inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 20-Year Cycle or: The Grand Unified Theory of The 2010s 90s Revival

Written By: RepoOne on 08/06/10 at 9:03 am

I posted this giant wall of text on Facebook originally, but I feel that it might interest some people here.

It is commonly stated that pop culture recycles itself every twenty years. I always thought that was a stupid statement and a vast oversimplification of a rather complex anthropological topic. Well, recently, I've been starting to think that I was wrong. There are influences from the 80s in 2000s culture. It appears that a ton of pop culture from the 90s is going to return this decade, and there is a lot of evidence to support this claim.

First off, I'll detail the 80s in 00s culture. Bright colors, electropop, skinny jeans, hair metal, colored jeans, crazy hair, shutter shades, and loads of makeup have come back this past decade. I hate to give them credit for anything, but "scene kids" show this the most, and are arguably the most 80s subculture of the 2000s. The only thing about it is that the style mixed with modern emo and rap culture, modifying it some. However, one simply has to look at the description of a "scene kid" to see the 80s influence: big hair, bright colors, shutter shades or giant sunglasses, and tight jeans. Their music even has many 80s similarities. Synth- and electro-pop, which were popular in the 1980s with musical artists such as Gary Numan, The Buggles, Thomas Dolby, The Eurythmics, a-ha, and Tears for Fears has returned (albeit with heavy modern emo and rap influence) in bands such as Owl City, 3Oh!3, Ke$ha, Hot Chip, and MGMT.

It appears that much of the pop-culture of the 90s is about to return in the 2010s, especially in music. This is partially due to the direction modern popular music is taking, but primarily due to the massive amount of reunions of bands that topped the charts in the 1990s. Here is a list of a few, categorized by genre:

Grunge
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Hole

Eurodance
Eiffel 65
Aqua
Vengaboys
Ace of Base
2 Unlimited
No Doubt
Daze

Other
Rage Against the Machine
Blink-182
Creed
Limp Bizkit
Blur
Eve 6
Third Eye Blind
Jane's Addiction
Faith No More

It seems that Grunge and Eurodance are going to make especially strong comebacks, with many of the genre-defining groups reappearing. Many modern groups are going for a 90s sound as well, such as Katy Perry with her upcoming album, which she described by saying "It's roller-skating! It's '90s! It's Ace of Base! It's Cyndi Lauper! It's like all these colors and more". After listening to her newest single "California Gurls", it sounds like she isn't lying. The song is incredibly upbeat and sounds somewhat reminiscent of late-90s Eurodance.

Some 90s groups, such as R.E.M., who have not released albums in a long time, are also writing new material this year.TV is also starting to go look back to the 90s for show ideas and revivals. Futurama was recently revived by Comedy Central, and it is said that Beavis and Butthead is going to be brought back. Even a remake of the terrible show 90210 is currently on TV.

90s-style video games are also being made again. Perfect Dark was just released on the Xbox Virtual Console. A new Goldeneye game is being made for the Nintendo Wii. The next Sonic game (Sonic 4) is said to "pick up right where Sonic 3 left off" and it "feels like the old Sonic games". Introversion Software is making a game that is a successor to Uplink, which was a 90s-style game (2D, PC-only, etc) released in 2001 (some even argue that the 90s did not culturally end until 2002 or 2003).

Other things are starting to change, as well. Celebrities are starting to wear flannel, big shoes, darker colors, and other "90s-style" clothing. This means that it is only a matter of time before the average person starts doing this. Another return to the 90s might be seen in the news that "Companies brace as the made-in-China era comes to a close"; while most products in the 90s were made in China, it was nowhere near as prevalent as it is today.

Also, even though there is little evidence of this occurring, I would love to see a return to the design patterns of the 90s: bright, deep colors put over dark colors and angular, minimalist (frequently text-based) design. I'm sick of all of this Apple-inspired grey-on-white, reflective, "artsy", curved crap. I don't want my computer to be a work of art, I want it to be a big box. When I look at a company's logo, I don't want to be overwhelmed with bright round shapes and circles. When I'm surfing a website, I want to see light-on-dark, not dark-on-white. I want to see EDGES on some things.

In conclusion, I'm starting to see how the "20 year cycle" may not be an incorrect idea after all. A ton of bands from the 90s are starting to come back and modern bands are going for "that 90s sound". TV shows are being brought back, and modern games are being made that bear a strong resemblence to 90s games. I'm just hoping that my prediction that the 2010s will be more like the 90s than the 2000s is true, for the 2000s generally sucked.

