inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Zip Drives

Written By: joeman on 08/18/10 at 1:12 am

Anyone remember those?  They were suppose to replace Floppy Disks with even larger floppy disks.  I think it could only hold 100 megabites or so, but it never took off, unlike today's flash drives.  Did anyone ever had one of those?

Subject: Re: Zip Drives

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 1:21 am

Anyone remember those?  They were suppose to replace Floppy Disks with even larger floppy disks.  I think it could only hold 100 megabites or so, but it never took off, unlike today's flash drives.  Did anyone ever had one of those?

I still have mine... It's still hooked up to my computer and everything lol..... and damnit back in the day a hundred MB's seemed huge!!!  ;D 

Written By: Brian06 on 08/18/10 at 1:39 am

I never had one, but I remember them. I recall them being pretty expensive (likely a big reason they never caught on).

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 1:49 am

I never had one, but I remember them. I recall them being pretty expensive (likely a big reason they never caught on).

I don't recall what I paid for mine but I want to say I got it for under or around $100. I also I think I got it when they held 250MB instead of 100

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/18/10 at 9:23 pm

It wasn't the cost, it was the reliability problem.

The root cause of the Click of Death was a design flaw that probably couldn't have been forseen by Iomega at the time the device was invented, but it was a fatal flaw: when a drive couldn't reliably write to a disk, the disk was often irrevocably corrupted, and could never be read in any drive.  Another design flaw led to physical damage to both the disk and the drive's heads, and thereafter the damaged drive would destroy every disk inserted into that drive - and the damaged disks would damage any other drive into which they were inserted. 

The end result was a reputation irrevocably tarnished, a class action suit, and between the two, Iomega was effectively put out of business. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/10 at 9:27 pm

when does the virtual become more real than the real
???

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/10 at 5:25 am

It wasn't the cost, it was the reliability problem.

The root cause of the Click of Death was a design flaw that probably couldn't have been forseen by Iomega at the time the device was invented, but it was a fatal flaw: when a drive couldn't reliably write to a disk, the disk was often irrevocably corrupted, and could never be read in any drive.  Another design flaw led to physical damage to both the disk and the drive's heads, and thereafter the damaged drive would destroy every disk inserted into that drive - and the damaged disks would damage any other drive into which they were inserted. 

The end result was a reputation irrevocably tarnished, a class action suit, and between the two, Iomega was effectively put out of business. 

weird... I got mine circa 1997/98 and it still functions extremely well. I was looking at some old pics I have on zip disks just last month.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/19/10 at 8:19 pm

weird... I got mine circa 1997/98 and it still functions extremely well. I was looking at some old pics I have on zip disks just last month.

You got lucky!  Just don't jar or jostle the thing too much, and it should be fine - but I'd still strongly consider copying that stuff onto more permanent media.  (Don't throw away the original after the copy's gone... you can never have too many backups!)

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/10 at 9:45 am

I don't recall what I paid for mine but I want to say I got it for under or around $100. I also I think I got it when they held 250MB instead of 100

200mb was the Rolls Royce of memory back in the day lol

I remember in the early 2000s, I bought my first portable mp3 player ... It took one AAA battery and held an amazing (as the package stated) 32mb of memory.  And at that time, it cost me 99$.  Memory sure has advanced now adays

Check for new replies or respond here...