inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What band identifies which part of the 90s?

Written By: rgd51 on 07/01/10 at 3:04 am

I started thinking about what kind of rock music is identified with certain parts of the 90s and ive come up with these ideas:

Early 90s: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Danzig, Alice in Chains, mostly the grunge type music that was in from say 1987-1994

Mid 90s: Bush, Tonic, Everclear, more alternative sounding rock

Late 90s: Blink 182, Lit, Kid Rock, Korn, Sevendust, more nu metal or punk rock sounding music

does anyone agree with me? i feel accurate but feel free to correct me on any of this

Subject: Re: What band identifies which part of the 90s?

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/10 at 10:17 pm

Crappy 90s:  80% of American Top 40 hits

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/03/10 at 12:05 pm

I started thinking about what kind of rock music is identified with certain parts of the 90s and ive come up with these ideas:

Early 90s: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Danzig, Alice in Chains, mostly the grunge type music that was in from say 1987-1994

Late 90s: Blink 182, Lit, Kid Rock, Korn, Sevendust, more nu metal or punk rock sounding music

does anyone agree with me? i feel accurate but feel free to correct me on any of this

Add Metallica and Guns N' Roses to the early 90s group since those two bands were much more popular just by sales and concert tickets in 1990-1992 than Nirvana ever was. I mean in 1991 when Metallica released the "Black Album" it sold 15 million copies, that's like near MJ levels of popularity.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/03/10 at 10:10 pm

True, but when i read about metallica i think of their popularity peak as being more around 1986 and more like 1991 for nirvana

Written By: Davester on 07/04/10 at 4:11 am

Looks good to me...

Karma for even mentioning Tonic... 8)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/04/10 at 9:21 pm

True, but when i read about metallica i think of their popularity peak as being more around 1986 and more like 1991 for nirvana

Like I said, their best selling album, Metallica, was released in August '91 and sold over 15 million copies. Then their live album and video, "Binge and Purge", came out in 1993 and sold altogether about 10 million. 1991-1993 was Metallica's peak. Nirvana never reached the sales or mass appeal of Metallica and Nirvana's 'peak' didn't come until February 1992, when they kicked Michael Jackson off the number one spot with Nevermind.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/05/10 at 3:04 am

i believe what youre sayin and i think there was a huge difference from the grunge of the early 90s and the nu metal and boy bands that were huge in the late 90s

Written By: joeman on 07/05/10 at 9:34 am

i believe what youre sayin and i think there was a huge difference from the grunge of the early 90s and the nu metal and boy bands that were huge in the late 90s

Not really.  A lot of nu-metal bands did grunge covers, and they were very similiar in style and lyrics(teen-angst, downtuned guitars,etc..).  Nu-Metal was more funk based, and there was more heavy metal genres that spawn off of grunge(I think one of them was called it Stoner Rock, which I think bands like Kyruss and Queens of the Stone Age were called).

Written By: rgd51 on 07/06/10 at 2:20 am

so would papa roach be nu metal? i own their infest album from 2000 which is mostly rapping but it seems that by 2004 they were more glam rock like

Written By: joeman on 07/06/10 at 6:47 am

so would papa roach be nu metal? i own their infest album from 2000 which is mostly rapping but it seems that by 2004 they were more glam rock like

Papa Roach is one of those bands that adapts to a new style of music.  I think they were emo also.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/08/10 at 2:01 am

idk if they sounded that emo to me. emo seems more like bullet for my valentine, my chemical romance, or hellogoodbye

Check for new replies or respond here...