So, what do you think of these observations?

Subject: Re: The 20-Year Cycle or: The Grand Unified Theory of The 2010s 90s Revival

Written By: Emman on 08/06/10 at 10:12 am

Some of the 90's eurodance stlye is coming back with artist like Lady Gaga, I think there might be very euro sound in pop music this decade.

Subject: Re: The 20-Year Cycle or: The Grand Unified Theory of The 2010s 90s Revival

Written By: Starde on 08/06/10 at 12:35 pm

Yes, the 2010s will be the 90's nostalgia decade and I liked the observations you pointed out. I'm already starting to see some of that 90's nostalgia creeping in already in terms of music. Already, I'm hearing a few more songs with people sampling popular 90's songs within the past year. Here are some examples I've heard:

Ex. #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26hsZqwveA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zthEnZz67wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdI6jJkAZU

And I heard another song recently sampling this, but I can't remember the name right now.

Ex. #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0XGs39BrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edNViP4nTJ0

Ex. #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emM_juVdzds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VLvjkyQ30

And there's probably more out there. In the early 2010s, I think we'll see a little bit of 90's nostalgia coming in, but we won't see the full effects 'til around the mid 2010s.

Written By: RepoOne on 08/06/10 at 7:20 pm

Some of the 90's eurodance stlye is coming back with artist like Lady Gaga, I think there might be very euro sound in pop music this decade.

I've heard this argument before, but I just don't hear the similarities between Lady Gaga and Eurodance. Her music isn't upbeat enough, and her style is a bit too weird. 90s Eurodance artists seemed content to just make happy bubblegum music, and their styles reflected that.

Written By: robby76 on 08/06/10 at 8:07 pm

I've heard this argument before, but I just don't hear the similarities between Lady Gaga and Eurodance. Her music isn't upbeat enough, and her style is a bit too weird. 90s Eurodance artists seemed content to just make happy bubblegum music, and their styles reflected that.

Lady Gaga's "Eh Eh" sounds very 90s. Almost like an Ace of Base song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yFMHAXIZY

Written By: Cory! on 08/06/10 at 8:21 pm

Ehhh I dunno I haven't seen enough proof lately that the 90's are making their comeback.
I mean yeahh there are a few of those little things you've pointed out. I mean the bands reforming/making
new music, sure. But are people actually listening to them and are they successful like they used to be? As for the video games has that ever really stopped? The 80's just recently made a huge comeback (to the mainstream not just to the scene kids) over the last few years (08-now) and I don't really see it going away anytime soon. :P

Written By: Starde on 08/06/10 at 9:21 pm

Lady Gaga's "Eh Eh" sounds very 90s. Almost like an Ace of Base song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yFMHAXIZY

I also thought the same. Originally, I thought it had this 80's sound to it, but the more I thought about it, it did sound more Ace of Base-y.

Written By: JTCool on 08/07/10 at 12:30 pm

While I think the 2000s did have some 80s things become popular again. I think the 2010s will have a lot more 80s things coming back into style but with some 90's things as well. The early 2000s to me had a very retro 70s feel to them in terms of some of the music and clothes, but by the mid-2000s that was kinda gone. While I think there are a lot of songs now that have a 90's feel, there's equally as much that have the 80's synth-pop feel to them. 

I don't think this new revival is just 90's but a lot of 80s as well. I was just researching some of the things that were popular in the 1990's, and in the late 1990's alot of 60's styles were in style along with 70's style coming in in the early 2000s.

Written By: joeman on 08/07/10 at 12:37 pm

While I think the 2000s did have some 80s things become popular again. I think the 2010s will have a lot more 80s things coming back into style but with some 90's things as well. The early 2000s to me had a very retro 70s feel to them in terms of some of the music and clothes, but by the mid-2000s that was kinda gone. While I think there are a lot of songs now that have a 90's feel, there's equally as much that have the 80's synth-pop feel to them. 

I don't think this new revival is just 90's but a lot of 80s as well. I was just researching some of the things that were popular in the 1990's, and in the late 1990's alot of 60's styles were in style along with 70's style coming in in the early 2000s.

Right. 

