inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What if Kurt Cobain didn't kill himself?

Written By: joeman on 06/02/10 at 8:29 pm

A lot of people claim that Kurt Cobain's death changed a lot of things.  Many people look at him as a hero, and that grunge died when Cobain died.

What if he didn't die?  Would grunge music cease to exist in the next few years without a 'post-grunge' and would the media outlets(TV shows, music, etc...) be any different?

Subject: Re: What if Kurt Cobain didn't kill himself?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/02/10 at 8:54 pm

That is a good question.

I honestly don't know what it would be like.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/02/10 at 9:59 pm

If he didn't kill himself, he'd still be alive  :P

Truly though, I think grunge WOULD have died Nirvana would have split anyway, and Kurt would have tried different avenues of music. 

Written By: joeman on 06/02/10 at 10:30 pm

If he didn't kill himself, he'd still be alive  :P

Truly though, I think grunge WOULD have died Nirvana would have split anyway, and Kurt would have tried different avenues of music. 

You mean like Kurt venturing into hip-hop music?  :D

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/10 at 12:37 pm

If he didn't kill himself, he'd still be alive  :P

I agree. Kurt Cobain wasn't a bad player he just wasn't amazing. There's nothing like a good suicide to boost someone's celebrity status.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/10 at 2:08 pm

I agree. Kurt Cobain wasn't a bad player he just wasn't amazing. There's nothing like a good suicide to boost someone's celebrity status.

His music really didn't strike any emotional chords with me.  I like music to make me feel something, whether it's joyous, weepy, inquisitive, or anything.  As with most grunge, I felt a whole lot of nothing when I heard it.

If Cobain hadn't deliberately killed himself, he was heading for an accidental O.D. by the late '90s.  Barring that, Nirvana would have produced a couple of more platinum albums and then seen their popularity wain in the next decade.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/03/10 at 9:26 pm

Good question.....

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/10 at 10:22 pm

His music really didn't strike any emotional chords with me.  I like music to make me feel something, whether it's joyous, weepy, inquisitive, or anything.  As with most grunge, I felt a whole lot of nothing when I heard it.

If Cobain hadn't deliberately killed himself, he was heading for an accidental O.D. by the late '90s.  Barring that, Nirvana would have produced a couple of more platinum albums and then seen their popularity wain in the next decade.

That makes sense, whether deliberate or not Cobain was heading downward. I was listening to 'Smells like teen spirit' recently and I still don't get what the big thing was about Nirvana. Yet again, the song was okay in itself but certainly not worthy of legendary status.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/03/10 at 10:32 pm

I like Kurt Cobain's music, but I also like music with feeling too.  ;D

Written By: joeman on 06/04/10 at 4:51 am

That makes sense, whether deliberate or not Cobain was heading downward. I was listening to 'Smells like teen spirit' recently and I still don't get what the big thing was about Nirvana. Yet again, the song was okay in itself but certainly not worthy of legendary status.

I am not sure.  The only thing I got out of it was that people were sick of the 80s and hair metal at the time and Nirvana just basically killed all of those bands.

Written By: DSilsbury on 06/04/10 at 7:27 pm

Grunge died, Kurt died, and to tell you the truth a bit of me died. \\\\\\\i loved that scene, we all did, but there you go go. There's been NOTHING since.

Written By: DLSilsbury on 06/04/10 at 7:30 pm

Tell me this shouldn't be at the top of the pops today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA&NR=1

Written By: Step-chan on 06/04/10 at 7:35 pm

Teen Spirit is the one song I never understood(I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't really for me), as the song I loved the most from Nevermind is Drain You.

I tend to like the more wacked out songs Kurt wrote alot more(Hairspray Queen for example), as those are the ones that stand out the most for me.

Written By: rgd51 on 06/10/10 at 12:40 am

He would still be widely respected and famous, but music changed alot id say after 1996, so he would be looked at alot like the Metallica guys are viewed now. I think his music would fade as the years go by as all music does

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/11/10 at 10:04 pm

If he hadn't killed himself, he'd have killed Courtney Love.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/10 at 10:14 pm

If he hadn't killed himself, he'd have killed Courtney Love.  ;)

She could drive a man to kill himself!
::)

Written By: Bacon on 06/15/10 at 5:34 pm

Man, you guys have to dig deeper than Smells like teen spirit! I'm 15, and I LOVE Nirvana. How can they not strike a chord with you, emotionally? Kurt was so emotional when he sang.... Sounded like he was boiling nails in his throat. Anyways, I love them because I can relate. This is going to sound totally emo, and it's going to make me sound like a total attention-whore, but I think people, young people in particular, love them so much because we all share a common element of feeling angry at something. I'm angry because my dad ditched out on me and because I'm in a single income family, and because I can't go f*cking anywhere without being offered some sort of pill. The kid down the street is angry because his dad hit him, or something. Some girl across town is angry because some guy didn't call her back.
No matter how large or minute our problems are, the youth still share that common element of anger, sadness, and hopelessness somewhere deep inside, some deeper than others because they ACT happy when they aren't.
I feel like Kurt was writing every song about me and my life. The anger, the hate, the sadness, the going nuts... All of it.
And from a musicians perspective, he wasn't an AMAZING guitarist, but I idolize him for the fact that he did what he wanted and didn't give a flying f*ck if people liked it or not.

You said you didn't understand why Nirvana was big. It's quite simple. If bands like Nirvana never came around, we would still be listening to Guns N Roses, Poison, Ratt, etc etc, AKA Hair metal... Either that, or hair metal would have evolved into something utterly disgusting, like how screamo music (which sucked in the first place) evolved into this half electronica, half screamo bullsheesh.

ANYWAYS, I think if Kurt hadn't died, he would have probably made 1 more album with Nirvana, left, he would have left Courtney Love, and probably have a failed solo career and ended up being a normal guy. Foo Fighters would have never came around. I'm sure some laws would be different in the state of Washington, since Krist Novaselic (Nirvana's bassist) is in politics up there. I'm sure many bands would have never gotten famous, and many bands that never got famous would have. I think overall though, things would be the same.

/endrant.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/10 at 6:41 pm

^ Do you come with Eggs and Toast?

Written By: Bacon on 06/15/10 at 10:01 pm

^ Do you come with Eggs and Toast?

Haha sorry for the wall of text. I got ahead of myself.

Written By: Frank on 06/16/10 at 2:21 am

If he hadn't killed himself, he would have written more music, none of which I liked.
Never got into any of their songs.

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 06/19/10 at 8:18 pm

I think he would have faded away, by choice.  He wasn't into being famous and was planning on retiring when he was killed. 

It would be interesting to see what he would have grown into, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...