inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/13/10 at 11:59 pm

I know there was a lot of cool movies and music of the 90s, but there also seems that the general culture really just rehashed the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s--Movies, rock, etc. I mean sure some of the 90s mainstream rock was exciting, but a lot of it in terms of sound seemed to be a rehash of 70s rock without all of the raw excitement. The '90s in general seem to be a very 'sterile' decade compared to the previous four; I can't explain it exactly but it just seems to be a very bland decade in comparison with the 50s-80s.

The only really exciting new media, in my opinion, from the 1990s was Industrial Rock, Rap, Computer and Video Games, the Internet the Animated Shows of the 1990s--Those were things that had never been done before. But most mainstream movies, music, and whatnot just seems to be a sterile rehash of what came before. I mean in 1972 the biggest band in the world was probably the Rolling Stones; In 1992 it was Nirvana, just to sort of summarize my point.

Subject: Re: The 90s

Written By: 2015 on 08/14/10 at 1:48 am

i would say that is more the 2000's.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/10 at 5:20 am

I know there was a lot of cool movies and music of the 90s, but there also seems that the general culture really just rehashed the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s--Movies, rock, etc. I mean sure some of the 90s mainstream rock was exciting, but a lot of it in terms of sound seemed to be a rehash of 70s rock without all of the raw excitement. The '90s in general seem to be a very 'sterile' decade compared to the previous four; I can't explain it exactly but it just seems to be a very bland decade in comparison with the 50s-80s.

The only really exciting new media, in my opinion, from the 1990s was Industrial Rock, Rap, Computer and Video Games, the Internet the Animated Shows of the 1990s--Those were things that had never been done before. But most mainstream movies, music, and whatnot just seems to be a sterile rehash of what came before. I mean in 1972 the biggest band in the world was probably the Rolling Stones; In 1992 it was Nirvana, just to sort of summarize my point.

I think that the entertainment industry after the 80s became very lazy. But the 90s was still good enough to be called a good decade in my opinion. But by the 00s, everything went down the drain!  ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/10 at 10:39 pm

90's music was extremely diverse.  Unlike the '80s and the '00s when pretty much one sound dominated the entire decade, '90s music changed radically between the early, mid, and later part of the decade.  It was not stale at all.  The only other decade in the past 100 years that can compare is the 1960s.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/15/10 at 6:34 am

90's music was extremely diverse.  Unlike the '80s and the '00s when pretty much one sound dominated the entire decade, '90s music changed radically between the early, mid, and later part of the decade.  It was not stale at all.  The only other decade in the past 100 years that can compare is the 1960s.

That I agree.

60's Music was like listening to a "Sgt. Pepper" album.

In 1960, you had this...

-aWkhuAu8go

By 1969, you had this...

2tsYe4hdONY

What a difference that decade made! With the 90's, it seemed that they tried to bring back the nostalgia of the past decades. Some of it worked, other times it didn't.

The 2000's, everything about the past decades were thrown out with the baby and the bathwater!

I wish that the next decade we bring it back!...But nothing with the 2000's!

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/21/10 at 5:46 pm

I think the '90s were, compared to say the 60s and 70s, a very sterile decade. All the decadence, power and passion removed, and only emulated to lesser degrees.

Check for new replies or respond here...