inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Usenet to help with 90s pop culture (and the 90s in general)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/20/10 at 12:36 pm

I've noticed usenet (which archives actual posts, like mine here, going back to 1984) is very useful in helping figure out 90s pop cultural trends and general feelings. For example here is the first, as far as I can tell, derogatory use of the word "Mullet" on the internet to describe the hairstyle rather than a fish:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.beastie-boys/browse_thread/thread/89081954ad25656c/e607c6bf8528fa93?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=mullet#e607c6bf8528fa93

Subject: Re: Usenet to help with 90s pop culture (and the 90s in general)

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/21/10 at 7:07 am

To a lesser degree it works for the '80s as well, but newspaper archives/magazines/books work better there. For the '90s however (especially the second half of the decade), it can be a very useful source (such as Nickelodeon trends starting in 1994), music charts, movie reviews; I feel that there is a dearth of websites contributing to '90s today compared to the '80s in 2000; all there is is inthe90s.com and 90s411.com; there are a few blogs/facebook pages here and there, but the coverage tends to be very spotty. Hopefully, the next serveral years will bring improvements in '90s nostalgia. I've noticed a "grunge fonts" on a site about fonts, so it does show there is some '90s reinterest out there!

Of course from the late '90s, there's always archive.org if you find an old url and are interested what the site was like back then. You'll find that '90s nostalgia, like the '90s decade itself, will be the first decade in which using Internet (yes, still capitalize that I please like a real '90s lover does) pages is a primary way of showing information; of course you had all those sites that were victims of the dot-com bubble. '90s nostalgia won't be quite like the preceding decades (although Youtube sort of emulated '80s nostalgia by making video an essential part of music nostalgia, unlike simply listening to audio for nostalgia of earlier decades).

Subject: Re: Usenet to help with 90s pop culture (and the 90s in general)

Written By: joeman on 07/21/10 at 8:18 am

I've used Usenet in the late 90s/early 00s, but I went on Simpsons archives and Pro-wrestling forums.  I accessed it by a website called RemarQ, though unfortunately it folded in 2001. 

Usenet is a pretty good archive list if you are interested on what people thought of at the times. 

Check for new replies or respond here...