inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's Ska Movement

Written By: insidious rex on 04/28/10 at 9:12 pm

So the nineties are a blur to me (born in 93), but I remember a lot of great ska bands coming out of the nineties like Reel Big Fish and Catch22 while they still had Tomas Kalnoky as lead singer. Just wanna hear what you have to say.

Subject: Re: 90's Ska Movement

Written By: Paul on 04/29/10 at 10:31 am

I preferred the British ska revival from the early 80s, but that's just me...

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/10 at 12:24 pm

I couldn't even begin to name a Ska artist from the 90s.  All the ones that were popular were in the early 80s:  Bad Manners, The Selecter, Madness, The English Beat and The Specials, among others. 

Written By: tv on 04/30/10 at 5:06 pm

I couldn't even begin to name a Ska artist from the 90s.  All the ones that were popular were in the early 80s:  Bad Manners, The Selecter, Madness, The English Beat and The Specials, among others. 
What about "Mighty Mighty Bosstones"?

Written By: JTCool on 04/30/10 at 5:20 pm

I thought No Doubt's first album was supposed to be considered a ska revival of sorts? I wouldn't exactly know since I would have only been like 3 when that album came out.

Written By: joeman on 05/01/10 at 8:32 am

Bands like 311 and Sublime started in the 90s and I believe they are referred as 'ska'.

Written By: nally on 05/02/10 at 6:28 pm

Bands like 311 and Sublime started in the 90s and I believe they are referred as 'ska'.

Yeah, their music seems to fall into that category.

What about "Mighty Mighty Bosstones"?

I remember them, and their big hit "The Impression That I Get", from 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xol2MM_PCTU

Written By: Tony Dark on 05/24/10 at 12:46 am

Some really good sounds came out in the nineties tethered to the ska sound.  Many of these were hybridized and included influences from hip-hop, metal genres, latin music, punk, and other such amalgamations.  From New York (Moon Ska) to California (Asian Man Records)  and all points north and south (in the U.S. and Canada) ska experienced a revival of sorts that many considered "third wave".  While this movement began in the early eighties, many of the albums and bands were prevalent or were upstarts in the nineties.  Here are a couple of examples from my memory to get you started:

Less Than Jake, Skankin' Pickle, The Toasters, The Vodoo Glow Skulls, Sgt. Skagnetti, Less Than Jake, The Pietasters, Blue Meanies, Hepcat, Mustard Plug, Springheeled Jack USA, The Slackers, Mephiskaphales, Skavoovie and the Epitones, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Buck-o-Nine, Let's Go Bowling, The Planet Smashers, Save Ferris, Five Iron Frenzy, Stubborn All Stars, Big D and the Kids Table, The Uptones, Rancid, Mu330, The Allstonians, The Ziggens, Bim Skala Bim, The Aquabats, and The Slackers to name a few lesser known artists, besides the likes of No Doubt, Sublime and Reel Big Fish.

Some really good music can be found in there, seems to have fallen to the wayside for the most part. It was a blast going to the live shows way back when, though.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/24/10 at 6:52 pm

Some really good sounds came out in the nineties tethered to the ska sound.  Many of these were hybridized and included influences from hip-hop, metal genres, latin music, punk, and other such amalgamations.  From New York (Moon Ska) to California (Asian Man Records)  and all points north and south (in the U.S. and Canada) ska experienced a revival of sorts that many considered "third wave".  While this movement began in the early eighties, many of the albums and bands were prevalent or were upstarts in the nineties.  Here are a couple of examples from my memory to get you started:

Less Than Jake, Skankin' Pickle, The Toasters, The Vodoo Glow Skulls, Sgt. Skagnetti, Less Than Jake, The Pietasters, Blue Meanies, Hepcat, Mustard Plug, Springheeled Jack USA, The Slackers, Mephiskaphales, Skavoovie and the Epitones, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Buck-o-Nine, Let's Go Bowling, The Planet Smashers, Save Ferris, Five Iron Frenzy, Stubborn All Stars, Big D and the Kids Table, The Uptones, Rancid, Mu330, The Allstonians, The Ziggens, Bim Skala Bim, The Aquabats, and The Slackers to name a few lesser known artists, besides the likes of No Doubt, Sublime and Reel Big Fish.

Some really good music can be found in there, seems to have fallen to the wayside for the most part. It was a blast going to the live shows way back when, though.

I agree, ska was good clean fun.  :D

Written By: joeman on 05/24/10 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, their music seems to fall into that category.

I remember them, and their big hit "The Impression That I Get", from 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xol2MM_PCTU

Wasn't that the soundtrack of the Drew Carey Show by any chance? lol my sister loved that show so much.

Written By: nally on 05/24/10 at 10:25 pm

Wasn't that the soundtrack of the Drew Carey Show by any chance? lol my sister loved that show so much.

Uhm, not that I'm aware of.

Check for new replies or respond here...