative, R&B, Gangsta Rap, and Dance music were all popular in that era. Dance Music was pretty popular in 1994-1995.

Written By: joeman on 02/23/10 at 6:46 pm

A lot of it has to do with MTV promoting alternative rock and pop music at that time.  There was internet in 1995/1996, but bands didn't really promote their material until Web 2.0 came out in 2004.  Also during that period, Clear Channel didn't take over the radio waves, so songs were requested by the viewers themselves.

In addition, those who didn't have Cable, like me, watched the BOX.  People can call in and pay money to watch a music video getting aired, which was a neat thing if you are into certain bands.  I could have sworn in the mid-90's, Tool and NIN was being played constantly, along with Eazy E and Tupac.

Check for new replies or respond here...