inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s kids with Boomer parents

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/29/10 at 1:54 pm

I've noticed both demographically wise and otherwise that a lot of kids born in the early 90s (from around 1990-1993 or so) have parents who were Boomers--Like a lot of Boomers (particularly Boomers born in the mid-late 1950s) had kids later in life. I've also noticed that a lot of the culture of the mid 90s (thus culture aimed at kids who were born around the late 80s-mid 90s) kind of attempted to recapture the innocence of the '50s-mid 60s--Almost like the Boomers who had late life kids were trying to give their kids the innocence of their childhood. For example look at all the children's pictures and Disney films of the period, or the over materialization of childhood--from all the toys to the video games and whatnot--It just seems the Boomers tried recapturing the materialistic innocence of the '50s that colored their youth for their children. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see a lot of similarities with regard to childhood in the 50s and childhood in the 90s.

I'm referring mainly to kid were born between like 1988 and 1993 or so with parents who were born between like 1953 and 1959.

Subject: Re: 90s kids with Boomer parents

Written By: JTCool on 06/29/10 at 2:23 pm

I was born in 1993, and had parents who were born in 1952 and 1959, so I guess I fit into this demographic. One of my parents was just at a town parade with my sister and was saying that alot of the parents there that were in their 20's and 30's seem to lose control of their kids and think it's cute if their kid gets into trouble or puts themselves in harms way. Meanwhile, my parents raised us by trying to keep our childhood with as little danger as possible and kind of keep that innocence of youth. I'm not saying that this theory matches up to everyone or a certain age group but there could be some truth to that.

Written By: joeman on 06/29/10 at 6:05 pm

I was born in 1985, and my parents were born in 1946 and 1942.  My dad isn't in the demograph according to stats and such, but I consider him one considering he was a huge fan of the 60s and the culture.

Written By: Davester on 06/29/10 at 6:11 pm

I was born in 1985, and my parents were born in 1946 and 1942.  My dad isn't in the demograph according to stats and such, but I consider him one considering he was a huge fan of the 60s and the culture.

Our parents have the same birth years...

Written By: joeman on 06/29/10 at 6:16 pm

Our parents have the same birth years...

Yeah I know.  It was kind of weird, considering that all my friends had parents born in the 50s. They were married in thier 30s and had me and my sister last.  My bro was born in the late 70s.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/01/10 at 3:07 am

I was born in November of 1991 and my dad was born in 1956 and my mom in 1957, so according to Wikipedia they are classified as being part of Generation Jones. I guess they had me later in life as they always considered themselves 70s kids as that was when they were in high school.

Written By: JTCool on 07/01/10 at 1:33 pm

I was born in November of 1991 and my dad was born in 1956 and my mom in 1957, so according to Wikipedia they are classified as being part of Generation Jones. I guess they had me later in life as they always considered themselves 70s kids as that was when they were in high school.

Yeah my parents consider themselves Boomers and I've never heard them say Generation Jones except when they talk about some of their younger siblings born in the mid-60's. But you raise a good point because my parents consider the 70's more of a decade that was them because they like more of that music compared to the 60's. I always thought  people born in the 50's are the younger half of the Boomer generation and those born in the early to mid part of the 60's were Generation Jones and those in the late 60's were the beginning of Generation X.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/01/10 at 11:51 pm

Well when i hear of boomers i usually think like 1946 and 1947 births as that is when the boom was at its highest.

Check for new replies or respond here...