inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Packard Bell

Written By: joeman on 07/29/10 at 3:36 pm

Anyone remember these computers?  I honestly thought they were owned by Hewlett Packard.  Also, these computers were pretty popular around 1996-1997 but quickly off the face of the Earth.  I owned one myself and had cool games with it(especially the Spiderman Animation series) but it crashed after a year or so.

Subject: Re: Packard Bell

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/30/10 at 9:16 pm

Oh yeah.  We old-school techies remember it.

No relation to Hewlett-Packard or Ma Bell, and the reason they disappeared quickly was because of utterly atrocious hardware back in the day.  One out of every 6 PB PCs were returned. 

Why Acer paid for that brand in 2008, I'll never know - although the problems are essentially over, it'll took a long time for Acer to overcome the stigma. As recently as 2007, the negative brand equity still clings to the PB name.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 08/02/10 at 7:05 pm

Learn somethinig new everyday

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/15/10 at 10:26 pm

We bought our first computer--A Packard Bell--in 1995. When it died in 1997, I, the 6 year old, was blamed for it being messed up.

Written By: joeman on 09/15/10 at 10:31 pm

We bought our first computer--A Packard Bell--in 1995. When it died in 1997, I, the 6 year old, was blamed for it being messed up.

I don't really think it was you're fault.  PB's are known to be pieces of crap anyways.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/16/10 at 4:13 pm

I don't really think it was you're fault.  PB's are known to be pieces of crap anyways.

I know. But it's easier to blame the child than blame yourself for buying crappy hardware.
I had it had a stunning 1gb hard drive or something. It was Windows 3.11
We replaced it in 1997 with a Hewlett Packard PC equipped with Windows 95, which we had until 2000, when it became my computer and my parents got a more advanced HP PC.

Ironically, my laptop (which is my first) is an Acer, which is technically the successor or parent of Packard Bell. So it's kind of like going backwards.

Written By: joeman on 09/17/10 at 7:23 am

I know. But it's easier to blame the child than blame yourself for buying crappy hardware.
I had it had a stunning 1gb hard drive or something. It was Windows 3.11
We replaced it in 1997 with a Hewlett Packard PC equipped with Windows 95, which we had until 2000, when it became my computer and my parents got a more advanced HP PC.

Ironically, my laptop (which is my first) is an Acer, which is technically the successor or parent of Packard Bell. So it's kind of like going backwards.

Cool.

My first Windows-operated computer was a Packard Bell but it broke in a few years.  Later I had an Emachine, which back then wasn't really owned by Gateway.  Ironically, that computer lasted me for 4-5 years until I had  another Emachine that was made by Gateway.  Now I use a Gateway laptops.

I think the Ipads serve as a template of what computers are going to be like for now on.  There are computers with touch screen but we are getting to the point where we don't need to use keyboards anymore.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/20/10 at 1:34 pm

My husband worked for Packard Bell back in the day.  Oh the stories he could tell!

Written By: Claybricks on 09/20/10 at 7:01 pm

I purchased my first computer 'a Packard Bell 286' in 1990. Something went wrong with the hard drive within a week of the purchase. Instead of accepting the repaired computer, I purchased an AST 386-20 from the same store. I remember the salesman telling me that I did not need the power of a 386 unless I had a business lol

At the same time, I also purchased a state of the art Zenith 17 inch flat screen CRT monitor with a special non reflective coating.

Dan

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/10 at 7:54 pm

I remember using my brother's Windows 3.1 Packard Bell machine way back in '95, in those days I had a System 7 Mac with a huge 1GB hard drive a blazing 75 MHz processor.  ;D

Written By: Claybricks on 09/20/10 at 8:10 pm

I remember using my brother's Windows 3.1 Packard Bell machine way back in '95, in those days I had a System 7 Mac with a huge 1GB hard drive a blazing 75 MHz processor.  ;D

I think my Packard Bell 286 came with a 60 megabyte hard drive. The service dept said I could upgrade to 80 megabytes for a few hundred dollars lol

Dan

Written By: Henk on 09/21/10 at 3:59 pm

My previous computer was a Packard Bell. Bought it in 2005, and yes, it broke - but that was mainly my fault. Computer + water = FAIL. :D ;D

I still use the screen that came with it, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...