inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did long hair become uncool in the mid-late 90s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/30/10 at 8:49 pm

For those who remember, was there a brief period when long hair became uncool? I think from around '96-99 or so. I ask because in 1996-1997 you had quite a few notably long haired stars cutting their hair to short, conservative lengths, for example Metallica cut their hair in '96 to office cuts, as did Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose in '96.

Subject: Re: Did long hair become uncool in the mid-late 90s?

Written By: ADH13 on 08/30/10 at 10:27 pm

Maybe.  But I think being uncool was cool in the late 90's.  The last thing you wanted to be was part of the "in crowd".

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/01/10 at 2:39 pm

Absolutely not! Lots of long, straight hair was actually common around this time on women.

Written By: 90steen on 09/02/10 at 8:32 pm

I do remember a short hair look coming in style, around the summer before my senior year of HS, 1997. but long hair wasn't uncool at that time either, it was just another look.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 11:17 pm

Not shorter.  I think hairstyles became more natural than the used to be.  Big Hair by Dow, perms, bleach jobs, and so forth went out of style for mainstream women in the 90s.  There's nothing so romantic as a bad perm!
:)

Written By: Hud on 09/04/10 at 3:54 am

Everyone has their own perspective. The hippy look (long, straight/stringy or even unkempt) of the late '60's-mid '70's gave way to clean textures and feathering, due mostly to icon Farrah, in my opinion. After a decade or so, long hair/big hair became blase and boring for guys and Brian Bosworth's ('85-'90's) wacky but close cropped head began influencing young guys that began to revert to the cleaner cut, all-American manly feel of the '50's.
Women also seemed to begin phasing out the big hair look, going with not necessarily shorter hair, but more unpretentious, unteased, flatter styles...altho I still look back at women like Sheena Easton doing her sassy "Strut" vid of around '84 and think "ooooh baby!".
Clothes, hair, everything just seems to be an unsynched cycle. Whoever thought hiphugger big bell jeans would come back, but here they are.
It might be 15-50 years down the road, but I bet big hair returns sometime. I'm still waiting for the bald heads and one-piece silver jumpsuits we were all supposed to adopt by the year 2000 as we scooted around in our flying cars.

Written By: tnf on 09/07/10 at 11:50 am

I do remember a short hair look coming in style, around the summer before my senior year of HS, 1997. but long hair wasn't uncool at that time either, it was just another look.

The look of Nathalie Imbruglia in the Torn video (early 1998).  :)

Written By: JTCool on 09/07/10 at 4:57 pm

Faith Hill and Meg Ryan had hairstyles back then that kinda fit your description:

http://www.countryuniverse.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Faith-Hill-Faith.jpg

http://www.concentratedawesome.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/meg-ryan.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/10 at 9:14 pm

There was a brief period in the late '90s-early '00s where short hair was in style for guys, between the bowl cut of the mid '90s and the skater shag of the mid '00s.  Around 2003 the skater shag look became popular, which evolved into the emo swoop that is currently known as the Bieber haircut. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/08/10 at 3:41 pm

How about Jennifer Aniston? Her hair was short when she was on "Friends"...it still is today.

I myself like long hair, but since this year I was too damn depressed (especially on Laor Day Weekend) I decided to keep it short!

Written By: JTCool on 09/08/10 at 4:43 pm

How about Jennifer Aniston? Her hair was short when she was on "Friends"...it still is today.

I myself like long hair, but since this year I was too damn depressed (especially on Laor Day Weekend) I decided to keep it short!

Her hair has pretty much been the same medium length that she had when she had that "Rachel" style hair in the mid-90s. I think she did have it shorter during a time in the early 2000s but I never remember her having really short hair.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/10 at 12:07 pm

Was there a hot summer in the mid-late 90s?

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/27/10 at 9:35 pm

Was there a hot summer in the mid-late 90s?

I remember hearing that the summer of '98 was hotter than average.

Written By: Shiv on 12/27/10 at 11:59 pm

Long hair was definitely out in the late 90s-early 00s. I cut my hair short in 2000 after having a bowl cut for all of the 90s. No one I knew had long hair during that time. In 2005 I grew it back out into a skater shag. Its been varying lengths ever since, although I usually keep it medium because thats how both me and my girlfriend like it :)

Short hair seems to be back in for guys since the late 00s, but I've kept mine anyway. Don't like short hair.

Check for new replies or respond here...