inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's stars that didn't make it big in the 00's

Written By: joeman on 03/11/10 at 8:55 am

Here are the list of movie stars that got big in the 90's but wasn't as much in the 00's:

Sinbad

Pauly Shore

Jaleel White(guy who played Steve Urkel)

Bruce Campbell(luckly he is in Burn Notice)

Christian Slater(I know he has a tv show but people were saying he was going to be as big as Jack Nicholson)

David Spade

Keanu Reeves

Carrot Top

David Arquette

David Shwimmer(sp?)

Subject: Re: 90's stars that didn't make it big in the 00's

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/11/10 at 9:03 am

Currently David Arquette, is co executive produce on the show, Cougar Town.

Written By: joeman on 03/11/10 at 9:08 am

Currently David Arquette, is co executive produce on the show, Cougar Town.

Interesting, though I'm not surprised considering his wife is the star on the show :).

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/10 at 11:37 am

What's this about Keanu Reeves?

Most of the films he has starred in during 2000-2009 were all hits

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/10 at 11:40 am

One star that didn't really make it BIG in the 00s was Tom Cochrane.  He did have a few hits in the 2000s, but nowhere near the consecutive run he had in the 90s (or even the 80s)

Written By: tv on 03/11/10 at 1:14 pm

1.) Alicia Silverstone a teen queen in the 90's wasn;t big in the 00's

2.) Wesley Snipes( I think he is trying to make a comeback though.)

3.) Martin Lawrence(Do we even here about him anymore?)

4.) Rosie Perez(she was big in the first part of the 90's (1990-1993/1994)than faded out.)

Written By: tv on 03/11/10 at 1:17 pm

Here are the list of movie stars that got big in the 90's but wasn't as much in the 00's:

Sinbad

Pauly Shore

Jaleel White(guy who played Steve Urkel)

Bruce Campbell(luckly he is in Burn Notice)

Christian Slater(I know he has a tv show but people were saying he was going to be as big as Jack Nicholson)

David Spade

Keanu Reeves

Carrot Top

David Arquette

David Shwimmer(sp?)

David Spade-He is on the Tv shpw "Rules of Engagement" I think.

Sinbad-he's sort of late 80's/early 90's.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 03/11/10 at 3:10 pm

When I saw this, I instantly thought "Alicia Silverstone".

Alanis Morissette
Winona Ryder
Mara Wilson
Embeth Davidtz
Jason Alexander
Michael Richards
Hootie and the Blowfish
Jewel
Jim Carey
Ethan Hawke (though he appears to be making a comeback)
Joe Pesci

Written By: tv on 03/11/10 at 4:33 pm

Alanis Morissette
Winona Ryder
Mara Wilson
Embeth Davidtz
Jason Alexander
Michael Richards
Hootie and the Blowfish
Jewel
Jim Carey
Joe Pesci
Yeah I was gonna put "Wynonna Ryder" on my list too. She went to independent films after the infamous shoplifiting incident in the mid 2000's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/11/10 at 6:57 pm

Alanis Morissette
Winona Ryder
Mara Wilson
Embeth Davidtz
Jason Alexander
Michael Richards
Hootie and the Blowfish
Jewel
Jim Carey
Joe Pesci

I have to call fowl on Jim and Alanis, they were still pretty bin the 00's.  Plus the lead singer of Hootie and The Blowfish, has a succesful country music carrer, now.

Written By: Zeb on 03/12/10 at 9:12 pm

Winona Ryder
Joe Pesci

Yeah, what is Winona Ryder up to these days anyhow?  I haven’t seen her in a movie for about ten years or so.  I think Joe Pesci has just retired he was in The Good Sheppard but that’s the last I’ve seen of him.

Written By: Frank on 03/12/10 at 11:43 pm

Meg Ryan

Written By: Zeb on 03/13/10 at 7:39 pm

Meg Ryan

Back in the 90s ,especially 1993-1999, she was starring two or three blockbusters a year.  She has been in a few movies in the last decade but no where near the "it-girl?" status she once enjoyed. 