Also, there is a "mini retro fad" that appears 40 years from the past.  The 50's nostalgia wasn't totally gone until the 2000s, as there was a few movies like PleasantVille that is set in the 50s.  The 60s was kind of popular in 2000s, but I think it would fade away with a 70s comeback.  However, those retro-fads of 40 years are far in between, at least compared to the 20 year cycle fads.

Written By: Cory! on 08/07/10 at 12:40 pm

There we go :) Thats what I think as well.

Written By: JTCool on 08/07/10 at 1:02 pm

Also, there is a "mini retro fad" that appears 40 years from the past.  The 50's nostalgia wasn't totally gone until the 2000s, as there was a few movies like PleasantVille that is set in the 50s.  The 60s was kind of popular in 2000s, but I think it would fade away with a 70s comeback.  However, those retro-fads of 40 years are far in between, at least compared to the 20 year cycle fads.

Yeah I can kinda see that too. And in the 1980s the 50s were the cool retro thing, so when/if there's a big 80s revival, other styles(like the 50's) from different decades become popular again too because they were also popular in the 80s. I don't know if that makes sense but hopefully it did  :)

Subject: Re: The 20-Year Cycle or: The Grand Unified Theory of The 2010s 90s Revival.

Written By: davedude228 on 08/07/10 at 5:47 pm

I totally agree with the whole history repeating itself thing. I would like to see movies like What they did in 1993 with Dayzed and Confused where it is set in the 1976, as well as other films that are set in that decade when the 1970s was making a comeback. not in this decade, we should start seeing alot of films that are set in the 90s. Then there will be something for the people that were comming of age during that time to enjoy. If anyone hears or know of anything about to come out , let me know cuz I wanna see it.:)

Written By: davedude228 on 08/07/10 at 5:58 pm

And as far as styles. who ever though that the afro would ever return in the 00s? I remember how corny they looked. I see them all the time.  Now heres another possibility..... I would not have any doubt in my mind that in some kind of form, the Mullet would become popular again. Think about it. of course we may not see it until later on in the decade. but as the saying goes: history repeats itself. OOOWWWWW!

Written By: JTCool on 08/07/10 at 9:53 pm

And as far as styles. who ever though that the afro would ever return in the 00s? I remember how corny they looked. I see them all the time.  Now heres another possibility..... I would not have any doubt in my mind that in some kind of form, the Mullet would become popular again. Think about it. of course we may not see it until later on in the decade. but as the saying goes: history repeats itself. OOOWWWWW!

Haha I actually have seen some people with mullets, it's scary! I think it looks disgusting but if they can handle dealing with all the strange looks they'll be getting and having that thing on the back of their head than more power to them.

Written By: 2015 on 08/07/10 at 11:52 pm

i hope not. to me, it would almost be like a 30-year span of 90s-ness. the 90s influence on the 00s (direct influence) never died until well, not even now. i think the 10's will be a mix of 80s and early 90s style.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/08/10 at 5:50 am

Despite some 80's things coming back, the 2000s reminded me more of the 70's in spirit. I think someone on this forum once said, the 90's were like the 60's in spirit. Maybe it's like a 30 year pattern, for the spirit of a decade to come back.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/11/10 at 7:36 am

Whatever happened to the Gay Nineties?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/15/10 at 6:13 pm

Despite some 80's things coming back, the 2000s reminded me more of the 70's in spirit. I think someone on this forum once said, the 90's were like the 60's in spirit. Maybe it's like a 30 year pattern, for the spirit of a decade to come back.

Would agree.  The '70s were very turbulent with a seemingly endless war, high oil prices, a bad economy, government scandals, and Jimmy Carter.  The '00s were strikingly similar, except replace Jimmy Carter with Barack Obama. 

Written By: JTCool on 08/15/10 at 8:33 pm

Would agree.  The '70s were very turbulent with a seemingly endless war, high oil prices, a bad economy, government scandals, and Jimmy Carter.  The '00s were strikingly similar, except replace Jimmy Carter with Barack Obama. 

Barack Obama? He was only in office for one year (2009) of the 00s? Hardly enough time to say his adminstration defined a large part of politics for the whole 2000s decade. Bush's politics however were a big part of the decade.

Written By: Emman on 08/15/10 at 9:52 pm

Barack Obama? He was only in office for one year (2009) of the 00s? Hardly enough time to say his adminstration defined a large part of politics for the whole 2000s decade. Bush's politics however were a big part of the decade.

