inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was slaughter the last relevant glam band?

Written By: Eli on 08/20/10 at 12:50 pm

I'm saying because they are one of the only glam bands to last into the early-mid 90's. Like most 90s fans, I liked grunge, but unlike most 90's fans, I was mad that it killed off glam bands. I actually miss that music. And sound. I am a sucker for power ballads.

Subject: Re: Was slaughter the last relevant glam band?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/20/10 at 7:42 pm

Pretty much, along with Damn Yankees. They first came out in the spring of 1990, and slaughter's last hit was in late summer 1992 and Damn Yankees last was in April 1993. By August 1993, the '80s culture was 100% kaput: Cell phones and the Internet were starting to become a reality of the future even if not quite "there" yet, Michael Jackson was now tabloid trash for the rest of his life in the wake of the child seduction scandal, and grunge had saturated rock radio to the point that any rock that wasn't grunge or alternative was relegated to second class. It's unfortunate for such bands given the cultural changes, as they have some nice albums out there (and '90s material of many so called "80s" stars has become well-liked with most fans.) It was truly the end of an era.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/20/10 at 11:09 pm

I'm saying because they are one of the only glam bands to last into the early-mid 90's. Like most 90s fans, I liked grunge, but unlike most 90's fans, I was mad that it killed off glam bands. I actually miss that music. And sound. I am a sucker for power ballads.

Dude...have you heard of Steel Panther???

Check them out!  ;)

http://www.steelpantherrocks.com/

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/10 at 8:55 am

Check them out!  ;)

http://www.steelpantherrocks.com/

Steel Panther are indeed awesome.  A welcome return to glam!

Written By: tv on 08/21/10 at 4:30 pm

Pretty much, along with Damn Yankees. They first came out in the spring of 1990, and slaughter's last hit was in late summer 1992 and Damn Yankees last was in April 1993. By August 1993, the '80s culture was 100% kaput: Cell phones and the Internet were starting to become a reality of the future even if not quite "there" yet, Michael Jackson was now tabloid trash for the rest of his life in the wake of the child seduction scandal, and grunge had saturated rock radio to the point that any rock that wasn't grunge or alternative was relegated to second class. It's unfortunate for such bands given the cultural changes, as they have some nice albums out there (and '90s material of many so called "80s" stars has become well-liked with most fans.) It was truly the end of an era.
Wow Slaughter had a hit near the mid-point of 1993? I'm shocked about that. I thought "Mr Big(s)" "Be With You" was the last major hair-metal hit in mid 1992 maybe I though it was.

I know a band like "Def Leppard" was still relevant in 1993 but they weren't really a hair-metal band I don't think well the way "Bon Jovi", "Winger", "Warrant", or "Poison" were!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/24/10 at 10:08 pm

Steel Panther are indeed awesome.  A welcome return to glam!

I honestly thought I was the only person who'd ever heard of 'em.  Quite possibly the most hilarious parody/celebration of the genre ever done.  It wouldn't be funny unless it was so spot-on.  It once came on random play when I had passengers in the car, I broke into song at the suggestion to MTV's program director, and by the end of the song, everyone was banging their heads like some video mashup of Bohemian Rhapsody and the intro to That '10s Show.

And now all three of their fans are now screaming "DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!" (Yes, there's a true-to-genre video, complete with 80s-style vignette set in a classroom with a stereotypically busty teacher, and even more awesome epilogue) in unison behind our keyboards.  

The video establishes it: the genre was dormant from the mid-90s until 2009, when Steel Panther claimed the title of "last relevant glam band".

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/10 at 9:22 am

I honestly thought I was the only person who'd ever heard of 'em.  Quite possibly the most hilarious parody/celebration of the genre ever done.  It wouldn't be funny unless it was so spot-on.  It once came on random play when I had passengers in the car, I broke into song at the suggestion to MTV's program director, and by the end of the song, everyone was banging their heads like some video mashup of Bohemian Rhapsody and the intro to That '10s Show.

And now all three of their fans are now screaming "DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!" (Yes, there's a true-to-genre video, complete with 80s-style vignette set in a classroom with a stereotypically busty teacher, and even more awesome epilogue) in unison behind our keyboards.  

