inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Biggest Rock groups of the mid-late 90s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/03/10 at 4:10 pm

It's generally well known what the biggest rock bands of the early '90s (1990-1993) were: Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Pantera, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc....
But what were the biggest acts in Rock in the post Nirvana and Guns N' Roses era (1994-1998)?

Subject: Re: Biggest Rock groups of the mid-late 90s?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/10 at 4:42 pm

Nine Inch Nails?  Red Hot Chili Peppers? Green Day?

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 04/03/10 at 8:11 pm

I'd actually classify those bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc) as popular bands of the EARLY-MID 90s (91-95/6). In the really early 90s, it was still overproduced hair metal.

If you're referring to the 96-99 period, there actually weren't many good rock bands. I'd say Marilyn Manson, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, The Wallflowers, Oasis, and Radiohead.

Then in 1999 nu-metal became big.

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/10 at 9:10 pm

Tragically Hip.  They were not well seen outside of Canada, but within, they were huge, and escaping their songs on the radio was almost not an option.

In the UK, it was Manic Street Preachers.  They unfortunately did not emulate well in North America

Written By: joeman on 04/06/10 at 8:32 pm

It's generally well known what the biggest rock bands of the early '90s (1990-1993) were: Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Pantera, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc....
But what were the biggest acts in Rock in the post Nirvana and Guns N' Roses era (1994-1998)?

Keep in mind, before 1992, hair metal was still big, so that is in it's own era.

Metallica was still big in the later 90's, though the hardcore fans hated their musical turn.  Load and Reload spotted with a couple of hits.

There was many bands that aren't well known today that I liked in the mid-late 90s.  For example, Our Lady Peace, Everclear, Tonic, Shiek Duncan, New Radicals, Jamiroquai, Garbage, etc..because it is a damn shame since I watched their music videos all the time.

There was also a lot of girl rock too, like Sheryl Crow, Fiona Apple, Jewel, Alanis Morissette, Tori Amos, that one chick that sang that song "I'm a b**ch" to name a few.  I think the 90's had about as much women rockers as did in the 80s.

Rolling Stones and Aerosmith made great hits in the later 90's too.  We can't forget that Liv Tyler's father is the lead singer of Aerosmith, and he provided a good song soundtrack for the crappy movie she starred in, Armageddon.

Red Hot Chili Peppers have been making hits throughout the decade also, along with Rage Against the Machine.  Rock and Heavy Metal got funkier and which in return bands started experimenting new ways of recording the bass.  Evantually Korn got an original sound which spawned off a lot of clones(hence the nu-metal movement in the late 90's, though Korn has been popular since 1996).

Written By: tv on 05/09/10 at 4:37 pm

"Creed" unfortunately was probably the biggest rock band in the US for the 1997-2002 period.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/10/10 at 6:43 pm

Creed, the biggest, most uneven rock group, to come out the 90's.

Also, Live was pretty big, once.

Written By: tv on 05/11/10 at 4:57 pm

Creed, the biggest, most uneven rock group, to come out the 90's.

Also, Live was pretty big, once.
Yeah I think they were big in late 1994-mid 1995 when their "Throwing Copper" album went 7X platinum.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/04/10 at 11:30 am

bump

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/05/10 at 11:50 am

Wasn't grunge rock almost like the new wave of the 90's? Whenever I see an 80's retrospect, or 80's period piece comedy trailer, new wave sounding music is usually what is played. Grunge rock is probably the first kind of music most people think of, when the 90's comes up.

Written By: popguru85 on 10/21/10 at 3:51 pm

Nine Inch Nails
Marily Manson
Hanson (they did play instuments)
Metallica
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Smashing Pumpkins
The Offspring (everyone in school had the CD with Pretty fly for a White Guy)
Korn
Limp Bizkit
Blink 182
Not really "Bands" but...
NSYNC
Backstreet Boys
Spice Girls
everything else just spills into the 2000's 

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/10 at 7:29 pm

Nothing screams rock like Backstreet Boys

Written By: Quadratic on 10/25/10 at 9:03 pm

Specifically for 1994-1998? I would toss into the mix:

Powerman 5000
Kid Rock
Weezer
Godsmack
Foo Fighters
Collective Soul
3 Doors Down
Audioslave
Candlebox

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/26/10 at 5:26 am

Does Hootie and the Blowfish count?

Because between 1994 and 1996, they were one of the biggest bands in the 90's.

After '96...They fizzled-out and now Darius Rucker has a solo career.

Check for new replies or respond here...