inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is my era?

Written By: Eli on 06/25/10 at 6:00 pm

We all know that there are people who are considered seventies, eighties, and nineties kids. But what if you were born at the end of a decade? I was born in 1989, so therefore, would I therefore be considered a mid 90s-mid 00s kid (for example, I can remember everything starting from maybe 1994-current)? Do you know what I mean? I believe that in order to be a kid of a certain decade you have to be born in the previous decade's mids. In order to be considered a 90's kid, you have to be born in the mid 80's for the bulk of your childhood to be in the 90s.

Subject: Re: What is my era?

Written By: joeman on 06/25/10 at 6:19 pm

We all know that there are people who are considered seventies, eighties, and nineties kids. But what if you were born at the end of a decade? I was born in 1989, so therefore, would I therefore be considered a mid 90s-mid 00s kid (for example, I can remember everything starting from maybe 1994-current)? Do you know what I mean? I believe that in order to be a kid of a certain decade you have to be born in the previous decade's mids. In order to be considered a 90's kid, you have to be born in the mid 80's for the bulk of your childhood to be in the 90s.

It depends really.  For example, a 25-30 today could claim the 2010s to be thier decades because they enjoyed the decade more than the previous ones.  Wait until your 30 to claim your decade.

Written By: rgd51 on 06/26/10 at 3:35 am

I would say the 00s cuz you were only 10 when 2000 came so you were only a very young kid in the 90s. Considering you graduated high school in either 2007 or 2008 most likely, the 00s is when you matured and came of age. I was born in 1991 and am an 00s kid.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/26/10 at 6:33 am

It depends really.  For example, a 25-30 today could claim the 2010s to be thier decades because they enjoyed the decade more than the previous ones.  Wait until your 30 to claim your decade.

I would have to agree with that. I think the whole thing about trying to define people's "era's" based on birth years is basically pointless anyway because it's all subjective, and totally different from person to person.

A persons "era" spans the time from when they first become interested in music and pop culture, until the time when they no longer follow those things. If that happens to be when your age 12 through 20, or age 4 through 30, or whatever, then so be it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/10 at 12:19 pm

What's your era?  I dunno, how your pitching arm?

Written By: rgd51 on 06/27/10 at 3:08 am

Well id classify my eras like these:

90s: little kid years
00s: adolescence and high school
10s: college and young adult life
20s: raising a family

this is most likely how things would end up for you also

Written By: Midas on 06/28/10 at 10:11 pm

What's your era?  I dunno, how your pitching arm?

I was going to say they probably have one on each side of their head-a  :D

Written By: preston181 on 07/26/10 at 3:38 pm

I was born in 1981. I claim two eras:

The late 1980's/early 1990's: I was a kid, and Saturday morning cartoons of the time were flippin' awesome, (Thundercats, He-Man, DuckTales, Goof Troop, etc).

I also claim my late teen years, (ages 16 through 18), from 1997 to the end of 1999, as I had a blast before having to "grow up", and face reality without parents helping me out.

It's a matter of what best suits each person I guess. For me, those two ranges best define who I became later in life. I enjoy pop culture from both of them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/10 at 7:45 pm

I'm not old enough to remember Watergate, but I am old enough to remember Patricia Hearst and the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/29/10 at 3:38 am

I'll recycle a bit of the answer I gave in this similar topic: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=40890.0

Why focus on attaching yourselves to a specific decade?  So you don't really "belong" to a certain decade...so what?  Most people don't.  A decade is ten years and, of course, people's youth runs longer than that, assuming we go from childhood memories to college graduation or so.  Also take into account that a large portion of people are born, similar to you, towards the end of one decade or the start of another.  You will, by definition, not wholly fit within a single decade. 

I was born in 1989 as well.  What is my "era"?  It's the second half of the 90s (though thanks to reruns and such I got a lot of exposure to the first half), the 00s, and most likely the first half of the 2010s.  I find this notion of "claiming" a single decade to be your own to be moronic. You claim what you want to claim. 

Written By: joeman on 07/29/10 at 9:23 am

I'm not old enough to remember Watergate, but I am old enough to remember Patricia Hearst and the Symbionese Liberation Army.

