inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pretty Woman

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/10/10 at 2:43 pm

Just watched it again, for the fifth time, and it got me thinking, the film feels unsettling , the idea of a Senator picking up a hooker, dating her, and then falling in love.

Given the whole Elliot Spitzer, scandal and everything.

Am I alone on this one?

Subject: Re: Pretty Woman

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/10/10 at 5:35 pm

Richard Gere wasn't a Senator.  He just used Senators to help him get what he wanted. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/10/10 at 6:41 pm

Richard Gere wasn't a Senator.  He just used Senators to help him get what he wanted. 

Thanks for correcting me, on that.  It's been awhile, since I saw that film.

Written By: JTCool on 05/10/10 at 9:16 pm

I've watched that movie at least 5 times and every time I see it on tv it never seems to get old.

Written By: gibbo on 05/11/10 at 3:20 am

I agree with the uneasy feeling. I always enjoyed the movie (and it's soundtrack). The guy gets the girl etc...  However, I felt less happy about letting my kids watch a 'feel good' movie with swearing (some) and some dubious morality.  :-\\  I guess that comes from my Catholic upbringing. I certainly would not have taken my Mum to see it!!!  :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/11/10 at 12:26 pm

I didn't mean to be so quick in my reply.  I meant to just state the facts, but it came out a little abrupt.  I get what you mean about a man falling in love with a hooker.  I remember a lot of controversy surrounding the movie when it came out because people said it was going to encourage young women to turn to prostitution thinking that they'd have their very own Cinderella story.  And yeah...not so cool. 

Check for new replies or respond here...