inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did kids in the 90s really play with POGs?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/12/10 at 9:11 am

I was in college when that fad hit, so I was not in the target audience.  It always seemed very heavily marketed, but none of the kids I met at the time seemed all the interested in it. I know it might have been with the kids that grew up with it before Corporate America "found it".

Subject: Re: Did kids in the 90s really play with POGs?

Written By: nally on 03/12/10 at 9:52 am

I remember the fad very well. Was probably around the middle part of the decade, 1994, when those things were "in." I was in my teens, making the transition from junior high to high school, so I never played with 'em myself.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/12/10 at 2:34 pm

My nieces and nephews loved the things.  I think they were more interested in collecting them than actually playing with them though. 

Written By: karen on 03/12/10 at 5:03 pm

I did see kids playing with POGS.  I was a scout leader and we ended up banning them from meetings.  I know that a few schools banned them as well.  Mainly because of the problems that happened after an expensive/beloved POG was lost during a game.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/12/10 at 7:57 pm

I know that I did!

Really badly too!

;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/13/10 at 1:14 am

They look what my kids played with in the late 90's...they called them Tazos.

Written By: joeman on 03/13/10 at 8:42 am

In my area, we collected pogs but hardly played them.  The only time I recall playing them is when I had those heavier metal slammers and just slam them for fun. 

Remember Alf?  He's back, in pog form.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/14/10 at 1:07 pm

I was in my teens when they were a fad in my area so I didn't play with them but I did collect a few just for the unique designs on some of them.

Written By: nupur on 03/15/10 at 12:47 pm

I think they were more interested in collecting them than actually playing with them though. 

i collected pogs, because i had no idea that how to play the game lol. i had a green tube filled with them, and i took them out every once in a while to admire the pictures on 'em  :D

Written By: sonikuu on 03/16/10 at 4:30 am

I was too young for pogs in their prime.  My earliest memories of pogs were from 1997.  I'm sure kids at my school played with them before that, but you can't blame me for not remembering everything from elementary school.  By 1997, no one at my school actually called them pogs and they just became those "things" that people had a few of, but no one really did anything with them.  Ah, the inevitable curse of a fad losing popularity.  I actually never knew what pogs were called until years later because I don't recall anyone actually calling them that by name.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/16/10 at 9:56 am

Now may be a good time to purchase POGs on sites like eBay as the people who enjoyed these in their prime (like myself) are now well into their 20s, and once they completely are settled down with their life, values may start to rebound (though I doubt the commons will even reach 10 cents a piece when they were new), though certain rarities/pop cultural touchstones, such as the Power Rangers (which, coincidentally, peaked around the same time as the POGs) may be worth a bit more; look at where Pet Rocks (to me the '70s version of POGs that I've seen); an original is now bidding for $32 on eBay with still over a day left. I'd say the best POGs to keep are those with a copyright on them as they are official; in the later part of the POG craze, custom milkcap maker could make any item pressable into a milkcap.

I'd say the metal slammers are potentially your best investments to these POGs, now that this fad is 15 years past, it will increasingly become vintage in status. All POGs are basically a form of art and picture frames consisting of a collage of POGs could be neat projects.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/16/10 at 1:44 pm

Yeah I played with them around 1995 and 1996 when I was 8/9 years old. I still may have them somewhere.

Written By: submadreamgun on 05/12/10 at 11:13 pm

yeah... they did!  whenever I visit my parents house to this day, the ceiling in the back room downstairs is covered with about 10 thousand pogs stuck with super glue to the ceiling.  The story goes that my little brother was so anxious to get upstairs Christmas morning for his presents that all he could do to remain sane in his bedroom, waiting for the dawn, was to superglue pogs to the ceiling, one by one...

Written By: jackie on 05/18/10 at 8:58 am

wow totally forgot about them..i was 13-14 when they came out..i also grew up in nyc so pogs were in the category of  magic in the later 90's..it wasnt something u were proud of if u collected them...i forget how u play them but i remember someone once trying to explain the game to me and it didn't seem that fun..

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 06/19/10 at 8:21 pm

i collected pogs, because i had no idea that how to play the game lol. i had a green tube filled with them, and i took them out every once in a while to admire the pictures on 'em  :D

That was pretty much me.  I had 2 or 3 tubes full, but never actually played them.    It was all about collecting the coolest looking pogs!  lol

Check for new replies or respond here...