I agree, couldn't have said it better myself ;).

Written By: joeman on 08/15/10 at 11:49 pm

Economy wasn't bad until late 2007.  Before then, we were still living off the economy boom.  I do agree with government scandals, being a Floridian myself with a governer being Jeb Bush at the time.

Written By: 2015 on 08/19/10 at 10:35 am

I see more of an 80s revival than anything. The 80s never really fully came back until about 2009, because the back lash was still too strong. I see people wearing neon colors everywhere - before, I thought the 80s revival was just something people talked about, people still looked late 90s until like 2006 for the most part. But now, I really see 80s back, though with a 2010's twist - teal and pink shirts, headbands, and crisp plaid everywhere.

Written By: Emman on 08/19/10 at 1:03 pm

I see more of an 80s revival than anything. The 80s never really fully came back until about 2009, because the back lash was still too strong. I see people wearing neon colors everywhere - before, I thought the 80s revival was just something people talked about, people still looked late 90s until like 2006 for the most part. But now, I really see 80s back, though with a 2010's twist - teal and pink shirts, headbands, and crisp plaid everywhere.

Yeah, the 80's had a huge 50's revival too(mainly the early 80's), like the greaser look came back. 20-30 years seems to be the time it takes for a past decade's pop culture nostalgia to kick in full gear. Alot of rock music was still tied to the 90's for most of the 00's too besides emo, hip hop/urban culture defined the 00's though. The dance/electropop music and fashion so popular now is more "agreeable" with elements of the 80's, unlike the 90s-like post-grunge or the very 00's crunk/dirty south rap.

Written By: JTCool on 08/21/10 at 9:11 pm

Even though I think more 80s thing are starting to become popular now. I have noticed on I-tunes radio that they are slowly adding more 90s stations that just play music from the decade.

Written By: Superflykid2008 on 09/06/10 at 3:51 am

I agree with everyone else here. The majority of the 00s was kinda a mix between the 70s and the 90s. For instance, ripped jeans and the whole grunge look was popular for a lot of the 00s. Skinny jeans and stuff weren't really popular for kids until around 09, unless you were emo. And electropop never really overtook the airways until late 08. I think Lady Gaga came out in November of 2008, so more so 2009 is when the 80s came in full force. I think the 80s retro thing is gonna be here for a while. Plus you have 80s electropop artist like La Roux that came out this year, in 2010...

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/10 at 9:34 pm

i hope not. to me, it would almost be like a 30-year span of 90s-ness. the 90s influence on the 00s (direct influence) never died until well, not even now. i think the 10's will be a mix of 80s and early 90s style.

I disagree.  In my opinion, the true '90s were gone by 1999 and the cultural '00s had begun.  Think about it, most of the cultural aspects associated with the '90s had changed radically by 1999.  Grunge was dead, eurodance was on life support, hip-hop and urban pop was breaking into the mainstream in ways it hadn't previously, baggy clothes had made way for a clean cut preppy look, the popular mid '90s hairstyles for both men and women were no more, I could go on and on.  You could say the '00s had a heavy influence from 1999, but NOT the rest of the '90s decade.

Written By: tv on 09/09/10 at 3:01 pm

I thought the 80's revival lasted from about 2002 till about mid 2007 and just died after that.

Written By: tv on 09/09/10 at 3:06 pm

I disagree.  In my opinion, the true '90s were gone by 1999 and the cultural '00s had begun.  Think about it, most of the cultural aspects associated with the '90s had changed radically by 1999.  Grunge was dead, eurodance was on life support, hip-hop and urban pop was breaking into the mainstream in ways it hadn't previously, baggy clothes had made way for a clean cut preppy look, the popular mid '90s hairstyles for both men and women were no more, I could go on and on.  You could say the '00s had a heavy influence from 1999, but NOT the rest of the '90s decade.
I think I agree with you the 90's were gone by mid 1999(the 1992/1993-1996, 1997-1998 style 90's)

I don't remember hip-hop dominating until 2003 and urban pop either until like 2004 maybe.

Written By: tv on 09/09/10 at 3:08 pm

No the ecomomy was good till like 2008 maybe than it went in the toilet!

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/09/10 at 9:16 pm

Maybe this past decade is to the late 90's, what the 70's were to the late 60's. Up until disco, around 1976, weren't the 70's very similar to the late 60's?

Check for new replies or respond here...