Written By: tv on 03/14/10 at 11:33 am

Yeah, what is Winona Ryder up to these days anyhow?  I haven’t seen her in a movie for about ten years or so.   I think Joe Pesci has just retired he was in The Good Sheppard but that’s the last I’ve seen of him.
Wynonna Ryder-as I said earlier she does independent films now and she stays out of any hollywood hot spots because she doesn't like the swarm of the papparzi these days. She stepped decided this career move after the shoplifting incident that she had in the mid 2000's.

Written By: 1986er on 03/14/10 at 7:02 pm

The first name to pop into my head was Alicia Silverstone.  She was pretty much the Molly Ringwald of the 90's

And someone else here nailed it as well with Alanis Morissette and Winona Ryder.

There's also Helen Hunt, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Claire Danes, Macaulay Culkin...

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/10 at 8:14 am

Yeah, what is Winona Ryder up to these days anyhow?  I haven’t seen her in a movie for about ten years or so.   I think Joe Pesci has just retired he was in The Good Sheppard but that’s the last I’ve seen of him.

Winona Ryder actually was in the 2009 Star Trek film. She played Spock's mother.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 04/13/10 at 2:24 pm

A few already mentioned....

Alicia Silverstone- Was just massive for a few years. Hopefully she saved most of that money. Just one of those actors that drops off the map and regardless of what they do from that point on, no one really cares.

Winona Ryder- Probably the most talented generation X actress. Loaded with talent, and probably should have went on to have a Julia Roberts type career. Instead, like normal people, had some personal issues and her career never fully recovered from it. If any actress from the 80s-90s deserves a major comeback, it's her.

Not mentioned....

Mira Sorvino- Won an Oscar, was a star for about five seconds, then quickly faded into obscurity.

Danica Mckellar- Could have spent her teens/20s playing the girl next door, but became a math whiz instead. Started acting again, but in B movies/made for tv movies.

Larisa Oleynik- Out of all those teen stars everywhere in the mid 90s, probably had the most potential to transition into an adult actress with a mainstream career. Didn't happen for some reason.

Embeth DavidtzGreat actress, but could she actually be classified as a star?

Written By: tv on 04/13/10 at 5:10 pm

A few already mentioned....

Alicia Silverstone- Was just massive for a few years. Hopefully she saved most of that money. Just one of those actors that drops off the map and regardless of what they do from that point on, no one really cares.

Winona Ryder- Probably the most talented generation X actress. Loaded with talent, and probably should have went on to have a Julia Roberts type career. Instead, like normal people, had some personal issues and her career never fully recovered from it. If any actress from the 80s-90s deserves a major comeback, it's her.

Not mentioned....

Mira Sorvino- Won an Oscar, was a star for about five seconds, then quickly faded into obscurity.

Danica Mckellar- Could have spent her teens/20s playing the girl next door, but became a math whiz instead. Started acting again, but in B movies/made for tv movies.

Larisa Oleynik- Out of all those teen stars everywhere in the mid 90s, probably had the most potential to transition into an adult actress with a mainstream career. Didn't happen for some reason.
Great actress, but could she actually be classified as a star?
Danica McKeller-Yeah I could have pictured her playing somebody's girlfriend on the 90's sitcoms like "Boy Meets World" or "Step By Step".

Alicia Silverstone-I think she had too much success too fast thus she just faded out.

Written By: jackie on 05/18/10 at 9:39 am

Juliette Lewis..she was in alotta movies in the 90's u don't see her as much..Michelle Pfeiffer ..Fred Savage..Macaulay Cullkin.. Jim Carrey.. theres also alotta older actors that have died out like harrison ford..billy crystal..sharon stone..

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/21/10 at 6:25 am

Toni Braxton- her latest album only sold 50,000 in it's first week and less than 20,000 this week.

Written By: tv on 05/22/10 at 4:19 pm

Toni Braxton- her latest album only sold 50,000 in it's first week and less than 20,000 this week.

Yeah her music career really died in the 00's. That whole Diane Warren ballad style diva stuff was passe in the 00's except for maybe 2001-early 2003.

Check for new replies or respond here...