inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good 90s novels?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/14/10 at 11:34 pm

Any good 90s novels? I don't care what genre. I don't mean set in the '90s I mean written and/or published in the 90s.

I mean best seller novels of any part of the '90s. Also, any novels with Baby Boomer protagonists or Generation Xer protagonists--Books written from the mindset of people who were in their 30s to 40s in the 90s and people who were in their late teens to late 20s throughout the decade. Stuff that points out generational differences. Like books written that are novels but also cultural.

Subject: Re: Good 90s novels?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/10 at 5:13 am

I recommend "A Simple Plan" the 1993 novel by American novelist Scott Smith.

Written By: Davester on 08/16/10 at 12:58 am

The most obvious being Generation X: Tales For An Accelerated Culture.  I've read it - didn't speak to me.  Maybe it will to you.  You can have my copy for free...

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell - gen x-er navel gazing.  Tour of places related to the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley (but not Kennedy).  Fascinating history.  Quirky and fun...

ops, just realized this isn't a '90s work.  Just pretend it is... ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/18/10 at 9:27 pm

The most obvious being Generation X: Tales For An Accelerated Culture.  I've read it - didn't speak to me.  Maybe it will to you.  You can have my copy for free...   

Three generations of engineering culture for the price of one:

1970s: Tracy Kidder, The Soul of a New Machine
1980s: Steven Levy, Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
1990s: Douglas Coupland, Microserfs.

Check for new replies or respond here...