The video establishes it: the genre was dormant from the mid-90s until 2009, when Steel Panther claimed the title of "last relevant glam band".

It looks like an awesome video!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/10 at 9:25 am

I also like this music video too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/25/10 at 4:59 pm

The local morning show DJ on the hard rock station here in KC has been plugging Steel Panther for the last month or so, he's having a concert Friday for his birthday and Steel Panther is going to play there. (I can't go, it's sold out and I'm going to the Chiefs game that night.)

From what I've heard they're all ace musicians who were in LA glam bands that didn't quite break through, and they formed Steel Panther as a parody band a few years back. (Arguably they could be the 21st century version of Spinal Tap.) They have lyrics that are over-the-top raunchy, sexist and misogynist and certainly not for the faint of heart, yet totally hilarious at the same time.

I really like this one, it's rude but funny: (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRcLYTijRw

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/10 at 12:05 pm

The local morning show DJ on the hard rock station here in KC has been plugging Steel Panther for the last month or so, he's having a concert Friday for his birthday and Steel Panther is going to play there. (I can't go, it's sold out and I'm going to the Chiefs game that night.)

From what I've heard they're all ace musicians who were in LA glam bands that didn't quite break through, and they formed Steel Panther as a parody band a few years back. (Arguably they could be the 21st century version of Spinal Tap.) They have lyrics that are over-the-top raunchy, sexist and misogynist and certainly not for the faint of heart, yet totally hilarious at the same time.

I really like this one, it's rude but funny: (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRcLYTijRw

their lead singer Mike Starr was in a Van Halen cover band and was briefly lead singer for LA Guns.  He was also in the 2001 film 'Rock Star.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/11/12 at 1:29 am

They're back, and they're going balls out, just like Tiger Woods.

It is the future. Year 6969. Somewhere out in Megaspace, the Pelosis of the Lesbodyke Nebula, in order to continue breeding after removal from the universe their last remaining enemy - men - created the PIL: Penile Impregnation Lingambot. Rezark SP, a prototype PIL, accidentally launched into chrono-space during the hyperfiber wars, has programmed a self replicating evo-loop and drifts for a kilo-year, alone and sentient in a tele-operative trajectory above Planet 3-S, formerly known as Earth. Lowering his astrogate to Planet 3-S, Rezark SP, the last surviving chrononaut, has a bad case of blueballsium and one thing on his hydro-mind: pon(even I have limits)ussy!

OeB_MLrdPfY

- Steel Panther, Supersonic Sex Machine.

HAvXHpLwJA4

- Steel Panther, If You Really Really Love Me (official video)

Both tracks from 2011's Balls Out.

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/12 at 9:59 am

Both tracks from 2011's Balls Out.

The album cover is fantastic.  I love how they made it look like an old used album that came from a record bin

http://espyrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Steel-Panther-Balls-Out-Artwork.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/11/12 at 12:47 pm

The album cover is fantastic.  I love how they made it look like an old used album that came from a record bin

http://espyrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Steel-Panther-Balls-Out-Artwork.jpg

Holy Crap! Look at that album cover.  :o

Written By: Creeder on 03/13/12 at 11:28 am

Hair metal is awesome, but it will never be back the way it used to. Steel Panter is great comedy hard rock band and I listen to them often.
And by the way there is a theory that hair metal continued to live in the 2000s in the form of post-grunge (Nickelback are like a hair metal band in modern days). Think about that. ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/13/12 at 7:12 pm

Hair metal is awesome, but it will never be back the way it used to. Steel Panter is great comedy hard rock band and I listen to them often.
And by the way there is a theory that hair metal continued to live in the 2000s in the form of post-grunge (Nickelback are like a hair metal band in modern days). Think about that. ;)

and don't forget the makeup they use to wear on stage.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/16/12 at 11:59 pm

I'd rather not.  Just because it's true, doesn't mean I want to think about it.

Steel Panther 2012 tour.

UK/Europe: Anytime in March.
USA: April-May 2012. (Hollywood, Vegas, Dallas, Houston / Cleveland, Ohio, Norfolk, Atlanta, then back to Vegas and Hollywood, then back to Europe, then back to Vegas for a couple of late summer shows.)

Check for new replies or respond here...