inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When was the '90s pop culture at its best/coolest?

Written By: Wiz83 on 06/29/10 at 2:40 pm

At what point or year was the '90s pop culture, in your opinion, at its coolest or most vibrant and creative?  I'd have to say it was right in the midpoint of the decade, around 1995/96, after grunge's heyday but before the boy band craze.  There were a lot of post-grunge alternative rock out around that time, including Bush, Toadies, Better Than Ezra, Presidents of the United States of America, Oasis, Alanis Morrissette, Natalie Merchant, and Jewel.  MTV was still somewhat decent or at the very least had yet to go downhill completely with cool animated shows like The Maxx, Beavis and Butthead, The Head. 

Subject: Re: When was the '90s pop culture at its best/coolest?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/29/10 at 3:07 pm

For me it has to be 1990-1996.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 06/29/10 at 3:48 pm

If you had to pick a single year I'd probably say 1994 as I feel that its the most definitive 90s year for various reasons, but to give a more generalized opinion I'd say 1993-1996 was the zenith of definitive 90s culture.

It's difficult though, because the 90s were such a complex decade. The early, mid, and late parts of the the 1990s were all very different from each other, and all have specific aspects and are all remembered equally.

Written By: joeman on 06/29/10 at 6:07 pm

1990-1991.  To some people, it wasn't really the 90s, that being said I enjoyed the hell out of that era.

1997-1999.  I was a teenager during that time and I had a lot of fun.

I thought the mid 90s was like Saturdays, was really boring.  The music was good though.

Written By: gibbo on 06/29/10 at 6:49 pm

1990-1991.  To some people, it wasn't really the 90s, that being said I enjoyed the hell out of that era.

1997-1999.  I was a teenager during that time and I had a lot of fun.

I thought the mid 90s was like Saturdays, was really boring.  The music was good though.

I agree...  I believe the 'real' 90's had no interesting pop culture. But, again, I am showing my age...

Written By: rgd51 on 06/30/10 at 2:05 am

1999 as the matrix came out that year but i was barely 8 when the decade ended so i know little of the era

Check for new replies or respond here...