inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misspelling of words

Written By: joeman on 05/04/10 at 6:57 am

Besides every other product ending with an "X", another thing that was popular in the 90s was the mispelling of words purposely.  Though this was probably started in rap music, when gangster now meant gangsta.  Most clothes lines that came out had the words "PHAT" in them and bands in the late 90s like KoRn was an obvious but 'cool' mispelling.  Anyone noticed this trend?

Subject: Re: Misspelling of words

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/10 at 10:01 am

Besides every other product ending with an "X", another thing that was popular in the 90s was the mispelling of words purposely.  Though this was probably started in rap music, when gangster now meant gangsta.  Most clothes lines that came out had the words "PHAT" in them and bands in the late 90s like KoRn was an obvious but 'cool' mispelling.  Anyone noticed this trend?

but phat is an acronym for Pretty Hot And Tempting.... so how can it be misspelled?

Written By: lola669 on 05/04/10 at 11:38 am

but phat is an acronym for Pretty Hot And Tempting.... so how can it be misspelled?

Well, I just learned something new.  Never really thought about the meaning before, glad I don't buy my daughter any Baby Phat clothes.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/10 at 11:47 am

Well, I just learned something new.  Never really thought about the meaning before, glad I don't buy my daughter any Baby Phat clothes.   ;D

yeah that's probably a good thing  ;D

Written By: joeman on 05/04/10 at 2:13 pm

lol.  True, it does mean Pretty Hot and Tempting, but I know an overweight white guy that wore that shirt all the time and I thought he was trying to be ironic.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/04/10 at 3:06 pm

You mean like Xtreme?

;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/10 at 7:47 pm

I think that's a back-ro-nym.  a made up acronym for an existing word.  like ADIDAS (All Day I Dream About Sex)

Check for new replies or respond here...