inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Rapper in the 90s?

Written By: joeman on 08/09/10 at 8:04 pm

Which rapper in the 90s was most dominant in the scene and elsewhere?  I am going to say Tupac Shakur.  He was in a lot of movies and his rap albums sold well.  Deathrow was huge during that time and his one hit song with Dr Dre, California Love, was everywhere.  His fued with Biggie gave him more attention, as well his first shootings and his death.  Most people believed he never died because he was putting up a lot of rap albums(sometimes 2-CD albums) after his death.  Dave Chappelle in one of his skits made fun of a Tupac song, which went "I wrote this back in 93".

Subject: Re: Best Rapper in the 90s?

Written By: Starde on 08/10/10 at 11:19 am

To me, it's Tupac.

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/10 at 1:16 pm

Maestro Fresh-Wes.  I loved his rap.

Written By: midnite on 08/10/10 at 3:57 pm

Unfortunately, Will SMith (AKA Fresh Prince) and his party-rap was bigger than your Tupac. 

A Tribe Called Quest were my favorites.  However, I believe that Jay-Z was probably the most influential from that era.

Written By: joeman on 08/10/10 at 4:36 pm

You might be on to something about Will Smith.  He was popular earlier in the 90s and even in the late 80s, but then his movie career and TV career(especially Fresh Prince of Bell Air) jump shot him to success.  Plus, the song Miami was huge. 

I remember one music award show(could be MTV) where Will Smith called out the "gangsta rappers" saying he doesn't need cursing or talking about killing cops to make rap music.

Written By: 2015 on 08/10/10 at 4:56 pm

snoop dizzle

Written By: Brian06 on 08/10/10 at 5:00 pm

Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Snoop

Written By: Emman on 08/10/10 at 9:23 pm

My favorite from the 90's is Snoop Doggy Dogg.

Written By: Davester on 08/11/10 at 4:18 am

Dr. Dre with his celebrated debut solo album The Chronic.  Without a doubt...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/11/10 at 7:35 am

Biz Markie and Maestro Fresh Wes.

Check for new replies or respond here...