I think a 6 year old would remember something that is related to children programming rather than politics.  The youngest age to have a grasp politics imo is 12.

Written By: Starde on 07/29/10 at 6:17 pm

I'll recycle a bit of the answer I gave in this similar topic: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=40890.0

Why focus on attaching yourselves to a specific decade?  So you don't really "belong" to a certain decade...so what?  Most people don't.  A decade is ten years and, of course, people's youth runs longer than that, assuming we go from childhood memories to college graduation or so.  Also take into account that a large portion of people are born, similar to you, towards the end of one decade or the start of another.  You will, by definition, not wholly fit within a single decade.  

I was born in 1989 as well.  What is my "era"?  It's the second half of the 90s (though thanks to reruns and such I got a lot of exposure to the first half), the 00s, and most likely the first half of the 2010s.  I find this notion of "claiming" a single decade to be your own to be moronic. You claim what you want to claim.  

I totally agree with you. I don't understand why people choose to limit themselves to one decade. :-\\ I personally don't. If I had to choose my "era" at the moment, it'd be the mid/late 90's up to the early/mid 00's. Both decades had an impact on me so I feel wrong choosing one decade over the other.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/01/10 at 12:53 pm

I claim the 90's since most of my good memories were in that decade!

Written By: rgd51 on 08/02/10 at 3:34 am

I think a person has many different eras. For example, I was in high school from 2006 to 2010 and college will end in 2014 for me unless i pursue post grad studies.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/10 at 10:41 pm

Being born in 1985, my "era" consists of the late '90s, the '00s, and probably the first half of the '10s.  I'll be 35 in 2020 and I think my interest in pop culture will be faded by then, as I will be setting into my older years.  I see myself listening to the music of the late '90s and '00s rather than current hits.  If I had to claim a decade, it would probably be the '00s.  In the '90s I was a child and only really became aware of the world outside of my life during Clinton's second term.  I believe one's "decade" is whatever decade they spend their late teens and young adulthood in (age 16-24).  That is when pop culture and trends matter most to a person.  For me, that was the '00s.  Its different for everybody and every generation.  Boomer culture spanned the latter 60s and 70s but by the 80s Generation X had taken over.  It will be interesting to see whether Generation Y will mature and become culturally irrelevant as early in life as the boomers did.

Written By: joeman on 08/03/10 at 6:11 am

Being born in 1985, my "era" consists of the late '90s, the '00s, and probably the first half of the '10s.  I'll be 35 in 2020 and I think my interest in pop culture will be faded by then, as I will be setting into my older years.  I see myself listening to the music of the late '90s and '00s rather than current hits.  If I had to claim a decade, it would probably be the '00s.  In the '90s I was a child and only really became aware of the world outside of my life during Clinton's second term.  I believe one's "decade" is whatever decade they spend their late teens and young adulthood in (age 16-24).  That is when pop culture and trends matter most to a person.  For me, that was the '00s.  Its different for everybody and every generation.  Boomer culture spanned the latter 60s and 70s but by the 80s Generation X had taken over.  It will be interesting to see whether Generation Y will mature and become culturally irrelevant as early in life as the boomers did.

I'm the same age and that is how I feel currently.  Taste wise(music, movies, etc..), I will always connect with the Y2K era with three years before and after 2000, but most of my real living came from my 18-24 years. 

I do think my 25-30 years are going to be much better than the other years due to the fact that my flaws and insecurities are on check and I know what I want.

Written By: 2015 on 08/05/10 at 1:48 am

I guess it depends on what you feel your era is. I actually feel more at home in the 10's than I ever did in the early 00's, I find the way people think these days is more to my liking. But I would give anything to go back to the 80's or 90's for a day.

Written By: Jdani on 08/18/10 at 3:37 pm

I was born in 1993
some how I still have memories from the cradle which are technically from the 90's.
because my parents were really cheap on house electronics I used to play old computer games and watch old VHS tapes.
fact that many reruns of popular 90's shows in my local tv station made it even stronger
I am a 90's kid

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/18/10 at 4:41 pm

Being born in 1976, my eras are the 80's and the 90's.

70's  born/toddler

80's  little kid years

90's  pre teen/teen

00's and 10's  adult, with a job, living in a apartment

Check for new replies or respond here...